HDTV necessities

annonymousHDTV
Unregistered guest
i am in the midst of getting a HD television. I know i will need a HD receiver and some cables but what else is needed with HDTV? will i need to buy HD cable every month or does the receiver handle it? i just dont want to buy the tv then have hundreds more to spend that i didnt know about. thanks for the help everyone.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Many HD sets are now fully integrated, meaning that they have the HD tuner and cable card slot built-in. The premium for such a set is usually much less than buying and leasing more equipment. You also save the cost of the cables. Yes, the cable company will charge you a monthly fee for HD channels that are not "in the clear", which are usually locals.

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 126
LOL, way to totally gloss over the fact that the integrated tuner only lets you get this benefit by receiving over the air boradcasts through use of an antenna. VERY few people are willing to go that route this day and age.
Cable card is super buggy and cuts out a huge set of very useful features that come with the cable box (On screen channel guide, FREE on demand programming and DVR functions). The amount of confusion I face over what exactly is the meaning of all this confusing nonemclature (HDTV vs HD Ready vs HD Monitor) is easily cut through once it becomes clear that most people use either cable or satellite for their source for programming and don't want to wrestle with rabbit ears or put up a rooftop aeriel.

annonymousHDTV
Unregistered guest
so are you guys saying a HD receiver needs to be bought along with a few cables and im set? no other costs involved?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 468
What kind of set? Make sure it has an ATSC tuner!
What kind of signal? Cable? Sat? Off-air? The digital ED/HD major networks are free with an old style VHF/UHF antenna. Go to http://www.antennaweb.com
and put in your zip to see what's available free in your area.

With a set top box you will need either component (Y, Pr, Pb) video cables or and HDMI digital cable. Sat companies have some deals going on HD receivers and DVRs. Some include a few free months of HD channels.

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 98
ALL sets over 36" have the ATSC/QAM tuner built in!

Forget antennaweb, go here instead;

http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us