Hdtv ready pls read

Username: Jamesh

Uk

Post Number: 1
hi guys very new here now im going to ask some questions and want answers now lol well i just ordered a new tv which is hd ready but i want to know if i can buy a external tuner that will make it run high def transmission see he thing is i wont be getting sky hd as my parents wont let me lol and well im only really going to be using it when i get a xbox 360 but i just wanted to know how much im looking at for tuner these are the specs for it

Display size diagonal: 42"
Resolution: 852 x 480
Brightness: 1000cd/m2
Contrast Ration: 3000:1
Video Inputs: D-Sub 15, DVI (with HDCP), YPbPr/YCrCb(Supports HDTV)
Maximum Audio Output: 20W (10W x 2)
Scart Sockets x 2
Progressive Scan
Picture in Picture
Teletext
Stand included
Speakers in seperate box
1 year RTB Warranty
Dimensions: 1354x388x851mm
Weight: 51kg

so can i use it to get high def quality for when i get my 360 and i think it can run in 720p mode will that still make games and dvds look better please leave remarks below

thanks a million

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 520
First, your native resolution of 852 X 480 falls short of the minimum HD resolution agreed upon in the US, which is at least 1280 X 720. Your display would be classified as an EDTV, or Extended Definition TV. This is not to say that a HD signal wouldn't look absolutely splendid on your TV, however.

Second, as I understand it, over-the-air broadcast of HD in the UK is still months away, although I think there's some limited HD broadcasting in Germany now. Separate HD tuners will most definitely be available in your area. The cost for such tuners here average $200-250US. Separate tuners are a dying breed as most HD TVs are sold here have built-in HD tuners (as of Jan. 2005). So if I were you I'd kick back and wait to see what free HDTV programming becomes available in your area. Then you can check out your tuner options and cost.

Meanwhile, enjoy your 360 when you get it. :-)

Uk

Post Number: 3
hi many thanks for ya answert but just wanted to know you reckon i will be able to get high def picture im not bothered about it for tv as i wont be getting sky its just for my xbox 360 so can ya tell me what i will need to get in order to play xbox360 in high def it says it has progresseive scan that will still give a better pic than most tvs wont it mate i do want a hd tuner are they easy to get hold of i have seen ones that are switches and they switch the source or something so you think of i get a tuner the tv should show a really good picture pls reply thanks

Username: Grimesy

Post Number: 1
Please help! I just purchased a mits-62525 DLP. I obviously want the absolute best picture i can get out of it. I have direct tv and they offer receivers to buy. Question is which one do i want and also was told that the cables to hitch the whole system up matter greatly to. Do i need any special cables to hitch the system up to the new hd receiver for better quality pic? If so, what do i need? Thanks a bunch guys! Please help me! Also any opinions on this T.V.? Good, Bad?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 523
james,
All you need to do is hookup the Xbox 360 component HD AV cable which will come with the unit and will be sold separately as well. The red/green/blue wires will go into the Y-PBPR inputs on the TV. You will most likely have to configure the Xbox to output in progressive scan mode. Your TV will then scale the best possible picture from the Xbox's output video signal.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 524
greg,
Since you have one each DVI and HDMI inputs on your set, you want a receiver that supports one or the other. Either one will do (HDMI is preferable because it is not as length sensitive as is DVI) and will give you the best possible picture on your TV. You needn't spend a fortune on cabling either. Failing that, you will have to do with component hookup which is still very good.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10209&style=

I have not had experience with your TV, but I'm sure it's a very fine TV indeed.

Uk

Post Number: 4
hi john s

is there any kind of switch i can buy that will for my spec tv let the picture run in 1080 mode as i know it runs 720 progressive scan really wanna know this website has something i think i need tho i am not sure so could you check it for me is this a switch so i can change the resoulution to 1080 many thanks

PLASMA COMING TUESDAY AN XBOX360 FOR XMAS CANNOT F**KING WAIT LOL

Cheers

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 525
james,
Just because 1080 is a higher number than 720 does not necessarily mean it's better with all equipment. In fact, 720(progressive) will show fewer motion artifacts than 1080(interlace). This is of great importance not only for sports broadcasting but also for gaming. My point is that even if the "switch" you seek did exist, it probably would not produce a better picture on your plasma. For the time being, trust your new TV to give you the best possible picture given the signal fed into it.

Sounds like your Xmas will be full of fun....

Username: Grimesy

Post Number: 2
O.K. thanks James. Now knowing that, is anybody out there fimiliar with the receivers that direct tv sells, one is hd and the other is hd tv dvr, the price difference is 200 dollars, is it worht it and do they both have the hdmi output that i will need. James, does the hd receiver come with cabling that i need, or is that something i need to buy seperatly.?

Uk

Post Number: 5
i just got my plasma last night an boy oh boy am i happy its excellent dvds have never looked so good i played the animated films on it eg finding nemo toy story monsters inc and shrek and im amazed the plasma cost just £849.99 and its a knock out hd ready system all i need now is my xbox 360 to complete the system played my old xbox games last night on my chipped xbox had a go at burnout revenge was nearly sick at the sight oh how fast it became on that screen it amazes me i have collection of 500+ dvds at home and i plan to watch everyone again jus for the sheer joy of how big and beautiful it is damn my room is so good looking now 5.1 surround to boot my life has never been better lol thanks for all ya advise john s

james

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 541
You are very welcome james. I know you'll be in heaven when the Xbox gets there.

Uk

Post Number: 6
is my tv high def with a resoulution of 852x480 will it display 720 mode

fx
Unregistered guest
James,

You have an EDTV not an HDTV. It will likely display a 720p input but it will display the picture in the native resolution of your display.

xvxvxvx

East hamUk

Post Number: 7
so that measn what as i aint up to speed with the whole high def thing can you pls explain to a dummy like me
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us