Charter DVR... Does it need to be from them?

Anonymous

Our one-year plan (expanded cable, high speed internet, DVR, etc.) is ending with Charter, and we've fallen in love with the idea of having a DVR. I called Charter to see which models would work with their system, and they said that only their DVRs would work. In other words, they have to program the DVR in order for the on-screen guide and other DVR functions to work... and they'll only program the DVRs that they rent out.

I like Charter, but I think this is a little unfair. For us to keep the DVR, it'll cost us $10 each month. It's not a bad price, but I'd rather buy a DVR than rent one from them.

Does anyone know which models would work with the Charter system, and how I can go about "programming" it to work with their system? Is this even possible?

Thanks for your help!

fx
Unregistered guest
I like Charter, but I think this is a little unfair. For us to keep the DVR, it'll cost us $10 each month. It's not a bad price, but I'd rather buy a DVR than rent one from them.

I bet you would, wouldn't we all? However I don't see how you consider this unfair, after all it is legal and makes good business sense for them and you for that matter.

Good for you because if you could purchase one and it broke, which it surely will, and break often, you will be paying for one service call after another. Let's discuss what happens when your DVR is outdated. You gonna buy a new $700 DVR every 18 months or so? At any rate it is a much better deal to lease from your cable company, since this is your only choice you actually got lucky.

Does anyone know which models would work with the Charter system, and how I can go about "programming" it to work with their system? Is this even possible?

First question is irrelevant due to my first response above. The next question is easy, no, not at all.

By July of 2007 cable companies will be required to offer you the ability to purchase your own cable box. The original date of the FCC rule was July 2005 but was postponed for two years. Personallly I hope this rule is never implemented. Too many people are penny wise and pound foolish for this to ever be successful.

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

I called Charter Cable and was told that a store bought dvr recorder would work on analog cable. They did not ask me about what model it was. I'm having trouble getting it hooked up to my tv. I have a dvd/vcr hooked up already. Can you tell me how to hook it up? Thanks.

CZ631
Unregistered guest
I have charter dvr, magnavox tv, toshiba vcr/dvd combo. there is only one set of AVI on the tv.(charter is using the AVI) how do I hook the tv to the dvd player?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us