KDF-55xs955 vs KDSR-50XBR1 vs HL-R5078W

Username: Jpcienkus

Post Number: 1
I've read through many of the threads and have a much better idea of what I want to purchase for my next gen TV. Thank you all for the great information. The three sets in my subject are my selections. I have DirecTV and an XBox.

An important factor to me are the number of inputs and outputs on the back of the sets. I've noticed that many of the new sets are limited in this manner. I would like at least three S video inputs. Only the Sony KDF model offers that many. I want to hook up my stereo, vcr, dvd player etc... to this unit.

Which of these sets would you buy and why? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 477
Joe,

Stay away from the 955. Some are having strange display failures after a year or so.

I own a Sammy, but that LCOS XBR1 is a fabulous looking set too. I think it may be the best 1080P image out there.

I'm not sure why you like s-video connections. They are restricted to low resolution formats up to 480i/p and only seperate black and white. (luminance) The component connection (Y, Pr, Pb) seperates color too. (chrominance)

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 36
I also want to question the need for S video connections. Does your VCR have S video output? Most recievers have the ability to switch S video via monitor out S video. S video does not carry 480p only 480i. You will need to upgrade your DirectTV settop box to a HD version and they only use component cables. You can use your own S video cables but only for standard video no HD. You should be more concerned about HDMI inputs because this is the future S video is the past.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us