DVD v HDTV

Alan Grant
Unregistered guest
Can someone help me here?
In terms of resolution/quality, is DVD video and HD TV equal to one another? I heard that they are on the same quality level, but I am now beginning to doubt this. And, if indeed HD TV is higher quality than DVD, what does that mean to the DVD industry? Will they still make DVD players/recorders in many years to come? I mean, the video is now dying fast and I don't want to think that my DVDs will soon be obsolete. This is definitely the most annoying thing about technology!!!

orion
Unregistered guest
DVD = 720x480 interlaced heavily compressed video

HD = 1920x1080 interlaced or 1260x720 progressive not so compressed video.

They obviously are not the same thing since HD has at least 3x the pixels compared to DVD.

It means that soon the DVD will be a dead as the new blue ray machines give you vastly higher quality. I heard the DVD = 4.2 gigs will soon be replaced by the blue ray with 25 gigs/disk. So yeah...technology moves forward to make us rebuy what we already have...they call it progress.

orion
Unregistered guest
I should have added...don't despair, you can't tell the difference between DVD or HD quality on a 50" screen at 8 feet, the normal tv watching distance. Your eyes just aren't good enough to resolve the details that far away. So your DVDs will be just fine until you get that 90" tv you have been dreaming about.

Alan Grant
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the specifications as well, Orion. However, do you think they will continue to make the 720x480 DVDs for a while to come yet? Also, I hope (assume) they will be backward-compatible - hell, surely they must be backward compatible. That's the case with playing CDs on a DVD player!
AFTERTHOUGHT: Anyway, if you are saying that you can't tell the difference between a current DVD and HD TV on a 50" (I only have a 28" widescreen)screen at the specified distance, surely the DVD 720x480 will be with us for a long time. I mean, there is no way that the vast majority of people in the world are going to be able to afford 60"+ plasma screens and what not for a long time - surely. I suspect that, initially, all these items will be very expensive.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us