The best 50"-56" 1080P DLP today?

Username: Jamesjm

New York, NY USA

Post Number: 2
With what is out there today, what 1080P DLP has the best all-around picture and quality?

Anonymous

Purchased the Samsung HLR5678W. Narrowed it down between it and the Toshiba 56MX195. Both very nice sets. The HLR delivers a great crisp picture. Paid $3500 for the set and a 5 yr. extended service for $350. Sound Advice.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 88
Samsung HLR rules the DLP 1080P right now. 10,000 to 1 contrast. Excelent picture.

Herb431
Unregistered guest
Mystro, I hope your last post was a joke. If you knew anything about the technical details of measuring ANSI or sequential contrast ratio, you would know that 10K:1 is impossible. And if it were, it would be impossible to measure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Well thats what Samsung advertises ;)
HLR has to 10,000 to 1 contrast.
I let the picture speak for itself.

Username: Chasp

Tampa, FL

Post Number: 3
Also the Mits 52628 DLP is a top pick.

Love my 52628, it gives my Loewe 38" Aconda a run for it's money!

Chas

Herb431
Unregistered guest
There is a lot of lying going on (or at least stetching the truth) when it comes to specs. For DLP makers, contrast ratio is kinda like bragging at the urinal, if you know what I mean.

Anonymous

Is the Samsung HLR5067W 50" DLP their latest 50" HDTV available, and more importantly, does it have the HD3 chip?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 453
No! The models ending in 68 and 78 are the latest 1080P technology from Samsung.

The 67 you mention is a 720P model and does have an improved version of the HD3 chip.

The newer 1080P models don't seem to have reference designations for their chips.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Samsung calls their latest 1080p set(HLR68 or HLR78) Generation-6 or Gen-6.

Hannspree
Unregistered guest
FYI,
Some over at AVS are starting a fuss about some 1080P displays not deinterlacing the full 1080i. Something akin to only 540X1920 deinterlaced then scaled. Which sets do or do not was to be posted but nothing yet. I was under the impression the 1080P displays showed full resolution as stated in all the manufacturers claims. Your thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 462
It's full resolution, alright, but there are different ways to get there.

We could talk about vertical interpolation otherwise known as "bobbing" before scaling or HP's "wobulation" (pixel duplication) technique added to the Texas Instruments DMD chip. We could try to figure out who's scaling processor is better. Is it Realta or Faroudja or somebody elses?

How about true HD content!
Will new productions be shot fully in true HD or will they slide in some SD content scaled to HD like some multi-camera sporting events are doing today? I guess that network just couldn't afford all those new HD cameras. How about the conversion of existing film assets? Will it be done right or will short-cuts be taken? (The first year episodes of Law and Order are scaled 480i, not true 720P or 1080i.) Does everybody see the difference or just us videophiles?

Undoubtedly, there are going to be a few people that purchase an HD television and then sit back 12 feet from it and miss the whole experience. And yes, others will hook up the s-video and think it looks awesome. hehe

This stuff can get down right confusing to the experts, which leads me to believe that the average Joe is probably a total lost ball. My neighbor owned an HD set for two years. He refused to pay for HD cable or a sat service, and was content with his attic antenna watching the analog feeds. He had no idea whatsoever that Dallas offers free digital ED/HD network off-air programming until I brought it to his attention. After auto-programming his ATSC tuner, needless to say, he was blown away. It was there all the time!

Oh....about true 1080P...from true 1080i...
It is possible!

The Faroudja DVP1080 HD video processor will do it for about $6995. It can be found in this DILA front projector costing a mere $37,995.

http://ultimateavmag.com/videoprojectors/905faroudja/

Do you think they're putting that processor in todays RPTV's? I don't think so!

How about true 720P from a true 1080i signal?
Do you think today's RPTVs are converting 1080i to 1080P before scaling to 720P for display on 720P sets? I don't think so. The likely cost efficient method is to convert 1080i to 540P and then scale it to 720P.
If you want to watch true 720P on a 720P set it better come broadcasted that way, which only ABC and Fox networks have decided to do. All other networks are broadcasting 1080i.

Let's face it, scalers are very good these days.
Scaling is not going away. For the most part they get the job done. The images are so much better than the analog crap we grew up with. In time they may improve even more. Does it really matter how they get the image to look great as long as it looks great to you at a price you can afford?

Hannspree
Unregistered guest
I think I understand. At least now I know why football on Fox (720)looks so much better than on CBS (1080) on my 720p lcd.

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 95
How about the famous audio sync issue with the Sammys'??

1080p
Unregistered guest
IMHO, the HP 1080p is the leading DLP set at this time. There are other good choices as well from Sammy, Mits, etc., but I don't have any doubts at this point that the HP is the best of the current crop of DLPs.

Others agree as well:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=876&page_nu mber=1
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us