Lcd or Plasma which is the better investment.?

Username: Mdw64

Post Number: 1
Looking to buy a 40" to 42" flat screen tv.I have been reading alot of bad things about plasma,so lcd's sounds like a better item.I just want what everybody else wants a good tv for the $2500.00 investment any advise would be great thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Cuylar

MN USA

Post Number: 93
What do you want to use the TV for?

Post Number: 2
for just watching tv&dvd's

Post Number: 3
just for watching tv,dvd's

Bronze Member
Username: Cuylar

MN USA

Post Number: 100
Plasma would be fine for that. What are you worried about?

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 90
LCDs actually are more problematic. But they arent competitive pricewaise at 40 or 42 inches so no need to debate. Please visit visualapex.com and get an update on what pricing at your size displays is all about.

Post Number: 5
thanks marc,what is your opinion on a good plasma 42"i'm reading alot of mixed feedback on lcd's and plasma still haven't found the right answer.

Post Number: 6
thanks marc.in your opinion what is a good 42"plasma that will last more than 3 years.from what i been reading if i go with a plasma no video games or still pics on the screen may cause burn-in to the screen.i'm getting alot of mixed info on plasma&lcd still a little confuse.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
well actually the quality of LCDs and Plasmas is converging overtime. They are both pretty darn good!

LCD flat screens are expensive at the 42 inch size relative to plasma pricing. They also suffer more from motion artifacts due to differing refresh rates. ( plasmas technically "refresh" faster than an LCD).

You can view pics on a plasma but I wouldnt leave them there for more than a few minutes and not overnight. That being said, I have left my plasma on accidentally overnight with no burn in at all. I wouldnt play video games on my plasma though.

There are really two levels of plasma brands. Sort of like upper end and lower end. The differentiation is based on qualities of the glass ( which contain the pixel structure embedded) and electronics ( processing etc). Both are important- the other part of a plasma is the power supply. I don't know anything about differences in qualities of power supplies.

The upper level plasmas are those by Panasonic, Pioneer, and Fujitsu. Consumer reports two reviews ago placed the Sony at the top. I also happen to like Hitachi myself.

Lower level brands include Maxent, Vizio, Benq, LG and a variety of others.( Gateway goes here). Other resellers such as Dell and HP use glass from major manufacturers but use differeing electronics. The HP for example, has many features others dont. Phillips has really not made decent plasmas and I have never really evaluated Toshibas up close.

Hope that covers what are merely my opinions.

Post Number: 7
i have been reading some good reveiws on the samsung 42" plasma i do like the panasonic & pioneer but how does the samsung fit in that category?

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
When you focus on a set model number I would respectfully suggest you visit avsforum.com, plug in your model in a search and see what you get, or post a question about it for opinions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us