Panasonic TH42PX50U - clicking sound from back of tv

Podo
Unregistered guest
I bought the Panasonic TH42PX50U plasma about 3 weeks ago. I recently noticed a clicking or creaking type sound coming from the back of the tv about every 5 minutes when the tv is on. I hadn't heard this sound up to this point. Has anyone ever had this problem? Is this "normal?" I've seen a lot of posts on buzzing, but this is a different sound. I'm thinking of returning it and getting something else while I have the chance. Heard bad things about Panasonic customer service so don't want to go that route.

Bronze Member
Username: Cuylar

MN USA

Post Number: 84
is it a fan making the noise? Try to narrow down where it is coming from.

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 99
The 42 inch pannys dont all have fans, and yours may not have a fan as well. I dont have a reasonable guess based on the information thusfar-- anything to add?

Podo
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the replies. I can hear the fan, but only when I'm standing right at the back of the t.v. I don't hear the fan when viewing. A week ago I actually returned the set to Best Buy and exchanged for a new one (same model). This same clicking sound has manifested itself in this set too. The only difference is instead of coming from the top left rear of the tv, it now comes from the top right rear of the tv. The "click" sound occurs every couple minutes. I am going to call Panasonic tomorrow. Fully expect to have them tell me it's "normal." Next step is shell out the extra bucks for an LG plasma or maybe a Sony LCD. I'll reply with Panasonic's reponse once I talk to them, in case anyone else runs into this same problem.

Podo
Unregistered guest
I've continued to monitor the sound coming from the back of the tv. It can probably best be described as the sound your tongue makes if you click it on the roof of your mouth. For the first hour that the tv is on, the popping sound occurs every 3 minutes, and then seems to be less frequent. Called Panasonic today and they of course were not familiar with this popping sound. They suggested that perhaps the tv was just breaking in. For $3200 I don't expect to put up with an annoying popping sound. Thinking it's time to go for an LG or Sony. If anyone has had this situtation would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Username: Garys520

Post Number: 1
I too have the TH42PX50U plasma and it also makes clicking sounds. It starts about 5-10 minutes after it is turned on. It does stop after about an hour. I did return my first set back to BestBuy when it clicked every 5 minutes non stop. At least this one stops after warming up.

Unregistered guest
I bought this same model TV in early December and have just noticed the "clicking" or "popping" sound in the past two days, which like you've described is audible every 4 minutes or so. The sound I'm hearing is clearly coming from the left top corner and sounds almost like the monitor is just being turned on. I'll try getting in touch with the salesperson who I bought the TV from at Audio Video Unlimited and see what my options are. Keep me posted with your status.

Sherman T. Potter
Unregistered guest
My Panasonic 50" Plasma does the same clicking sound, back right of set. Starts after set warms up and every few minutes it clicks. Goes away after about an hour. One note, it also clicks for about an hour after I turn the set off. Could this be something heating up and then cooling off and clicking?

Daniel in Georgia
Unregistered guest
I bought the 37" model (TH-37PX50U) last December and it started making the clicking sounds after about a week. I had it exchanged for a new one and it also started making the clicking sounds after about a week. I would be very interested in any additional information that is found on this topic and I will share anything new that I find out.

Bronze Member
Username: Highgear

CT. #1

Post Number: 13
I purchased my TH-42PX5OU plasma last month. I can hear a little....very little buzz but that is all. I did notice two dead pixels in the center of the screen. They are stuck on red. From what I red. Panasonic will only fix it if there are .002% of them out. That means like 15 on my set. I only noticed it the other night when the screen was white and I could see them. I really don't notice it while watching, but it does bother me that the screen is not perfect. I'm still VERY happy with the quality of the picture. One of the best buys for the money.

BG in ME
Unregistered guest
I have the exact same problem with the clicking sound. The salesperson suggested that I replace my cable box, which I did, but the clicking sound returned. Based on this string of postings, it is obvious that there is a problem with the design of this set. This is not acceptable in light of the price paid for this TV. I now plan to insist that it be exchanged for another model. Thanks Podo and others for bringing this problem to light.

Unregistered guest
I purchased an 42 in Plasma Pan EDTV in dec 05, and could'nt be any happier with the pictures, however I got the same clicking noises, about 1-3 in the first hour. Its a little bit annoying at first, but I decided to keep the set because I may get one with more clicking noises in exchange, and for the price match w/costco that CC gave me and especially the excellent clarity of the pics, this set is excellent, despite a few noises.

tattooedpriest
Unregistered guest
Hello

I have the panasonic th-37px50u for about 4 months so far. I just noticed the popping/clicking sound. It happens exactly every 5 minutes. I called panasonic and they said to test a dvd player and see if it makes the same sound (their already blaming the cable box). I have yet to try it, but asked if this was a known problem, they didn't have any records.

please post if anyone gets answers

Username: Randywalters

El Segundo, California USA

After several months of use my TH-42PX50U has started to make a loud "snap" noise several times during the first hour or two (every 5-15 minutes or so). I think i've heard it a few times after shutting the TV off but i'm usually gone by then. I'm going to monitor this problem for a while then make the appointment for a service man to come out. It sounds like some of you have the same symptoms.

I posted about this on AVSForum and am thinking it's an electrial zap problem, but evidence is starting to point to heat expanasion and contraction.

GAT_DAT
Unregistered guest
I am having the same clicking/popping/snapping problems with my Panasonic TH-37PX50U. Every post here seems to have the same problem, but no one seems to have any answers or resolutions to the issue... If anyone has been successful in getting the problem resolved, P L E A S E post info.

pan42Plaz
Unregistered guest
I have the same behavior observed on my TH-42PX50U bought in January. It has nothing to do with the cable box, as one user was told, I heard the noise while watching a DVD movie. If anybody finds out what it is or it is normal or not, please let us know.

Username: Edunham

Post Number: 7
I've had this happen on other CRT TV's and it did appear to be a heating/cooling issue. It would even do it when the set was off all day long if the temperature changed and our air conditioning was not on. It's a fundamental characteristic of the plastic housing. Of course, there is no cure of that is what's happening on these sets. I only offer this as a similar scenario as like I said mine did this on older CRT TV's.

Kimikaze
Unregistered guest
I've been having the same problem with my new Panasonic TH-50PX50U plasma. Just had a service call from an authorized Panasonic technician and he said that it was a common problem among the rushed batch of TH-50PX50U's. I tried to understand his explanation, but all I got was that it had something to do with a transformer and compression and that it would go away in time. Normally, these plasma tv's go through a testing period, but they skipped that this time because of the backorder. It's still clicking, but not as much. I'm going to wait a couple weeks to see if it goes away.

Help_Needed
Unregistered guest
Has anyone been able to get the problem resolved? If so, please post any information that might be helpful to others...

Post Number: 5
Mine seems to have stopped making the noise (see my post from Feb 3rd). I don't think i've heard it once this weekend, where before it was doing it several times an hour. I'm hoping Kimikaze's service guy is right in that it goes away after a while - hopefully mine is gone. We'll see.

David Alexander ChCh
Unregistered guest
Ah ha, the cracking click noise! We have it a few times in the hour. I rang up the New Zealand Panasonic agent and they said it was normal. It is an expansion noise, and could even be partly the cabinet it sits on. Well it is a rather big piece of electronics.
It is a bit of a distraction...ie: the quiet bit of a thriller...or romantic scene, is that a creak from the star's wooden leg? Great picture and enjoying it still. If I hear a bang it will be a truck hitting the house.

Username: Nadeemq

Post Number: 2
Hi all ,
its just a warnming up noise of the caseing , i would not worry about it at all , Erik has hit the nail on the head ,and panasonic agents are right .
These products do produce alot of heat mainly from the power supplies and the heat is dispersed through the whole of the back panels and some caes sucked out by fans which then in turn expands the back outer casing ,and you know the rest ..
remember to keep the vents clear from dust and radiaters or you will hear more than a creak ..

Kimikaze
Unregistered guest
I have to report that the plasma is still clicking/popping, but definitely not as much as it used to. I'm not sure if it's caused by expansion/contraction of the casing due to heat. In my case, there is only a single and sometimes loud click/pop every few minutes or so. I wouldn't call it a creak. I'm gonna continue to wait and see.

Username: Awsooky

I am so glad I found you guys' posts (google is my friend)!!! Anyway, I have a 50 inch panasonic (th px 500 u-manufactured in Dec 2005) that started exhibiting the popping sound after about 3 weeks of ownership. The Panasonic support rep stated it is indeed a known issue of expansion/contraction of the casing due to the plasma element heating up. He gave me the number of the closest technician (since it's still in the 1 year warranty timeframe). My question is, do you think this issue will go away in time-or, since the rather expensive set is still under warranty, should I go ahead with the service call. My wife suggests to leave well enough alone, but the clicking noise is starting to grate on my nerves...Oh, as a sidenote, heree are the things I have tried in "troubleshooting"- I hear the popping noise (even when muting the tv's speakers) after about 10 minutes (maybe less) into a program. I have unplugged the Cable card, coaxial cable and digital audio cable from the set, sat there for five minutes with the power off-and STILL heard the "pop"! I am not angry, but maybe a little disappointed since this was my first foray into plasma sets..I don't think we should have to worry about these minor issues when paying $4000 +....thanks for reading my mini-rant..again , I am glad this forum exists...

Username: Kimikaze

Well, it's been over a month and it's still popping/clicking, but much less frequently than it used to. Now, it's popping every 5 minutes or so. I don't know how much longer it would take to go away, since I watch at least 4 hrs a day. I'm thinking about calling it in for another service call. After the tech loosened a screw, it got better, so maybe more can be done.

Billy, I think you should go ahead and call it in, since it's under warranty, so the only thing you have to lose is time. Also, it would let Panasonic know that the problem exists in many of their units and they'll hopefully do something to remedy it, at least for the future.

Username: Kld

We have the TH-42PX50U model and have also had the popping/clicking noise. Our set was manufactured in Oct 2005 and was on back order. The technician just left and said the problem is associated with the power supply. I wasn't willing to give my TV up for the 3 weeks he said it would take to diagnose the problem, plus I wanted to do some research and luckily I found this post. Two different Panasonic technicians said they haven't heard about this problem, but from these posts it sounds like they should know. Doesn't sound like anyone is getting the 'power supply' response. We've been using our TV for 6 months now, so if the problem is supposed to go away, it must take a while. Any new solutions out there?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
My loud snapping noise has pretty much gone away on it's own.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=633425&page=1&pp=30&highlight=LO UD+SNAP

Username: Sdhab

I have the same TV but I ONLY get the clicking sound when the TV is off. I get the click about 2 times a day (that I hear anyway).

Username: Danmcgov

fyi...I'm getting the exact same noise from a newly purchased LG 42" LCD TV

Username: Noliver

San Diego, California United States

I had experienced the same clicking/popping sound coming from the integrated speakers of my 42"PioneerHD. I turned off the plasma and then turned it on again. Still the same sound. Called Tweeter thinking that the speakers are going bad. They said that the speakers on a plasma hardly go bad. Upon reading the initial post of this thread, Podo had returned his plasma for another and still heard the same sound. Obviously, its not the plasma. I shutdown the Cox Explorer 3250HD and let it reboot. In that event, I turned on my plasma and never heard it again. I left the plasma on for several hours and still no clicking sound. Its been two weeks and still not one clicking sound from the speakers. So all of you experiencing this. Eliminate the possibility that it may be your $3000 purchase and first try rebooting or better yet replace your HD cable box because from what I heard the cable company can give you a crappy SUX model. Then try the DVD player. If the noise continues then return your plasma.

Hope this helps

Username: Jfong01

Lawndale, CA USA

Hello,
I have the Pioneer PDP-4350 for a little over 1 1/2 years and I just heard the clicking noise tonight for the first time. First thing was to check the speaker wires and connections to the receiver. All is well and I even made sure of the power/juice is clean. No issues there. Noel had the perfect solution to reboot the cable box or video source and low-and-behold I don't hear that 'clicking' noise anymore. Try it out and I hope that it works for you. Good luck. Thanks Noel.

Username: Shaunger

Hi,

Noel, the clicking sound isn't coming from the speakers at all...it's originating from the plasma cabinet itself....top left corner for me.

Shaun.

Username: Socrates50

I have the Panny TH42PD60U; the problem I've been having is the set making the on/off clicking noise every 5 minutes when it's turned off. Only response I get from Panasonic is that I probably should call a service tech. No sound when it's actually on, unless I can't hear it because of the sound coming from the programming. Any thoughts/insights? Thanks, Phil

My clicking (like the sound when turning the TV on and off)still continues and I'm coming up to the end of my 1 year warranty. Has anyone purchased a warranty for their TV? If so, what's your experience? Are there cheaper warranties to buy other than directly from Panasonic? I'm not impressed with Panasonic's service support. Thanks.

Username: Ilicito

HAD SAME PROBLEM WITH MY SET THE TECH CALLED PANASONIC AND WAS TOLD TO ADD SOME WASHERS TO THE SCREWS ON THE SET, THE CLICK / TICK NOISE WAS COMING FROME THE PLASTIC OF THE CASE ON THE TOP CORNERS OF THE SET ..THIS WAS A KNOWN PROBLEM ON THIS MODEL.. IF YOU HAVE WARRANTY CALL IT IN AND YOU WILL HAVE IT FIXED IN NO TIME ..MINE IS NO LONGER CLICKING ... CHEERS!

Username: Termides

Charlotte, NC United States

Post Number: 3
I have this problem with a Samsung LCD. The popping sound comes from different areas all over the front. It is very irritatating. Samsung will pay to have a tech come out, however I think it may be the Explorer 3250HD cable box. I get no popping noise when I bypass the cable box or playing a video game. I am going to start by rebooting and then maybe replacing the box. Warranty runs out 12/01/06

Username: Nellbarr

I bought the panasonic th-42px50u 5/05 it just now started buzzing LOUDLY. I called panasonic and the rep was not aware of the problem...maybe they should "google" or everyone should send in a registered letter...I called the service company they suggested. I will post what the problem is and what it cost to fix.

Username: Candiriag720

I just bought a 40" Sony Bravia and have been experiencing this same problem. I even got the TV replaced and the 2nd TV also creates a snapping/popping sound. The sony tech told me that is may be the magnets from my surround sound system causing this so I moved the speakers further away... still the same thing. It does it even if the surround sound system is off, so it's obviously the TV. It seems like most flat panel TV's that don't have an internal fan have this issue.

Greg, its the HD signal. Try rebooting or replacing your cable box? Standard issue HD cable boxes can be really crappy at times.

Username: Candiriag720

Thanks Noel.. I have tried everything. I even got a new TV, and a Surround sound sytem. I guess it was the cable box all along. I'm going to get a new HD from Comcast tonight. Is there any specific box I should get so I don't have this problem again?

I really dont know what the difference is with HD boxes but I am fortunate to have a brother that works for Cox Communications. He had explained to me that they will issue a crappy HD box unless otherwise requested and he was kind enough to exchanged the box for a better model; the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD. Until the cable companies make improvements to there HD technology I can almost gaurentee you'll hear that sound again but at least you'll know what to do now. Please pass this on to others who enjoy the HD experience.

We're still having our clicking problem and we have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200HD, which sounds like a higher version than the 3250HD. Rebooting hasn't helped, so I'll call Cablevision and find out if there's a better box. If the problem is, in fact, the cable box, I feel better. However, is there any negative impact to the TV (other than the annoyance) if a new cable box can't stop the clicking? For instance, does it wear any internal parts? If it's the cable box making the noise, what causes the clicking...the box sending signals?

Username: Gmagic911x

Interesting to read about misc. tv's with clicking sounds. Clicking (static?) sounds from speakers in our Samsung SlimFit brought me here. With my situation, I turned the HD cable box off and with no signal, clicks still come out of the speakers, so I don't think the box is the problem (?).

Post Number: 4
Cable guy came to check out the clicking problem. It was fixed by disconnecting the power chord from the cable box for 10 seconds. Cause.......who knows, he said it could be anything from static electricity or installation of electronic dog fence next door. At least I'll know what to do if it happens again.

Username: God_11

I have a Samsung LCD 26in tv. I got it FEB 1,2007. All of a sudden on March 1,2007 i started to notice the click and poping sound also. How do i get rid of it. I have ps3 connected hdmi and comcast hd box connected hdmi. I never had a problem till now and even when my comcast box is off and i'm playing ps3 the clicking sound comes from my tv and ps3. And when i just watch tv the clicking sound just clicks from my tv. It really doesn't make the sound when the tv's off. Help me!

Post Number: 5
Try disconnecting the power cable at the back of the hd box, wait 10 seconds and reconnect it.

Should i unplug the cable box first from my serge protector? Also before i do that,I did notice the click sound when the cable box was off. So how could the cable box be the problem? Also the click sound seems to come from the tv not the cable box. I've had this DVR HD Cable Box for 2 or 3 weeks and had no problem, why all of a sudden would this click sound start occuring from my tv? Thanks!

Post Number: 6
No, don't unplug the cable box from the surge protector when you disconnect the power cable from the box. I also could still hear the interference (clicking) with the cable box turned off, so apparently, as long as the power cable is connected to the box there is a circuit there which carries the interference through the TV speakers. According to the cable guy, this build up of static electricity can occur over a period of time depending on the conditions. At the moment our sound is "clicking" free and if it happens again I'll know what to do about it.

So ur saying don't touch the Hdmi or dvi plugs or the cable line. And don't unplug the cord from the surger protector, but just disconnect it from the cable box?

Post Number: 7
Yes sir

Post Number: 4
No Luck! My clicking sound comes from the back of the tv not through the speckers. So what should i do call Samsung or Comcast? Thanks!

Post Number: 8
Sorry to hear that, I was sure that your problem was the same as what I had. If the sound is not coming from the speakers, but it truly} is coming from the TV, I'd advise you to contact Samsung.

Post Number: 8
I finally got a tech to comeout. He looked at it and didn't see anything wrong with it. So he didn't tighten the screws all the way and said try that out. And if u still hear the clicking sound give us a call. So as of right now i can hear a few clicks,but not as loud and as many. So hopefully this will work. I guess it's from heat/cold condensing that's my only solution since when i got it in Feb and it was cold out and now it is getting warmer, also my tv has a window behind it. Well i just wanted people to know what happened.

Username: Cyberbo60

I have a Panasonic TH-42PX75UP and it makes the clicking sound also. i can live with it as long as it won't ruin the television.. Anyone found a cause for the sound yet?

Username: Albert44

Florida

I bought a Panasonic 42" plasma set five months ago and love it. Tonight I heard intermittent popping sounds after using the cable menu to scroll rapidly through the list of stations. I didn't think it was mechanical because the mute button silenced the sounds. I found this forum (thanks, Google), and tried this suggestion: Disconnect the power to the cable box, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in and let it reset. That seems to have cured the problem. I can't explain why it worked, but I'm grateful!

Username: Ajuba

Its Interesting to hear bout the cable box situation. I have a Panasonic TH-50PX60U. I first noticed the clickings sound( Sounds like when u turn the TV on/off) 3 weeks into the purchase. Unfortunately i had to travel that week and couldnt return the tv withing 30 days. Was very dissapointed, especially as i went into Circuit city and stood by the display for several minutes and didnt hear one clicking sound.
So I called the Service guy, By the time the service person came in the sound had been reduced from every 2-5 minutes to 3 or 4 times in an hour. The tech said the its due to the expansion and contraction of the plastic Panel, especially the threading of the screws that keep popping in and out. Service guys said it would eventually get better. Recently it has gotten worse... I am not sure its because its summer time and he temprature is up and it doesnt take that long for the panels to expand and caus ethe sound. I will try to cable unplugging and see if that helps. But I wonder if we can all send Panasonic a petition and threaten them to go to the Better Business Bureau if they dont fix our problem or replace us with a Set that doesnt cause that issuue. Any thoughts??

Username: Tim1

I recently (07/07) purchased the TH-50-PX75U and I too have the Clicking sound. It has no relation to the Cable Box that I can tell. It is the TV, upper left side in the back, to me it sounds like contact closing on a relay it does get to be less as the tv warms but it has a very definitive electrical "contact" sound it is very different noise from case contraction or expansion, I used to have a Sony that I would have look at the case convinced it had broke. This is a different type of "click". I would interested if anyone does come up with a resolution as this seems to be more common and not even model dependant.

Username: Cj420

I have the 50PX75U as well and have the clicking problem. I contacted Panasonic conceriege service via phone first and they said it is a normal break in process and it "should" go away in no more than 30 days. I asked if he could explain what exactly is making the noise - but he was unable to tell me anything.

I then went to the live chat and was told it was normal and should go away in a week or so - but again no explanation. I ordered a service call - we will see what comes of that.

I still have the clicking sound but got used to it. It doesn't bother the picture so I let it click..

Username: Cobom1628

Cocoa, Fl USA

I just bought the Panasonic TH-50-PX75U, hearing the loud click about every 5 minutes. At first I had visions of the Circuit City guy "The extended warranty is only $445 - you'd be sissly not getting it". Come on - if I pay $2k for a TV - I should not have to pay a quarter of that to not have to worry if it will work or not - crap! Just charge me more for the set and garrantee it works! - Anyway, clicking from top left by the 'hot' power supply - I can see how the plastic expanding around a tight screw would make this noise - and how it might go away by itself. Plus the amount of posts pointing to this as an issue makes me comfortable enough to loosen a screw up in the corner - we'll see how that goes.

Username: Brucey

I also have just bought a th42px7a and I am getting the clicks from behind the top corner, I have filtered the power for the screen as advised and filtered the power for the foxtel box but this has made no difference, any help what so ever would be aprreciated, looks like we have bought a "wrong un"

Username: Cj420

I had the tech come out and install the "felt kit" and I am happy to report that it seems to have resolved the clicking problem.

Username: Andrewkl

Well, I am fortunate in that I don't have the clicking noise in my Panasonic TH-42PD50U. I am however UNFORTUNATE in that I have a white line running vertically down the left side of the screen under any input conditions. Line is about 3/4" wide, and is about 8" from the left side of the screen. Anyone have any ideas? Clues? Fixes?

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 44
Andrew,
The problem is most likely your top left buffer board. The board would look like this:

http://parts.discount-merchant.com/modim/photos.php?itemid=1002326

If that doesn't seem to fix the problem, then it means the PDP Panel is bad... But if the line is white as you describe, it's most likely the buffer board described above.

I just found out the discount-merchant.com has a "parts database" link on the left hand side of their website now... You can search for damn near any part and view the pictures! It's a HUGE help, and I've never seen this anywhere else! Prices are very reasonable as well...

Have a look guys!

Bronze Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 45
Guys,
I've heard the poping noises from the panasonic TV sets. From my understanding it's the discharge of the capacitors on the Y-Sustain board.. It seems to be normal on about 60% of the panasonic plasma sets.. I guess they just used a batch of LOUD capacitors or something. I've heard this noise from the right side as well which would be the X-Sustain board if i'm not mistaking.

Weird and I can see how it could bug the heck out of the consumer.

Username: Albert44

Florida

I once had the clicking problem. Before you spend good money on parts, etc., try the suggestion I posted earlier: Disconnect the power to the cable box, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in and let it reset. It worked for me, but don't ask why. (I didn't have the white line problem.) I hope it works for you.

Username: Ajuba

what is a felt kit?

Username: Tctimmeh

I just got the th-50px75 and, exactly one day old, it has the clicking noise. It's just as others have described: two loud, quick clicks, like a relay closing, coming from the top left of the case every 5-10 minutes. I would love to have some info (ammunition) about the source of the noise before calling panasonic so that I can tell if/when they're trying to feed me any BS.

Also, I second the 'what is a felt kit' question.

Username: Ibobulus

I just connected my new th50px77u. Same problem as everyone else. Clicks every few minutes. Very annoying, especially considering cost. Curious about the "felt" solution, too. I still have SD cable box connected, doubt that is causing the problem. Does the felt kit really work? Amazing that this thread is closing in on 2 years old now, and only represents a fraction of dissatisfied customers, yet Panasonic appears to have done NOTHING to remedy the issue in the manufacturing process. Not sure if I should wait and hope this goes away before I lose my return window. Any thoughts?

Username: Suncitymann

Hi ,
I've got the clicking noises also, but mine seems to happen when the hd channel changes to a standard defintion commercial. It seems to click right during the transition.I have a TH-58PX600U thats 3 weeks old. Any thoughts?? Ideas??

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1410
I don't know if this is related to the clicking sound or not?
But can yo please tell me if yo got your TV shipped or picked up from a local electronics store?

I'm trying to make a theory that most TVs got strange performace problems are directly related to large TVs being shipped via UPS or FEDEX.

This is something very little talked about my theory is when you move your TV within your same house you are extra extra careful not to drop causing any damege internal or external. Sensitive electronics require special care to move.

HOW CAN YOU TRUST LOGISTIC COURIERS LIKE FEDEX AND UPS?
Your input can help other people.

Username: Ibobulus

To follow up on my last post and respond to the last couple of queries.

Panasonic fixed my plasma! I called them the day after filing my last post and a customer service rep immediately arranged to have an authorized repair shop pick the unit up. There was a day or two delay as there seems to have been a miscommunication within the Panasonic customer service group, and I had to call again and got another rep. This rep tried to say the clicking sound was normal. I stuck to my guns and insisted that it was too frequent and long lasting to be anything close to "normal". He relented and arranged again for a local pick up. In the mean time, I learned form the local shop, Panasonic overnighted a kit specifically designed to eliminate the "clicking" sound -- apparently they are well enough aware of the issue to indeed manufacture this kit, as others on this forum have indicated. I was never sure if it was a felt kit or some other material used to insulate the screen from other components and the case. But the repair tech told me that the noise IS related to uneven expansion of the screen and case, and the movement of associated parts, from heat build up. Just in case this wasn't the problem, though, Panasonic apparently also overnighted many other parts so the shop could make the repair without delay.
Within a day, the shop picked up my set and transported it lying face up in, of all things, a Toyota 4-runner. I mentioned that the shipping carton on the unit had said to only transport it in the upright position, but they said they transport units this way all the time without incident. I guess they were right. They made the repair and had it back to me by noon the next day.
I've been listening very intently for a couple of weeks and it works absolutely perfectly without even a hint of the clicking sound. Although I had to stick to my guns and insist that there was indeed a problem with the set to the second rep, Panasonic did a terrific job of taking care of this problem. I expected a long, drawn out nightmare and instead had the whole thing resolved promptly.

To respond to the last post, this set was purchased directly from Panasonic online and was shipped via UPS, I believe.

Username: Spaeth

I just last week purcchased a Panasonic TH-42PZ700U plasma and I am experiencing a dreadful clicking noise coming from the back of the TV. I'm not sure it's a related issue to what is described in the thread above as it starts as soon as the TV is powered up and persists for as long as the TV is powered on. This issue has been there since the very first power up yesterday and every subsequent time I've turned the set on. This is not an annoying little background noise...rather a LOUD clicking noise. The best way I can describe it is the noise of sticking a card in the spoke of a bicycle and taking off.

I've tried several different connections, as well as the unplugging of my cable box to "reset" it as suggested above.

My problem source seems to be from one of the 4 cooling fans on the back. It sounds as if a bearing or something is broken in one of the fans.

Did anyone else experience this issue where the clicking is non-stop? I have a technician coming out to take a look in a couple of days, but I want to see if there are any other fixes available.

My clicking has since stopped.. I have no more noises coming from my TV. I didn't do anything to it. All of yours should stop as well..

Username: Dean_d

I purchased a Panasonic TH42PX75U back in early April. After a few weeks, I began to hear a random clicking sound coming from the back of the set, mostly in the upper left area. While the clicking did not seem to affect the picture, it was very annoying.

I decided to wait it out and see if the sound would go away and it didn't. I also tried unplugging the cable box, which had no effect on the annoying sound. Shortly after purchasing the TV, I went to PlasmaConcierge.com and registered my set.

Last Friday I finally decided to contact Panasonic Plasma Concierge to make a claim and see if something could be done about it. I explained the problem to them. They did not contest it nor did they admit knowledge of any such issues. They seemed very attentive to my concerns and told me that a local dealer would contact me to schedule a call.

Within two hours, Warner Electronics, who is the sole service company of Panasonic Plasma Concierge in Cleveland, contacted me about a service call. This past Monday they came and picked up my set and left me a loaner for use in the meantime, which was last year's model of the same set. The guy from Warner was not familiar with the issue I was having but said he would look into it. I mentioned that there was some info online about it. My TV was returned yesterday (Friday) and I asked the serviceman if they found a problem with it. He said that they had to order and install a "pad" kit. Apparently, because of heat expansion, the aluminum case and the cover of the TV will rub together to make the noise and the "pad" kit, from Panasonic, is used to alleviate it. By the way, the part number on the invoice for the kit is TMK2AA01098. Also, Panasonic covered all of this under the 1-year warranty. I did not purchase an extended warranty from Circuit City when I bought the set, but I am seriously considering looking into one with Warner Electronics because of the great service they provided.

Since I have only had the TV back since yesterday, I can't tell right now if the sound has gone away for the long run. I will report back with any subsequent issues. However, I want to say how pleased, and somewhat surprised, I am with the level of service that was given to me by both Panasonic Concierge and Warner Electronics.

Lastly, thanks to all on this discussion group for your valuable input.

Username: Spaeth

Just to give a quick update on my situation. I had a service technician come out and opened up the back of my TV. The problem was a small wire clip connection that was simply bent a little too far in the direction of one of the cooling fans. The cooling fan was barely hitting this plastic clip creating the clicking noise. The technician bent the clip back slightly and my problem was solved!

Username: Jcparki

i have a Panasonic Plasma TH-50PX600A and a LCD Panasonic TX-32LXD700A.

Upon shut down of both, there is the usual clicking sounds. But this is where it gets REALLY STRANGE.....at about 5am in the morning.....the LCD will make a loud click, followed EVERY TIME about 5 seconds later by the Plasma downstairs. It is that loud I can hear it about 15 meters away.

This happens most nights (yes I am a light sleeper).

As far as I can tell in this tread, no one has really explained why it happens?

Username: Patsfan69

I have Panasonic th50px77u plasma. I noticed an electronic noise coming from the back on the set. I noticed it was coming from the upper left hand side (as you look at it from in front of it). The noise was not constant thou and kind of sounded like crickets thou not as high pitched.
I found this thread and tried a couple things one being unplugging the HD receiver which didn't work. I called Panasonic and then called a local service company. They came out and opened it up and we heard the noise and isolated it to the "SS" board. They tried spraying it with some liquid plastic to resolve it. No luck they ordered the part which took about 10 days and installed it today. All seems fine now so far.
What they replaced was an "xboard" as they called it. The old part was TNpa4187 ss board. The new part was PN txnss1hmtujs SS board and it looks like a small mother board
I also want to say that I love the picture on this set. Blacks are so deep and contrast is awesome. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I hope I don't have any further issue thou. I didn't buy an extended warranty. I asked the repair techs if I could buy one from their company and they told me no and you have to do so within 30 days of purchase. Can anyone confirm this is true?? Thanks for the info here and I hope mine is helpful to others.
Thanks, Jim

Username: Martra

Purchased Panasonic TH50PX75U IN Nov 07. It just started with the buzzing and clicking sounds. Driving me crazy. Found this forum and also googled other sites. I think I found a cure.
Set basic picture mode to Standard (had been on vivid)
Set "picture" setting to +20 (had been on +30)
Just these setting changes seem to decrease the buzz and clicks.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us