Sony SXRD 60 Inch vs Sony SXRD 50 Inch

Username: Cheapguy3

Birmingham, AL USA

Post Number: 1
I am considering purchasing either the Sony KDSR60XBR1 60 Inch Lcos RPTV or its smaller 50 inch brother. I want the 60, but have almost convinced myself that the 50 has a slightly sharper image. Since the stores never have these two side by side, it is difficult to make an accurate comparison. The two TVs are both using the same harware, so it makes sense that the 50 may have an edge over the 60. Am I just crazy or has anyone else seen the same thing?

Penzo
Unregistered guest
It all depends on how far away you are. Use this calculation for your seating distance at home:
height of screen/1080x3400=distance in inches
Basically, if you sit the normal 10 feet away from the display, your eyes will not resolve the detail of the 1080x1920 SXRD. It would be the same as having a 720x1280 display. Use the above calculation to see which size SXRD to get. I sit 6 and a half feet away so I need a display screen 24 and a half inches tall with 1080x1920.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 456
There are a number of factors involved. Provided they have the same 1080i signal, equal signal level input, and both are viewed from the same angle the 50 will look better from 8 feet. There will be no discernable difference from 10-12 feet other than the fact that the 60" will be more pleasing to watch from that distance.

I had the same situation come up with my 720P. The 50" looked better than the 61" from 8 feet. The lines are closer together on the smaller screen, so, it obviously makes sense.

There are more progressive lines being displayed in the (1080P) models you are considering. This helps when choosing a larger display. Some manufacturers are going as large as 67-71 inches with 1080P. They don't even offer those sizes with 720P.

I think the distance you will be watching from should be the deciding factor. Anything greater than 10 feet and I would spring for the 60" myself. It's going to perform beautifully.

Username: Karl9s

Post Number: 4
Great thread! I too am debating the merits of both of Sony's SXRD models. I got to see both side by side and the 50in won out by a hair ... it just looked better. After looking at the specs I see that the 50in has 2 HDMI inputs ... the first HDMI supports both video and audio but the second supports ONLY HDMI video. Why did Sony do that! Now I am wondering how best to connect my HD cable TV box (Time Warner) and my Sony DVD player (w/HDMI out). Throw in my Bose Lifestle 28 system into the mess and now I am even more confused. Good luck JB on your purchase! Both SXRDs are excellent IMHO when compared to the rest of DLPs out there.

Anonymous

Karl9s - check out the specs again. The 50 and 60" are the same w.r.t to HDMI. There are 2 HDMI connections both of which support digital video and L-PCM uncompressed digital audio over the HDMI cable. However one of the HDMI connections can also be associated with a L/R analog audio pair. The only question I have is that this is probably for the case where someone connects a DVI source with a DVI-HDMI cable/adapter -- and you probably can't force the TV to select the analog audio if it detects L-PCM audio over the HDMI cable.

Unregistered guest
I too am between the 50" and 60" . My concern is with the 50" I would sit closer to it than the 60" and the surface shinyness of the screen would be more of a problem.

Post Number: 5
Looks like its the 50in SXRD for me ... my first HDTV. I fought the urge to buy from Best Buy and Circuit City and opted to buy via an internet storefront. Stay tuned for updates when I receive the shipment.

Username: Chezman

I am also interested in ordering a Sony KDS-R60XBR1 but would like a reliable source & to save $$. Any suggestions?? Thx

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 503
Check their reviews.
Using a credit card will protect you.
Some cards extend the manufacturer's warranty an extra year.
Enter your zip for shipping cost.

http://ecoustics.shopping.com/xPC-Sony_KDS_R60XBR1

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=11403514&search=kds-r60x br1

Post Number: 6
I am anticipating delivery of my 50" SXRD this Friday. The internet storefront was very friendly when they called me to validate my order. I opted for the 3 yr extended warranty and white glove delivery. The total price was below $3400.00. When I take delivery and get everything set up, I'll add my 2 cents worth right here on this message thread.

Post Number: 7
Delivery will be as promised on 16 Dec 05. HDMI cables and Upconvert Sony DVD player and UPS power supply are in waiting now : )

(Fingers are crossed)

Username: Billrollo

Blackstone, Ma United States

iwas at my local retail store yeterday and he told me sony was having problems selling the 60" sxrd and would stop production. He was pushing the mitsibushi diamond series. any truth to this?

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 155
That is not true. They must not know how to sell them cause that TV is going nice right now.

Post Number: 8
My Sony 50" SXRD arrived as promised and was in pristine (brand new) condition. It truly lives up to all of the hype that folks are saying about it. Setup was a breeze, the internet storefront was exremely helpful, and delivery was clean and efficient. I could have not done better with Best Buy or Circuit City. I'll gladly answer any questions that you may have about my experience, just PM me. Cheers, KARL

jdieffe
Unregistered guest
To Karl9s.....Why are you installing a UPS for this TV? I know it's probably a good idea to protect an investment this large, but do you know a any cases where power surges/spikes are more detrimental to LCD sets over CRT's? What size (KVA) UPS did you get?

jdieffe
Unregistered guest
To Karl9s.........Why are you installing a UPS for this TV? I know it's probably wise to protect an investment this large, but do you know any cases where power pikes/surges are more detrimental to LCD vs CRT's? What size (KVA)UPS did you buy for this TV?

Username: Billrollo

Blackstone, Ma United States

Post Number: 2
to karl, how does regular tv, analog, look? i have been told that reg cable tv won't look that graet.

Post Number: 10
For Jdieffe ... I am installing an UPS because I live in very active lightning area that is also subject to power outgages. The UPS will allow the lamps cooling fan to operate in the event of an outage also.

William ... regular analog TV via my HDTV box is not as good as I could get with my former CRT. I upgraded my cable service with the HDTV package and also purchased an upconverting DVD player so I could take advantage of the HD features of my 50in SXRD. I am very pleased so far.

KARL

Username: Faramarz123

Post Number: 5
Karl.
what do you mean by "you bought an upconverting DVD player"?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Mars Houston ... Sony calls it upscaling, just means that the DVD output takes the video signal and converts it to 720P/1080I HDTV format via tyhe HDMI output jack. My previous DVD player did not have this feature.
KARL

Username: Faramarz123

Post Number: 6
Karl
I am planning to buy the 60" SXRD. but before I do that i may buy a DVD recorder. i am going to wait a little for the TV. i was planning to get the Panasonic DMREH50S from CC. the way you explained it, I don't think it would be a good idea to get this panasonic to go with the SXRD 60" because I think it is 480p format. what brand of DVD player are you using? I really like a DVD recorder with hard drive. do you have any suggestion?
Thanks again mars

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Mars Houston ... I bought the Sony DVP-NS90V DVD player. As for recording, I am using the DVR/HDTV Cable box from my local cable company ... and it works fine for me. My decision was quite simple on what brand of DVD player to get ... I wanted a Sony DVD player with HDMI to go with my Sony SXRD : ) Good luck to you ... KARL

Username: Amateur_mike

Post Number: 3
Two questions (more or less) for this informed group:
First, initially I was aiming toward the Sammy 6167W DLP, but then I understood the 6168W to be superior due to its 1080p capability. Now I've been told that the Sony SXRD 60" is the way to go if I don't mind spending the money. The truth is I don't mind if I'm really getting something. Any advice as to these three models (or others) would be appreciated.
Second, I will be viewing the set from about 9 to 10' feet away, with some view positions not quite straight on. Is this too close for the 60 inch so that I should opt for the 50" instead? Does the 1080p versus 720p make a difference here?
Sorry for my confusing and inarticulate questions. I'm very much an amateur, and while I'm fortunate that I can afford to shell out some real money for a great HDTV I do want to make a sensible and informed decision. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Mike ... I sympathize with your dilema as I too faced some challenging decisions in making my purchase. First off 720p vs 1080p is basically all about pixel density i.e. better resolution. It logically goes that with better resolution you can afford to sit a bit closer without perceiving a degradation of your picture (good if you have a large group of friends over to watch the Super Bowl). I weighed the quality factors of a Sammy vs a SXRD and went ahead to my local Best Buy to watch them side by side. IF you do this, compare both sets using analog, HDTV, digital, and DVD inputs too. DVDs are best viewed on an upconverting (upscaling) player with an HDMI cable. This was my deciding point to go with the Sony SXRD as it displayed upconverted DVDs much better than the Sammy (in my opinion). Lastly, I believe that Sony has the LCOS technology nailed down because they cut their teeth on the Qualia which was very high end and used commercially for years. Don't worry too much about being an amateur as we were all there at some point ... I am still "wearing my water wings" regarding HDTVs and their capabilities. Good luck in your decision. KARL

Thanks, Karl. That is very helpful.

Unregistered guest
Karl...May I ask which internet company you went with? I have researched a bunch, to include some local shops similar to Best Buy (one great shop called The Big Screen Store) and I am trying to decide if I should buy the same 50" you own from the store (so I have someone to see if anything goes wrong) or if I should save $1,000 by purchasing from the net. I'm glad to hear your store was fantastic, so who are they, and why them of all the choices?

jdieffe
Unregistered guest
To Karl9s; a little late but thanks for the feedback on the UPS. I set my new 60" SXRD up the day before Christmas without a UPS, but will put one online as soon as I have time to pick one up. Any advice on the size; KVA/watts?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
jdieffe ... Congrats on your new SXRD :-) I am certain that you are enjoying it. As for the UPS, I have a 750KVA and it works just fine for me ... I don't envision that there is much difference in the guts of a 50in vs 60in SXRD that would make it consume much more power than the other. As a test, I unplugged my UPS for a couple of mins and it powered everything just fine. On a final note, I have my TV, VCR, HDTV Cable Box, Bose Lifestlye System, and DVD player all plugged in to my UPS and it is functioning as advertised. Be sure to check out Cable Channel INHD2 today (hopefully your cable provider has it) You'll be in store for a nice treat ... they are playing IMAX shows all day long ... too cool. Happy New Year! KARL

Unregistered guest
I got my 50" SXRD last week and I must say I'm very impressed. Everyone that see's it, is blown away with the picture quality. Most of those people have HDTV's themselves. One in particular has a 57" Hitachi, and has vowed to have a 60" SXRD in the near future. I have a HD DVR cable box connected via HDMI, and it looks superb. One of the things that impresses me the most is the quality of analog signals. I have always been leary of buying an HD set becouse I have never seen analog look good on them. And unfortunatly we have to deal with analog signal for a while yet. I work part time at a Sears store, and look at TV's all day. Just looking at the SXRD drove me to buying it. Reading all the positive reviews really were the icing on the cake. My Xbox 360 also looks amazing on this TV!

chris 122975
Unregistered guest
i have a samsung 47" crt projector. it is great but three years old. am i really going to see a difference with this sxrd or dlp 1080p picture compared to a 1080i?? i know nothing is broadcast in 1080p but understand the upconverting and all that. will things be broadcast in the future at 1080p? i have an xbox 360 and my cable box to hook up to it while my current sammy only has one input using component video. no hdmi or dvi. did any of you notice a difference when you went form 1080i to 720p? my tv doesnt do 720p so i was wondering if 720p looks better than 1080i. i guess i am trying to justify buying a new tv when this one works fine. i wish i could set them side by side and compare. i am looking at the sony 50 sxrd and samsung hl-r5078w. by the way i have seen no bad reviews on either. thanks, chris -- ckeilholz@woh.rr.com

chris 122975
Unregistered guest
i have tried for last two days to post the last message but it wouldnt let me due to maintenance. but today i stopped at a local shop and saw the most unbelievable picture i have ever seen from a tv. yes it was the sony 60" sxrd. i about crapped myself. so now i believe that it has a better picture than my current sammy. but i couldnt compare it to a 1080p dlp of any kind as they dont sell them. it is kind of a upscale store and the only had lcd and plasmas. i also was told that both dlp and sxrd will need lamps replaced down the road, and that while dlp has the moving color wheel sxrd has NO moving parts. less to break, are these both true? i think i am sold but my wife is not happy about it. LOL. if i can convince her to let me, is there any down side to this sony sxrd set? and i really only want the 50 inch, is the picture exactly the same quality? i would say i have a moderate sized basement to view it in and about 6 to 10 viewing distance. thanks for all your input.
chris -- ckeilholz@woh.rr.com

flyboy219
Unregistered guest
Hi Karl...thanks for the information...i was close to purchasing the toshiba 1080P DLP but have seen horror stories about the bulb life. I spent an hour at BB and i think i am sold on the sony. Could you advise what online retailer you purchased from? Thanks a million.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
flyboy219 ... I bought my 50in SXRD from http://www.shopsunshine.com It took 10 days to arrive and after a month, it is working just fine ... KARL

Username: Corkko

It sounds like the sony's are looking good. I was wondering, I saw an article that says the slim version of the SXRDs shown at CES have 1080p HDMI connections. The current Sony's list dual HDMI connections but say they display 1080p. What, if any, is the difference in a HDMI and a 1080p HDMI connection.

flyboy219
Unregistered guest
Thanks Karl! I ended up ordering from onecall. About the same price. Was nervous about buying such a expensive item online but will wait and see.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 768
The Sony LCOS sets upconvert 1080i or lower to 1080p. They don't have a 1080p input, but upconvert all video media to 1080p. As there isn't any 1080p broadcasts in HDTV, this isn't a big deal. It could be a significant issue if the 2 new HD media (both Toshiba's HD and Sony's BLU-RAY)are given media that contains 1080p. Then the sets or the new HD or BLU-RAY dvd players would have to downconvert to 1080i and then upconvert back to 1080p. Also, if you are a gamer, it is possible that new games will be 1080p capable.

I am fairly confident that the next generation of Sony LCOS (SXRD)sets will have 1080p inputs. Currently HP is one of the few (maybe only) that have 1080p inputs. But the HP DLP, while listed as 1080p, performs this feat through wobulation--a process of essentially doubling the refresh rate on a 1080i signal. This is true of all current 1080p DLP's. Texas Instruments (the supplier of the DLP chipsets) will soon be releasing TRUE 1080p chipsets with LED lamps. Samsung is likely to be the first rerlease on these new true 1080p HDTV sets. The LED lamps should be a significant improvement over the current lamps and also provide a better color pallette.

Username: Corkko

Thanks Gregory :-)

Username: Boyoboy

Gregory,

Any idea when Samsung will have the new 1080p chipsets available.

KathyandAndyParr
Unregistered guest
I think I am ready to make the leap into hi tech TV watching. Currently my only hold back it the talk about the longevity of the 'bulb'. I can't tell from the sales people exactly what to expect from the SXRD. How long can I expect these things to last at $375 a pop? Unfortunately the TV is probably on 6-8 hours a day. I don't want to be paying that much a year but really want to get into the big screen (50").

Bronze Member
Username: Uhphikap

Post Number: 51
KathyandAndy,

The bulbs for the SXRD are not $375...should be around $200 unless you're getting ripped off. At my company, we'd never charge anything over $200 for a replacement. The only stipulation we have is that when we order them from Sony, we have to order 6 at a time. That's it.

Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas
1-866-827-3489
tapeworksbrian@sbcglobal.net
http://tapeworkstexas.com/home_theater.html

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 209
On Sonystyle.com the bulbs are $299.99. The Sony SXRD once again can take a 1080p signal when its avalible through a source(ie BlueRay or HDDVD)via HDMI.

TVone
Unregistered guest
The SXRD cannot accept 1080P signals.
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KDS_R60XBR1/4505-6484_7-31481141.html?tag=lst

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 214
First off it states it can resolve a full 1080p signal.Second few other states state the same.Thridr its like saying a 1280x720set cant do 720p.

TVone
Unregistered guest
Sorry, I forgot you are a Best Buy employee, here is a link explaining why 1080P TV's don't accept 1080P inputs, try educating yourself instead of arguing.
http://www.cnet.com/4520-11246_7-6388574-1.html?tag=txt

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 217
Well sorry i got info straight from a Sony rep.He said there is no way to really judge it right now.Even if they cant when the time comes they will have a way.Plus KDMI supports 1080p.

greg beckman
Unregistered guest
What would Direct TV digital signal look like on the 50 or 60" SXRD. Do I need to get the Direct TV HD receiver. I know that analog won't look good, but what digital signal

TVone
Unregistered guest
It would look great!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
The Sony KDSR50XBR1 and Sony KDSR60XBR1 will not accept and directly output a 1080p signal. They will indeed take the signal it, but will downconvert the 1080p to 1080i, then process it back to the screen at 1080p. The average, and even the above-average consumer is not going to be able to tell the difference between a true 1080p picture, and a picture that is processed in this manner. I personally don't think if I looked at 2 TVs side by side, one each way, that even I would be able to tell the difference between the 2 nor pick out which one was which. There are people out there who can, those with very well-trained eyes. The other thing to consider is that even though Blu-Ray and HD-DVD may be able to output 1080p, do you think the media, the content is going to be in 1080p? Not any time soon, therefore you will have the same effect, where the player will upconvert from 1080i or whatever to 1080p for the output.

I hope this helps those of you who are trying to find information about 1080p.

Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Thank you, Brian.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
greg,
I own a 60" SXRD. While I think the non-HD digital picture looks first rate, the difference between HD and digital is very substantial. I think it is hard to justify buying the SXRD if you don't intend to view HD. One practical consequence of non-HD viewing is that the picture will not look good at all from a closer range. I sit about 9 feet away from my 60", and HD looks spectacular; but digital looks much mcuh better from farther away.

Unregistered guest
Would this set make a good computer monitor? I can only justify $4k on a monitor if I will be able to integrate a media center PC (with requisite high quality video output) My expectation is to be able to use the computer as a workstation during the day and a Home Theatre in the evening. I was amazed that Circuit City even tries to sell other TV with this in the store. My wife is already on board, but I want to prevent an impulse decision I can't work with later. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
"Would this set make a good computer monitor?"

I don't see why not...burn-in would not be an issue you have to have to be concerned with. The only thing I would worry about are the lamp hours if you plan on having it on 10-12+ hours/day between using it as a workstation and a Home Theater. It will add up quickly.

Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas
1-866-827-3489

Stamboa
Unregistered guest
Any suggestions on a surround sound system with the SXRD? Obviously I'm looking for a system that has an upconverting dvd player. Should I go with Sony's wireless DAV100FXW 5.1 system? And also, any recommendations on online sites to purchase from? thanks for the help!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Stamboa,

Haven't confirmed this myself, but it's been rumored that the wireless systems are just not ready for primetime yet. On the online sites, I'm kinda partial, but TapeWorks Texas is a great place to pick up your electronics.

If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas

Username: Tolawyer

Toronto, Ontario Canada

I've been looking at both the 60 inch SXRD and the 50 inch SXRD. Actually, I've put a deposit on the 60 inch and it will be delivered when I give the go ahead and pay the balance owing. My issue is the Green Glob everyone is talking about. I heard that at least 50% of all sets have it and that is making me hesitate going through with the deal. If I am paying so much for a TV, allowing for the possibility of the odd defective unit, I should be entitled to get something designed to work properly and without such a significant design flaw.

So my questions are

Have any of the respondents to this discussion noticed the green glob on their units?

and

Has this problem appeared on both the 60 inch and the 50 inch or just one of them, and if so, which one?

I look forward to your answers.

Best wishes,

TOlawyer, Toronto

Unregistered guest
Tolawyer,
I have had the 60 inch for about a month. Love it. No Green Glob. I suspect that the extent of this problem has been greatly exaggerated -- are you sure that this problem is identified with the SXRD and not some other Sony model? I say go for it with confidence.

Username: Tolawyer

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
I am sure that the problem is identified with the SXRD. There are all kinds of discussions on it on the internet message boards, although none of the so-called professional reviewers have noticed it.

I got worred when I noticed it myself in a local Sony Store just yesterday (a few days after putting down the deposit on the 60 incher).

Actually, to be completely honest, the Green Glob issue was an issue with another Sony product just two years ago. Remember that 40 inch CRT TV? It was model No. 40XBR800. It was a BEEOOOTIFUL TV, but for the fact that it also had a Green Glob problem. I was all set to buy that TV until I noticed it myself on EVERY unit that I inspected in the stores. So I thought OK, this product, despite its overrall super picture quality, was just one of those exceptions to Sony's history for producing for above-average products and Sony would know better than to market a product without working out all its major kinks in the future. I thought, as far as the Green Glob was concerned, the chances of it appearing again in another product would be almost nil.

Then here it is again on its best TV (for the average consumer) two years later. What really made me woried is that just the other day, in a local Sony Store, I saw the Green Glob again in one of these units with my own eyes.

So what am I doing? Before I give up on the thing completely, I'm going to as many stores as I can that stock the thing in the Greater Toronto Area and discretely check out the screen to see how prevalent it is in the display models. I figure if I do not see it again, chances are the problem has been exaggerated. But if it appears in more display models, then I'll know that it (and possibly Sony) is so flawed that I better pass on it.

Will let you know.

By the way, what do you think about the 1080p input issue? As you should be aware, although the TV will display a 1080p broadcasted signal, it cannot display 1080p material from external inputs. Rumour has it that that capability has been reserved for the next generation of SXRDs. Obviously that was not a concern for you, since you bought the set. So I'm curious why you chose to buy it now and not wait for the 1080p input capablity, which Sony will probably integrate this year in its future SXRD model.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Best regards,

Tolawyer

Stamboa
Unregistered guest
Thanks Brian. I will check out your online site.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 240
A good system for the price would be Sony DVP70NS upconvert DVD player would be a good source. I would say go with a Yamaha 5850 and Klipsch Quintet III with Sub-10 or Sub-12.

Jake Prothurt
Unregistered guest
I have the DVP70NS upconvert player and noticed weird thing. On 720 or 1080 the black bars are bigger than on 480. Dont know if picture being squeezed or what. I kept it since it is all around good player, just wanted you to know about this issue.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 243
You have to prolly set your menu.Turnm you player on and hit display.A menu will come up go to setup,click,go over to the custom part.Here you can set your audio and video.Go to video set it on 1920x1080.Turn the output to RGB.Put the screen display on 16:9.Go to audoi and put setting on higher like freguency and stuff.If Problem still happens go in your screen menu on the TV setup and put the 4:3 overide and widescreen mode on full.These steps should fix your problem.

Username: S4channels

I've read other boards, but this seems to be one of the better. Thanks all. I too am a novice, though after weeks of online research and one in-store viewing, I lean very aggressively toward the SXRD 50". Now my dilemna is where to buy. I've been looking at the link below, partly becasue I like to see the customer ratings. SCAREY!!

Karl9s, you've posted very useful info, and I appreciate you also sharing where you bought. I looked them up in the NY BBB and they have a poor rating. I feel like it's a crap shoot if you're trying to save some money over CC or Best Buy and buy online. I'm very interested in any other recommendations for sourcing. Brian, I will check out your site too.

Anyone know how to verify if someone is an authorized Sony reseller? And how much difference does that make? The warranties seem pretty outlandish as well (particularly compared to CC or BB), but I'd be afraid to purchase without an extended warranty. Anyone have any thoughts?

Username: Johnd7

I just purchased the SXRD 50 from ButterflyPhoto.com
They were real nice and made me a great deal. 3158.00 which included, tax, shipping, a 3 year in home warranty and a 3 year bulb warranty (3 Bulbs. And also gave me a Monster HDMI cable for $79. If you call, ask for Paul at x255 i think it was.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 267
No online retailer can give you a manufacturer warranty.Cause there not a authorized dealer.If you go to Sony and put a site in nothing will come up.D Snyder i would read when you get it.Pretty much everyone only covers one bulb in there extended plan.

I said nothing about a manufacturer warranty, although I believe you are wrong that no online retailer can give one. What about Brian from Tapeworks that is around on this board, I am pretty sure he does and I have talked to others that do. Regardless, I got a three year extended warranty in home and a SEPARATE three year bulb warranty (up to three bulbs). No need to argue as that is what I got, I read all the details prior.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 272
Nope cause someone was even talking about Tapeworks was not a authorized dealer.The only way to beat the price you got is the they way i got my price by working at a retail store.

Post Number: 10
I recall Brian saying he gave the Mfr. Warranty. The place I got mine online explicitly states they include the Mfr. Warranty. Many of these online retailers operate brick and mortars under different names which may make a difference. Either way, I believe you are wrong about no online retailers giving Mfr. Warranty.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 276
Its almost like that cause if you call Sony or search a online retailer you will not see them on Sony's list.Only authorized dealers is what Sony will cover under warranty.Also some companies will not cover TV's that are open box at places.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
"No online retailer can give you a manufacturer warranty.Cause there not a authorized dealer."

This is false. Any dealer (online, brick and mortar, or otherwise) can sell you a TV with full manufacturer's warranty as long as they are buying direct from Sony USA. TapeWorks Texas is a Sony Authorized Dealer and has been for years. You've just never heard about us because we have sold Sony's Pro line instead of Consumer line, and we are just now beginning to sell the Consumer products.

"Pretty much everyone only covers one bulb in there extended plan."

May be true for other warranties, but Mack covers up to 2 replacements of the bulb in the 3-year duration of the warranty. Feel free to read it yourself here: http://www.mackcam.com/warranties/3yearbulb.html

If you have any further questions, please let me know, and drummer03, please do not give false information about my company. If you have issues with me for whatever reason, please feel free to call me direct and discuss them, as I am happy to answer any questions you may have. Thanks.

This also goes for anyone out there who has any questions, please don't hesitate to call me, as I am always happy to talk to all of you. I am in the office from Monday-Friday, generally from 9AM-5PM, Central Time. If you would prefer to email, I am happy to answer your questions via that method, and if you would like a quote via email, I can do that as well, just send me your name, city, state, zip code, and the item or items you are interested in and I will email you a quote as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas
4930-B Dacoma Street
Houston, TX 77092

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 285
Well sorry for the misconception but i have heard and see first hand about online sites.No i have never heard of you because i do not buy tv's from online.Never have had a reason too nor have i ever bought a low line Sony.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
No problem. Just don't let it happen again.

It's a common misconception, usually created by the people who work in the Brick and Mortar stores to keep people interested in paying the outrageous prices that are offered there. I've experienced it myself firsthand here in Houston at Best Buy and Circuit City, both. Kinda made me laugh.

By the way, there is some more good news on the 2006 SXRD Models forthcoming: 70"

Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas
4930-B Dacoma Street
Houston, TX 77092

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 288
No problem. Just don't let it happen again.:-) Might....

Username: Northern_tier

Brian:

I'm interested in purchasing a Sony 50" or 60," so I checked out your on-line site. You appear to be offering a good deal on the Sony's, however, I happen to notice that your outfit is also a big "JVC" retailer.

How are you guys dealing with the JVC "600 hour" average bulb life problem? JVC seems at a loss has to how to correct it. (Am I correct on this?)

I ask because I came very close to buying a JVC 55" LCoS (fantastic picture, by the way at a fantastic price) but am now considering Sony's LCoS based XBRS because of their high quality and supposed longer bulb life. (I trust one can still expect 3,000 to 6,000 hours life for a Sony bulb).

As an apparently knowledgable person, please enlighten us regarding JVC vs. SONY on the bulb life of each. As I see it, the bulbs are were the Gremlins live.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Ed,

To be completely honest with you, I don't think the bulb issues were ever as widespread as it appeared to be. You have people coming to forums to complain/look for solutions, which is excellent, but you have to understand that these are people who are doing just that.

To put it in perspective, out of all of the HD-ILA TVs I have sold, I've had one customer come back to me with a bulb problem, and his was with less than 10 hours on the set, so it was obviously some sort of defect with that particular bulb. Also, as I've noted before, I am a proud owner of the HD52G886, and have been since August 2005. I've not had a single problem with my television, and I love my TV. I have this forum to thank because the really long thread about the HD-ILA TVs is the reason I bought one to begin with, and the reason TapeWorks Texas began selling these TVs is because I started looking at the prices everywhere and then looking at what I could get it for through the company from JVC.

With all that said, I believe that JVC did indeed have a problem with a fair percentage of the bulbs in the HD-ILA TVs, but that it has since been corrected, as I don't see anywhere near the problems with the newer units. Also, as another note, though I love my JVC TV, if I were in the market for a new big screen today, I would get the Sony 60" over the JVC. Not necessarily because I think it's a superior TV, but because I think it's the best bang-for-the-buck option currently available. The JVC would, of course, be a close 2nd.

On to bulb life, the JVC bulbs (TSCL110UAA) are rated to last between 4,000 and 6,000 hours, and the Sony bulbs (part number escapes me right now, and I'm not at the office to look it up) are rated to last 6,000 to 8,000 hours.

If there is anything else I can do, please let me know.

Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas
1-866-827-3489

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us