DVD Player question - for smart people only

Chenoweth
Unregistered guest
Do all Progressive Scan DVD players work the same? Or do other Progressive Scan DVD players show better picture than others?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1933
No, they are not all the same. It depends on the chipset.

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 227
"Do all Progressive Scan DVD players work the same? Or do other Progressive Scan DVD players show better picture than others?"

Progressive scan players all try to achieve the same basic result: convert an interlaced image into a progressive one. Remember that DVD-Video is natively interlaced video, either NTSC or PAL depending on where you live.

But how the task is done is where the differences begin.

The fact here is that there are many players, from lowest end to highest, that deal with deinterlacing very well, moderately well, okay, or downright terribly.

If the disc is a filmed movie, then that means that the deinterlacer also has to deal with reverse 3:2 conversion in order to make it progressive with few or no problems. Please note that 3:2 pulldown is for NTSC. PAL uses a different pulldown ratio.

Also, there are players that detect progressive conversion modes from cadence detection, flag reading, or a combination of both. It's preferrable to have a player that can quickly and accurately determine how it must work purely from cadence. Flags are what's used on discs, but some discs are not flagged correctly which can cause some deinterlacing problems.

Generally, more expensive players are usually excellent performers (although not always).

However, one of the best progressive scan players is also fairly low cost, available online direct.

www.oppodigital.com

For better information about progressive scan DVD players:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_3/dvd-benchmark-introduction-9-2000.html

- Reinhart

Chenoweth
Unregistered guest
I'm looking for a DVD Player (progressive scan) with a DVI connection... for my 27" Widescreen Westinghouse HD-Ready TV. It supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i and has a inverse 3:2 pulldown...or something... The TV has a DVI connection. Any suggestions... Like at stores where I can go to... i'd go online but I wanna check stores as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us