Dvd copying illegal or not? whats your take?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3761
as far as i remember what they say now is "no unauthorized duplication is permitted" when a dvd movie loads on your player. My question is does that mean all dvd copying is illegal even if you own the dvd your copying? if so i say thats an unjustfied enforcable ruling of law. I understand that they want to stop piracy but im saying what about being innocent until proven guilty that is the american way is it not. I look at it this way a law can be an enforcable law but that doesnt make it GOOD or RIGHT. I wonder if this ruling stands they way im seeing it here and if so can this ruling be challenged in the court of law. Aside from the obvious magnatude of opposition could this be challenged none the less? One way im wondering if this could be done would be a class action suit??? maybe something else im not sure. Anyone have any input to share on all this?

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 599
You are right Sean, but;

They are trying to protect their investment.

It is so easy to just buy a dvd-r and burn a copy of a dvd. It takes minutes. It costs you at the most $100 (the cost of the initial burner unit). After that its just a few bucks per dvd.

It is extremely difficult to RISK everything and go all out and create something that others "might" buy. This process takes months, maybe years. This also costs the creator thousands, possibly millions.

Yes I understand your defense, but I trully believe it is not justice.

Lets look at it this way;

Say you go out and buy a pair of pants. You go home and you somehow are able to duplicate that pair of pants at a fraction of the cost that the original pair cost you. You do this because you want to have an extra set. You might even do this for your brother that needs a pair. You may even start to sell them to others for money, because afterall you are investing in materials and labor. Well that my friend is not justice. The creator has invested much greater research, money, risk, and everything else it takes to make something sellable. It took you a fraction of that, and now you are taking away his business at his expense. This is the reason they are so pissed off.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3764
"Lets look at it this way;

Say you go out and buy a pair of pants. You go home and you somehow are able to duplicate that pair of pants at a fraction of the cost that the original pair cost you. You do this because you want to have an extra set. You might even do this for your brother that needs a pair. You may even start to sell them to others for money, because afterall you are investing in materials and labor. Well that my friend is not justice. The creator has invested much greater research, money, risk, and everything else it takes to make something sellable. It took you a fraction of that, and now you are taking away his business at his expense. This is the reason they are so pissed off."

answer...

two things come to mind in my defense mixneffect

1. to use your example i copied above yes coping the jeans for yourself because you like them is legal and part of the freedom to create and possibly invent a new idea keeping in mind that patents and such play a role but what im saying is making those jeans for yourself wouldnt be illegal to do. Now move this on to copying a dvd you own for backup purposes and that alone and not giving a copy to my friends family etc i say thats fine and once again i state "innocent until proven guilty" is it not the american way?

2. to reply to the protecting their investment and dvd copying hardware being cheap i understand what your saying and I have thought about this as a valid concern for them and i look at it as if i was in their shoes. What im saying is this they should keep working on security to protect their investment but dont cut out the ones who follow the intended " I own it im just backing it up concept" at least make it a senario like microsoft is doing with windows xp and make it an online authentication process except the dvd would have a code that would be read in it and identified to prove its a valid bought dvd and then the dvd copy program would allow you to copy it for back up purposes keeping in tact all parties involved concerns yet not taking away from Law abiding citizens.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 604
Having a back up copy just for your convenience?

Well why dont you just go out and buy another dvd at regular price? Why duplicate it at a fraction of the cost and rob the creator of their invention?

I used the pants analogy because obviously pants are an everyday item and wear out. If you are able to duplicate pants, then you would only invest the initial pant investment, the duplicating machine initial investment, and material. This would still add up to a fraction of the cost that the original inventor has invested.

Lets look at it another way.

Taking your Digital Camera Recorder to the movies and recording the entire movie just so you can have a backup copy at home is not justice.

If you want to watch the movie again, you must pay the admission fee again.

IT IS WRONG anyway it is sliced.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3766
Having a back up copy just for your convenience?

Well why dont you just go out and buy another dvd at regular price? Why duplicate it at a fraction of the cost and rob the creator of their invention?

answer...How is making a copy of the original you paid to the inventor already robing them? Trust me in no way are you robbing them.

"I used the pants analogy because obviously pants are an everyday item and wear out. If you are able to duplicate pants, then you would only invest the initial pant investment, the duplicating machine initial investment, and material. This would still add up to a fraction of the cost that the original inventor has invested. "

Answer...This would only be illegal if you were in violation of a patent in some way (im not sure on this but i think this is right)

"Lets look at it another way.

Taking your Digital Camera Recorder to the movies and recording the entire movie just so you can have a backup copy at home is not justice.

If you want to watch the movie again, you must pay the admission fee again.

IT IS WRONG anyway it is sliced."

answer...yes its illegal because of exsiting rules and laws that exsist and its justifyably so.

ps...im not one of those bend the law because of loophole guys rather im a guy who stops and says is this law right or just that's also why its important that we live in a democracy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3767
I wanted to take the time here to say to everyone reading this post that I realized that talking about possible law action is not what the correct course of action should be. The reason i believe this is because according to the bible we are to go to the person directly first so im going to do that and hear the answer straight from the horses mouth.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 607
Are you a believer Sean?
What Denomination?

I was born again 11-5-03

Praise God! In everything I do, I try to give Him the glory.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3768
Yes I am. On may 2 1996 I confessed my belief inside a church but I was on a walk a few months before that. I just had to get the courage to enter the churches four walls. I grew up going to sunday school off and on in my younger years and left for many years until God got my attention once again this time he had my attention and its the best thing thats ever happened in my life. It's always pleasant to find another who's found God the father through his son Jesus Christ. When we know the real reality of God we cant help but give him Glory so yes Praise God!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3769
as for your question ... "What Denomination?"

My home church is Lutheran but God has had me at various denominations and has had me definately appreciate what it means to be part of the BODY of Christ. I dont define my belief by my denominations beliefs rather by the bible. (The word of God)

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 609
I grew up in Pentecostal family. And departed to live the life on the edge. I didnt want to be confined to limitations and so thats how I lived for many years.

My calling was 3 months before I became born again. On 08-03-03 God called onto me and asked me to come back. I had to be transformed and had a lot of things to let go of. I prayed for them asking God to take them away from me. I simply said.

"Jesus, take these things away from me. They are bad, and they do not glorify you name. I have tried many times to do the right thing, but I just can not do it by myself. They are no longer my responsability."

So as I prayed day by day, night by night, I realized that I started to be deliberated one by one.

During a prayer meeting for the baptism of the Holly Ghost a couple of months later, I recieved confirmation that I have been saved and recieved the Holly Spirit which gave me strength to fight against the flesh. This was the day that I consider to have been born again.

I frequent the youth night at my church. I have testified to the congregation my life, my past and how God has changed my life.

I testify now wherever I go. It doesnt matter if I am at work, at the gas station, or wherever, I have the power to testify of God the Father, the Son and the Holly Ghost.

Blessed Be His Name!

I am glad that you are a believer and that you have been born again.

Salvation is for everyone, and it is free.

Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

I am no longer bound to things of this world. I live my life for Jesus Christ. It doesnt matter what I may go through.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

God Bless You!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3770
God bless you as well brother and its amazing to me how many believers frequent this message board and i can tell you God is doing something with the ecoustics message board and im excited to see it

(its more than just the believers frequenting this site)

Username: Kmcool

Orlando, Fl USA

Post Number: 2
save your slime ball preaching for another day and forum

Username: Kravenblood

Post Number: 8
lol copying dvd or music cd for backup s still illegal at this point in time read an artical about it last year

Gold Member

Post Number: 3771
Kelly Mcright

no ones preaching here just TWO people having a conversation you dont have to read it if it offends you...last time I checked we still do have the freedom of speech

Peas
Unregistered guest
"no ones preaching here just TWO people having a conversation you dont have to read it if it offends you...last time I checked we still do have the freedom of speech"

I agree and since God does not exist you might as well be discussing the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. The only thing I worship is young nubile female bodies (over 18 of course).

Peas

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 614
Kelly,

Did you feel that Sean or I were preeching to you?

If so, how does preaching make you feel and why?

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 615
Peas,

What do you base your statement "since God doesnt exist" on?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3772
excellent questions mixneffect I learned something by your example

Gold Member

Post Number: 3773
"If so, how does preaching make you feel and why?"

This scripture comes to mind "we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against princeses and principalities of the air etc...."

Something to be seen there Peas and kelly but I point it out not to condem you but to get you to realize what your opposition is.

Peas
Unregistered guest
"Peas,

What do you base your statement "since God doesnt exist" on?"

I use the same premise as you in your belief that God does exist, my faith. The only reason you can possibly (and rationally) believe that God exists is through your faith. My faith tells me that God does not exist. I see no incongruity nor conflict between the two opinions. I'm not anti-preaching to you either, I have no problem with others believing in God anymore than I would have a problem with a small child believing in Santa or the Easter Bunny.

Peas

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 617
The only reason you can possibly (and rationally) believe that God exists is through your faith.

You have an excellent knowledge of the truth.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1926
You are allowed to make 1 backup copy of CDs and DVDs, as long as you keep the original. If you give away or sell the original, you are supposed to destroy the copy. But it's illegal to strip off CSS encryption, which you have to do to copy most DVDs. Doesn't make much sense, but that's the way the law reads.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3775
faith meaning what you choose to believe is that what your trying to say peas? If so I want to reply to this also stated by mixneffect " You have an excellent knowledge of the truth. " My question is what is truth? Ill tell you this truth is not a fact its more than that its the final reality meaning "As it is" it's absolute.

Peas
Unregistered guest
"faith meaning what you choose to believe is that what your trying to say peas? If so I want to reply to this also stated by mixneffect " You have an excellent knowledge of the truth. " My question is what is truth? Ill tell you this truth is not a fact its more than that its the final reality meaning "As it is" it's absolute."

Sorry, please again in English????

If you are somehow disagreeing with my prior explanation no need to respond. Also if you are implying that you are 100% certain that a supreme being you call God exists all that makes you is wrong somewhere between 1% and 99% unless you have a video record of some sort.

Peas

Gold Member

Post Number: 3778
Truth is as it really is. Thats my point and thats what I mean about it being absolute. Yes I believe in God and the word of God which is why there is an absolute truth. I cant make you believe in him but ask yourself some questions about the world around you and all the things in it seen and unseen then look at yourself your human body and its complexities to the deepest levels and ask yourself could I the human person happen by accident. Also ask yourself is there more to me than a physical shell ill tell you now there is more than that your body soul and spirit. All of which is according to the word but if you choose to say there is no God and the bible is just a book thats fine but still look at the world around you; and you the physical man and all i pointed out and ask the question where did i come from and is the bible true; and is there such a thing as truth; absolute truth; Gods truth.

Orlando, Fl USA

Post Number: 6
just looking for information about my tv not god or the easter bunny

Gold Member

Post Number: 3801
fine then just pass by what I wrote and youll be fine

Fl USA

Post Number: 9
God told Bush to invade Iraq so he must be real...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us