Which DVD player to buy?

Exinferis
Unregistered guest
Hi all! Just stumbled upon this wealth of information while desperatly trying to figure out which DVD player to invest in!

I've been looking for a Divx player and it started out as a get-the-cheapest-one search, but it's progressed into a Panasonic-or-Samsung quest!

I've got a 3 year old Panasonic TV (TX-28PB50) which came with it's own Surround Sound system, but it's never been Earth-shakingly good when playing DVD's, so was looking at getting a player with an internal 5.1 decoder, but wasn't sure if the quality of audio would improve with my current set up. I've also been toying with the idea of an HD ready player, but, as I'm in the UK, don't know how useful it'll be in the short term.

The two players I've been thinking of are the Panasonic DVD-S49 and the Samsung DVD-HD850; both are available for just under £100.00.

On the cheaper front (which would please my bank manager!) the Panasonic DVD-S295 is an option as is the Samsung DVD-P355. I like both these machines and the only major difference that I can see between them and their respective big brothers is that the latter two machines output 2.1 channel sound instead of 5.1.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these machines? Is there a great deal of difference between 2.1 and 5.1 channels? My TV states that it outputs DD and DTS, but not sure how well it will do this with the speakers supplied with it.

Is there another player anyone can suggest? My needs are few! The only thing it HAS to do is play Dvix and (preferably) be firmware upgradable. And last longer than the Yamada I currently have!

Any advice would be grately appreciated!

Cheers!

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 182
The Pioneer DV-588A is a better choice than the Panasonic and especially Samsung.

The DV-588A uses a better MPEG decoder than either player, is faster, supports DVD-Audio and SACD, uses one of the best DVD traverses around, has firmware that can be updated by a CD or CD-R containing the appropriate ROM image for that model, and also supports Divx.

Or, if you want a player that has one of the BEST progressive scan capabilities EVER, visit the following webpage:

www.oppodigital.com

I advise considering either the Pioneer DV-588A or the Oppo.

Qualitywise, Panasonic is an iffy and aren't what they used to be after they changed from the platform that had the excellent DVD-RV30.

Samsung DVD players are something that I totally recommend against getting for whatever reason! - Reinhart
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us