Archive through May 20, 2005

Username: Melburstein

Santa Ana, CA

Post Number: 1
I live in California (Orange County) and subscribe to Comcast's lowest level of service, because we are really only interested in the basic chanels and only have cable because our homeowners association would not permit an antennia. In the past, we have used cable without any box.

Now, we have purchased a HDTV with ATSC Tuner. I asked Comcast about getting either a Cable Box or a Cable Card. Getting the Cable Box will only add ten bucks per month to my bill ($5.05 for the service and $5.00 for rental of the Cable Box). But when I asked about a Cable Card, I became confused by their answer. It seems like they were talking about a cost considerably higher than $10 per month. Why would the Cable Card option cost more than a Cable Box? Can someone please tell me?

Username: Drchip0

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 2
I am in a similar situation. I live in Atlanta but Comcast is my cable provider. I just bought a new Mitsubishi HDTV and want to use CableCARD in part because I read it will yield a better picture than a box does.

I have called Comcast and talked to several people who all indicated that you must have a cable box to get their HD channels. I told them that it was my understanding there was and FCC mandate to offere high def using CableCARD effective last July. Finally spoke to a woman who said it was possible and would cost me an additional $10 a month to upgrade my basic service to digital with high def using a CableCARD. They are supposed to hook it up a week from tomorrow. We will see what happens. I am not convinced it will happen. Meanwhile I am using an indoor antenna--Terk TV 5 to pull high def signal out of the air. It does a great job on the 3 or 4 it is able to lock in.

Rumbler
Unregistered guest
Mel,

I know this is off topic but just a little FYI.

The FCC pasted a law in 1999 that allowed homeowners in associations to install a dish or ANTENNA on the outside of their property. I had the same issue with my association. Once I brought them a copy of the law, they voted that I could install a dish as long as I met the FCC guidelines.

Here is a link that explains it better...
http://www.condolawyers.com/articles/newfcc.htm

Santa Ana, CA

Rumbler, thanks for the info. Our Association, in accordance with the FCC guidelines, does permit the installation of dish antenna's, but we choose to use cable. Today, Comcast, our cable company did install a Cable Card in our plasma TV and it works just fine. We did not need to also get a cable box. They did caution me that the Cable Card only allows one way communication so it will not let us use pay-for-view. For that we would need the cable box.

Mel

Anonymous

Just to add to the question about the cable card.
I went to my local comcast cable office and told them It was stupid to charge for a cable card. It works like a sim card in a cell phone. All it does is direct service to the built-in digital box in your t.v. I waited for them to call their customer service line and their customer service rep agreed that it should be free. I do not pay anything for the use of the comcast card that is currently installed in my television. The picture looks better than when I had the comcast hd box (especially with the channels 2-96, that they say are digital but are really analog).

Santa Ana, CA

Post Number: 3
I will not know for sure until I receive my next Comcast bill, but I believe the Anonymous post above to be correct. I was told that there is no rental the CableCard (there is one for the cable box). The only additional charge I will be paying is an approximate $5 service for the HD channels.

Unregistered guest
Glad to find this forum, I recently purchased the Mitsubishi 52" HDTV. The HD cablevision box was free upgrade, however the picture quality on non HD channels was worse than a non HD box. I just ordered the cable card for the TV and will see what happens. The only negative is no pay per view at this time.

rahelja
Unregistered guest
I have just ordered a cable box from Comcast.I have a plasma tv and have been told that the channels I get using the cable box will be significantly clearer than if I viewed them without the box.I am being charged a fee of 5.99 per month for this box and nothing for the service.Please comment on whether I should get the box or not..Thanks!

Santa Ana, CA

Post Number: 4
Here's the deal. If your TV has integrated HDTV, then you can do as I did and get the CableCard from Comcast. The card slips into a slot on the back of the TV and it is free. But Comcast in my area charged $27.99 for installation (one-time) and $5.05 for service (monthly).

The CableCard provides one way communication, so I can not use Pay-for-View. For that I would need to rent the cable box which leases for about $5 per month, in addition to the $5.05 for monthly service.

If your TV is "HDTV Ready", meaning it does not accept a CableCard, you will need the cable box inorder to enjoy HDTV reception.

I am certainly not an expert in this area. But this is my understanding.

rahelja
Unregistered guest
Thanks A lot Mel-I appreciate the feedback!I hope it all goes well for me because I really dont know much abt TV's, cable boxes,cable cards etc!
I guess thats the stuff only men know a lot about!

MrK
Unregistered guest
I live in the Chicago suburbs and just got my cable card installed last week. It was a one time fee of $23.95. That's it. No monthly fees at all. I get about 10 HD channels.

barbpif
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Plasma TV with a HDTV tuner, called Comcast and was told that there would be a onetime charge of 27.95 and no monthly charge for the cable card. I live in Central California. I understand that the down side is that you no longer have the guide, and can't get "Pay per view" unless you telephone Comcast. I also understand that if you have a "picture in picture"
option that it will work with the cable card but not with the box unless you have a "splitter", I was also told that I did not need a HD box. My TV
isn't installed yet, so haven't tested anything.
If anyone else has a cable card, I would appreciate knowing any negatives other than those I mentioned.

Username: Craigclc

I have a question on a Comcast Cable Card and how you get the Comcast Guide to show up on the screen. I am using the TV (Panasonic 42" Plasma) remote and an not sure how the Guide comes up without a Comcast HD box and their remote. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Skypilot
Unregistered guest
I just got off the phone with Comcast and they will install a cable card (free) in my new HDTV but the service charge is a one time $15.00. I had to upgrade from standard cable to Digital Classic for an additional $5.95 per month. With the card I will not get "Pay Per View" or the On Screem Program Guide. So the bottom line is HDTV with no box just the card will cost me $5.95 more per month but I do pick up 25 or so additional channels. In my area (Ma.)the cable box is 7.25 per month but you would have the "Pay Per View" option and the on screen guide.

Hblaze
Unregistered guest
In the Seattle area, Comcast charges $4.95 for the HD set-top box and another $4.95 to upgrade to the dvr+hdsettop box combo. There is a one-time installation charge of $15.00. As far as the cablecard goes, there is NO charge for it other than the installation charge of $15.00. But the cablecard has disadvantages over the settop box: it does not display program menues (a big pain for me), can't order ppv directly from remote, and no access to the free music stations.

Jacksonville, Fl
Unregistered guest
I have HDTV with a card slot and just ordered from Comcast (not yet installed). According to the account person the upside of the card (free) is a better picture than with the HD cable box (rental). The downside is no On-Screen-Guide, no On-Demand programming and no pay-per-view. She didn't mention no music channels as Hblaze stated. I figure to get the best of both worlds is to get a digital cable box (not HD) on a second tv. You won't have HD but you do get all your functions. Better yet, if your vcr is connected to your HDTV for picture-in-picture (pip) you can disconnect the cable box from the second tv, connect it to the vcr and use pip to get all the functionality. That's my plan once I get the service. Kind of cumbersome but that's what happens when you have state-of-the-art equipment.

Santa Ana, CA

Post Number: 5
You are correct. With the CableCARD(r) there is no On-Screen-Guide, no On-Demand programming and no pay-per-view. But in my area (Orange County, California) I do receive music channels.

Mel

Northern VA
Unregistered guest
Hmm, I have a new HDTV with CableCARD slot. I was thinking about using Voom for most programming and just subscribing to Comcast with the CableCARD for the locals which are mostly available in HD.

Question: Can you subscribe to just Comcast HDTV with regular limited basic cable (not digital cable)? What about just HDTV, no limited basic cable?

johnny brisk
Unregistered guest
has anyone purchased there own hdtv cable box that works with comcast?

johnny brisk
Unregistered guest
has anyone purchased there own hdtv cable box that works with comcast?

Ken Harkins
Unregistered guest
According to a C-SPAN telecast from this summer, one only has to subscribe to the minimum tier of analog cable in order to use CableCard for HDTV only. A subscription to digital cable is not necessary.

Anonymous

I had a non-HD box from RCN (eastern PA), and switched to the CableCard this weekend. The drawbacks are as mentioned (no menu, PPV) but the stock signal that comes across will still tell you what show is on currently on most channels. I get about 8 HD and another 8 or 9 720i channels, although the installer said I shouldn't get ANY HD (his exact words were "I won't tell them if you don't"...but I think he is just unfamiliar with cable cards...mine was the second he had installed). My digital channels (2-180) are much clearer...many of them look like HD. THe Sony 42" LCD HDTV I have also tells me the resolution and aspect ratio on screen when I change channels...so I know the signal is HD. This is a good feature.

I went CableCard over HD box because I also heard that the signal would be true digital, and at least here the HD boxes only have component outs...I've heard some places' HD converter boxes have DVI and even HDMI outs. So far I am pleased...I think I actually save money with the card too, because there is a converter box rental, and no rental with the card.

Don Smith
Unregistered guest
I am getting a Dell plasma HDTV. The TV is HD ready and can not have a cable card. I have Comcast analog cable at present. I don't need any more channels than I already have. I was thinking of just getting a HD box without upgrading to digital cable for the HD channels in the existing lineup. The woman from Comcast told me that I had to get digital cable before I got the HD box. Is that true and does the HD box really make the picutre that much better?

FedUpWithCable
Unregistered guest
The cable companies have only one goal. To make money. Have you seen your cable rates go up year after year? I am petitioning the FCC, the FTC, the state attorney general's office, and any agency willing to listen. Why can't the consumer be given the option to buy their own converter box? Why must I pay a monthly rental fee for life? Do you realize, by paying a $4 monthly rental fee over a 10 year period, it comes to $480? Over 20 years, that's $960. Doesn't anyone feel they are being ripped off? For a unit that you can purchase for maybe less than $100, we're forced into paying these outrageous rates. We have no choice, the cable companies have a monopoly. You can opt for satellite, if you choose, I suppose. But from what I've read, satellite is not as reliable especially during storms. Another thing I hate is their various "packages". Where I live, if I want ESPN, I must also pay to have The Cartoon Network. Nothing against the Cartoon Network, but I never ever watch it but must pay for it if I want to get ESPN.

FHeck
Unregistered guest
I also have comcast as my provider. When I requested the cable card to replace my box, I was told that I would be unable to receive HBO without the cable box.
This doesn't make sense. Anyone know about this??

FedUpWithCable
Unregistered guest
Re: FHeck

I'm guessing because they would lose revenue if they couldn't charge you for that bogus converter box rental fee. With their internet service, they give you the option to purchase or rent the cable modem, but not the converter box? It's the same principle. They seem to have a double standard.

Phone companies used to own their own equipment, that is, the telephone. Cable is basically in its infancy now, so maybe things will change eventually. I sure hope so.

I don't blame people who so call "steal" cable by subscribing to the most basic service and purchase their own converter boxes. The cable companies have been stealing from us for years. Almost every year some fee goes up. I have the basic package plus HBO (no digital) and their Internet service and my bill is currently $142 a month. I don't have ComCast, I have Cox. So maybe I'm in the wrong forum but I just had to vent my frustration. Can't the government put some controls on the cable industry and give consumers a break? They want to rule every other aspect of our lives.

Anonymous

I live in Tennessee and have Comcast for basic (analog) cable and cable modem serivce. I also have a Dish Network model 6000 HD satellite reciever with a 8VSB HD module. Does anyone know if the 6000 can recieve the HDTV signals from Comcast cable service?

Anonymous

If you have a cable card for HDTV, can you record programs to DVD player? Anyone recorded successfully?

Thanks

Anonymous

Is there any place that I can purchase my own cable card in order to have HDTV? I just purchased a 55" Sony KDF55WF655 that has a rear slot for the card. My cable company is Charter in Birmingham, Alabama. I would much rather buy my own card than pay to rent one.

Anonymous

I live in Orange County, CA and have a Sony LCD HDTV. I have Cox basic service and called them to upgrade to digital. I have a CableCard slot, but the woman on the phone said that I need to lease a box for 3 bucks and pay 11 bucks more a month for digital service and that the CableCARD is only for HDTV for which I have to pay a few more bucks a month. This completely confuses me because I thought the cablecard is to replace the need for a box. I am going to call tomorrow to see if I get a different operator with a different answer, but has anybody had this experience with Cox? Is she talking through her hat?

Santa Ana, CA

Post Number: 6
I don't know about COX. I also live in Orange County, CA. My cable company is Comcast. I had to talk to a couple of representatives before I heard the answer I wanted. I do not have a cable box. I have just basic service. The CableCard was free from Comcast, but my monthly service increased by five bucks and some change per month. I can not use PayForView. For that I would need a cable box.

Aubin
Unregistered guest
is there anyone with a comcast cablecard in the NH area? because here, comcast does not carry UPN or WB in HD - which is sad because i have shows on them i like to watch - does the CableCard allow receiving those channels, or is it still only the ones comcast carries for their boxes?

Username: Bossman

I live in a Chicago suburb. I just bought a TV (sharp aquos 26GD4U) that has a built in HDTV tuner and slot for a cable card. I currently only have basic+ with comcast (no digital). Will I be able to get the HD channels with just a cable card from comcast, or do I have to subscribe to any additional service? Currently pay 46 a month and if possible would not like to pay anything extra besides the installation fee for the cable card.

Thanks!

Phil D.
Unregistered guest
Depending on your comcast district, some charge as much for the card as a box each month. That aside, you may receive ABC, NBC, and PBS in HD for free if your tv sports a QAM in the clear tuner using just your basic cable. Messing around one day I put in channel 1.1 and NBC in HD came in. Then I tried the channels that would normally be the over the air HD. Then PBS HD came in (the others did not). Then random numbers with .1 I found ABC HD. So far I get these 3 channels and I have only basic cable.

Two Ner
Unregistered guest
Why not get an antenna and receive ABC,NBC,CBS,WB,PBS all in HD for free over the air. You paid for a built in HD tuner so make the most out of it!

Username: Bossman

Just any kind of antenna would do or do I need to look for a specific type?

Two Ner
Unregistered guest
Go to antennaweb.org and this will tell you what type of outdoor antenna to buy specifically if you need uhf or vhf or combo as well as the digital channels available in your area. Even though some are labled hdtv antennas they are just regular antennas.
Many times an indoor antenna works just fine. I recommend radio shack Cat # 15-1880 for 50 bucks. It has vhf and uhf with adjustable gain control. Try this first and aim antenna towards direction from antennaweb website.

tvdude
Unregistered guest
Might not need to go over-the-air to get local channels in HD.
If you are a cable subscriber and you own a
digital TV with a QAM (digital cable) tuner, you can often pick up your local channels in HD by letting the TV search for all digital cable channels. Most cable companies deliver these HD local channels unscrambled (in fact, I remember reading somewhere that was the FCC's intent). You do not need a cable card or a box for that.
Of course you will need a cable card to receive any of the other digital cable channels--they are probably 100% scrambled. Or the cable box.
The cable box is needed if your TV doesn't have a digital cable tuner.

ca.dude
Unregistered guest
HEY FEDUPWITHCABLE,
The cable providers can not charge there customers every they time there being charged more for the channels they offer, you would see your bill go up 5 to 6 times a year, as for your ESPN about $2.00 of your monthly bill goes to ESPN next is HBO now that they make there own shows like sex in the city and all the others shows they make, there price to the cable providers has gone up,
plus the cost of gas to roll out a truck to each call. No one is forcing anybody to pay. and for a monopoly I don't think so as long is there are movie theaters, video rentals, signal you can pick up in the air including HD channels thats not a monopoly.

Unregistered guest
In Southeastern PA Comcast installed my CableCard into an HDTV (with internal digital tuner) three weeks ago. But they have not been able to activate my Digital Plus service. In spite of this I get INHD and INHD2 on the correct channels. I get ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBSHD but on the wrong channels, and I don't get most of the digital channels included in my service (but they come in fine on my cable box on another HDTV). Has anyone had an activated CableCard but not gotten the Comcast Digital Plus channels?

Seattle Stone-age
Unregistered guest
Believe it or not I don't have Cable yet. Does Comcast have a "Limited Basic Cable" package any more? I can't find it listed on their web site. What does it typically cost and is it worth it?
Thanks

apfel
Unregistered guest
pa.greg

It sounds like your cable card is not descrambling properly. Probably you could get INHD & INHD2 even without a cable card but with manual channel search, depending on the capability of your set. But they need to get the card working so you can see the scrambled channels you're subscribed to.

Santa Ana, CA

Post Number: 7
Hi Seattle Stong-Age,

Where I live (Orange County, California) Comcast does have what I think you are referring to when you say "Limited Basic Cable". But they sure don't advertise it. You have to keep asking and insisting on it.

Mel

brinsr
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony HDTV ready set and basic analog service. If I were to buy a digital TV box for a source other than Comcast, would I be able to receive digital broadcasts? Do digital boxes and cable cards need to be activated by the cable company?

brinsr
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony HDTV ready set and basic analog service. If I were to buy a digital TV box from a source other than Comcast, would I be able to receive digital broadcasts? Do digital boxes and cable cards need to be activated by the cable company?

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
No.
Yes.

xvxvxvx

johnnyboy420
Unregistered guest
Has anyone been able to get BOTH a cable card and a Comcast HDTV Cable box working on 2 seperate inputs? I called Comcast today, and they claimed that the Cable Card input would override any signal from the HDTV Cable Box. This makes no sense to me, as I would be using 2 different inputs on the TV. I have a KDF-50WE655. I want the HDTV cable box for the HD DVR and to have HD PIP.

Comcast freek
Unregistered guest
Hello I just purchased a philips 55inch HDTV Ready Rear projection TV And then installed The Comcast HDTV CAble box.Bu tThe only thing wrong is i can get the HDTV Channels But for The Other Regular channels there extremely Distoreded. Can Anyone help me?

FedUpWithCable
Unregistered guest
Hey ca.dude - You must work for the cable industry. You might want to check out this link about cable tv companies' greed and they are referred to as monoplies. http://www.consumersunion.org/pdf/CFA103.pdf

Fed Up With Cable

Anonymous

I am also very interested to know whether anyone is using a SONY LCD projection TV with CableCard AND Set Top box AT THE SAME TIME.
I want the better quality of the internal ATSC decoder via CableCard, as well as the interactivity provided by the Set Top box...
Thanks

Anonymous

impossible

Unregistered guest
I have a new plasma Sony KDE37XS955 and am using Comcast Cable in the San Francisco Bay area - North Bay. I have both the Cable Card and the DVD recorder/HD box, All I have to do is switch from TV(Cable Card) to Video5(DVrecorder) and I get the guide and ability to record

We had a great Comcast tech install the CableCard, but before he would install the CableCard he literally re-ran cables in my house from the street in since he wasn't satisfied with signal strength. He then spent 30 minutes trying to get the cable card to install with no luck, it was about 7:30PM so he left for the evening while the card was downloading channels. Left me his desk supervisors direct number to call if it didn't install. Before we called the desk supervisors phone number the next morning, he called back to check on the system, when he found it still wasn't working he got two new cards to install before he came back to the house. He then spent about 45 minutes trying to get the new cards to install with no luck, finally found out the cards hadn't been programmed before he got them.

He had the San Rafael office program the cards from the cable and a minute later we got it all Digital and HD. Great guy and much better effort from him and his support people than I expected. They were determined not to leave until it worked!!. You don't get the guide with the cable card, but I get all the TV controls back.

Ernie
Novato, CA

helpinout
Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic Plasma that has a Comcast Cable Card installed and a Digital Box also. The TV has two tuners so I the split (prior to the TV) entails raw signal going to Antenna A which is Cable Card controlled. The other signal goes through the digital box and then routes to Antenna B. That way I can use my TV remote and control all functions, still have menus.

One other thing I did because I have Plasma was to take the extra audio Out from the Digital Box (using Optic from TV to Home Theater Receiver)and connected audio to the home theater on Video One. That allows me to listen to the music channels with the Plasma turned off.

Clueless_in_NJ
Unregistered guest
I have a HDTV SONY KP-51WS510 (with dual tuner)and Comcast cable service with cable modem for the internet( I bought my own cable modem). I don't want to pay additional fee to subscribe for their digital service every month. Can I buy any Digital tuner in the market that will work with the Comcast cable and watch HDTV broadcasts on ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS channels ?

Unregistered guest
I recently went through the process of building my own Windows Media Center PC with 2005 version of MCE. Once I worked out the kinks, it is working great, the ONLY issue is the painful delay in changing channels on my digital set top box with the IR blaster. The cable card option doesn't help my situation (or anyone who relies on a DVR to change the channel). Since my dvr is a computer, does anyone make a add-on device (pci card, usb, etc) that accepts the cable card and works with the computers tuner card to receive and descramble all the channels? That would make my dvr set up just about perfect. I could plug the cable directly into the computers tuner with no set top box, receive digital/HD signal, have a program guide, and change the channels without an incredibly annoying delay.

Unregistered guest
Hi - I have a new panasonic TH37PD25U and Comcast in Prince William, VA has so far installed two cable cards that will not let me view any digital channels. They are bringing out a third next week. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what was the solution?

Anonymous

Clueless_in_NJ and other people fed up with paying extra for Cable.

I bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma TV (TH-42PD25U/P) recently, and subscribe to the basic analog service from Comcast ($52/month). Since this TV has a built-in digital tuner and QAM, I now get HD broadcasts (ABC, CBS, NBC, MPT) free by typing on the remote control the "over-the-air" station number and then a dash, and then 1. For example, ABC in my area is channel 2, so ABC in HD is 2-1. The dash is an actual key on the remote. This is an enhanced definition tv, but it can still pick up the HD signal by "down-converting" it. You will never see the difference between ED & HD.

But here's the best part, for some reason, I get digital music, on-demand movies, and pay-per-view stations. However, the draw back is that I cannot control the movie. My theory is that someone in my area orders a movie, and then when I flip to that station, I get to watch it with them. However, when they pause, FWD, or RWD the movie, I too see the movie pause, FWD, or RWD. I'm not too worried about it b/c it is free, so we just watch whenever.

I also bought a Samsung HDTV (built-in HD tuner), but it does not get the same digital features as the Panasonic.

My advice would be get this model of Panasonic and try it yourself.

cjunior
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony KDF-55XS955 and have the the cable going directly from the wall into the built in tuner and after auto programming I have all local HD channels (with the exception of CBS) and have audio channels and for some reason I am getting random on demand programming. I have digital cable (box is currently unhooked, planning to reconnect it to take advantage of the twin picture mode and my other digital content) with no premium channels so I'm surprised to see that I can get some premium movies and other premium content. Picture quality is much better with analog channels using the built-in tuner vs. using the digital cable box. Comcast is my provider.

Username: Slugger23

cjunior,

interesting, I have the same situation, only that I do NOT subscribe to digital cable, and that I get all of the local HD channels except for Fox. if only there was a way that we could harness this advantage....

Anonymous

Anyone having problems with getting analog channels with a Comcast cablecard in the Chicago area? My digital channels are perfect, but the cablecard can't tune below channel 101. But if I look at the channel setup for the cablecard (to disable channels), all the analog channels display with their station names as well as the digital channels. This is with a Sharp Aquos LC-26GD6U.

cjunior
Unregistered guest
Jake, I don't receive CBS because the company that owns the local CBS station wants Comcast to pay for it's HD signal that it broadcast free. From what I've heard, Comcast carries the local HD signals through their cable unscrambled and that their HD content is mostly for those that don't have built in tuners and need to rent a HD box to receive the HD channels. I think they include, in addition to the local channels, ESPNHD and a couple other HD channels with the package that they charge $5 for. Not sure if I'll break down and pay the money right now or wait until they provide more HD content then what they do right now. I set my box back up so I have digital cable coming through on side and the local HD channels and analog cable coming through the other side. I still think it's strange that I can pick up on demand channels. I think they're from people on the grid because sometimes I'll see it freeze and rewind and then start up again. I even did a test where I picked a free on demand movie and started it in twin view and then surfed the sub channels until I can upon the movie I started. On demand playing in sync one with the digital box one with the cable straight into the back of the TV. Eventually I'll figure out what's going on exactly.

updated
Unregistered guest
Concerning the cable card in Chicago. I have no problem getting both the analog & digital channels with the Comcast Card. It sounds like there may be a setting on your TV that is not correct. Do you have dual tuners? If you do make sure everything is set to antenna A.

Unregistered guest
Question. Does Comcast have a box that supports DVI? I have a HDTV with only 2 HDTV inputs, and a DVI input. I already have my DVD Player and PS2 going into the 2 inputs.

cableguy
Unregistered guest
There sure are a lot of post about Comcast, just curious...anybody with Time Warner?

To Anonymous posted on March 17th, I believe with the Sharp CC TVs you have to split the feed, one to the digital RF input the other to the Analog RF input. There is a button on your Sharp remote control that dictates Digital or Analog input, all digital channels, you need to be viewing on the digital input, all analog channels on the analog input. Hope this helps.

p.s. I didn't make it, I just try to help you figure it out.

cableguy
Unregistered guest
There sure are a lot of post about Comcast, just curious...anybody with Time Warner?

To Anonymous posted on March 17th, I believe with the Sharp CC TVs you have to split the feed, one to the digital RF input the other to the Analog RF input. There is a button on your Sharp remote control that dictates Digital or Analog input, all digital channels, you need to be viewing on the digital input, all analog channels on the analog input. Hope this helps.

p.s. I didn't make it, I just try to help you figure it out.

cableguy
Unregistered guest
grr...there's that echo again. Sorry for the repost, my mouse doth protest me

Anonymous

Does anyone know if Comcast (Chicago suburbs)has to program the cable card or can a card be purchased preprogrammmed for the chicago area?
Can you take one card for a TV and install it in another TV?

billllyhillly
Unregistered guest
Card has to be programmed for the viewing area you are in. Theoretically the cable card should work in any Brand TV the has cable card capability.

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 39
It's not theoretical, it's factual. As far as preprogramming, when the card is inserted into a cable system, it gets regional data from the cable co and establishes a channel map consistant with what you would normally see using a STB. There is a CableCARD ID, Host ID and CableCARD serial number. If none of these exist in the cable company data base, the card will not receive authorization to work. Hope this helps

Anonymous

Has anyone tried to use their "own" hd set top tuner/receiver w/a Comcast digital subscription? i would MUCH rather use my own (Sony SAT-HD300)set top than renting from Comcast. Do I have a choice (is the Cable Card a potential solution)? any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Anonymous

Hi, I'm getting a MyHD MDP-130 PCI card for my pc in a few days. It is QAM capable. No cablecard slot as far as I can tell. I current subscribe to comcast standard ANALOG cable. Will I be able to connect my card to the current ANALOG cable service and receive any HDTV channels without paying $5 extra for their HDTV service? If I do have to subscribe to the $5 extra service, will I receive any HDTV channels without a cardcard AND without their cable box? (meaning they have unscrambled local channels)

Username: Forznoles

Panama City, FL USA

I just got a Sony WEGA 55" LCD Projection TV HDTV (KDF-55WF655), and am having Comcast (North FL) come out tomorrow to install a Cable Card. I have, of course, been told of the two main disadvantages vs/ the set-top box (STB): no PPV or On-Demand, and no on-screen guide. However, the rep on the phone said PIP will not work with a Cable Card, but would with a STB. Does anyone know if this is true? I read in another thread that with the two built-in tuners, it will work, with one tuner receiving all digital and HDTV programming, but one tuner only receiving only the Ch 2-99 programming (NTSC vs. ATSC, or something-like-that). I'm not sure who to believe - if PIP won't work, I'd go for the STB, but it's an extra $9.95/month around here, and I've read from others they charge only $5/month in their area. The thing about one tuner receiving everything, and the other tuner receiving only non-digital programming does explain one thing I noticed - the screen on the right on split-screen/PIP does NOT receive Video 5 or Video 6, which is for DVD inputs. Only the left side of the screen will accept those two inputs. But, that aside, has anyone had the Cable Card screw up their PIP/split-screens, especially with my TV. I think the rep on the phone was wrong - I read this in an archived thread, but wanted to see what others had to say.

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 55
One picture full access, the other 1-99 analog NTSC. Video 5 and 6 are component inputs and won't be available on your TV when using split screen. I've seen enough of these CC's on Sony TV's to know you should be fine with what you've got planned. The only real reason you'll need a STB is for PPV/MOD or the interactive program guide information. Just remember that the full access ( analog and digital channels ) will be only available on the left hand picture. The picture on the right can only be the analog (NTSC) channels. In other words you can't watch HBO on the right side picture unless you have a STB going to a composite input and it's on the right side ( damn that sounds confusing just to write it lol) Digital channels will always be the left hand side for the good stuff, but you can always use the toggle to dictate which audio you are hearing ( right or left picture) Hope this helps

Panama City, FL USA

Cableguy, thanks. Actually, the left side of the split-screen does receive Video 5 and 6 - I can watch all channels, including a DVD hooked up to Video 5 on the left side, and then Ch. 2-99 and Videos #1-4 only on the right. I'm now curious about what I should expect on the audio side of things. My TV has an optical out for audio. My Bose Lifestyle 38 has an optical in, and you must assign it to something, a button that would "expect" optical in. My thoughts are to assign it to "Cbl/Sat", then when I have a digital channel (thru full-screen mode, or the left side of split-screen) I'll listen to the TV thru the Bose, with the "Cbl/Sat" button. Then, when I only have an analog signal (i.e. right side of the split-screen), I'll switch the Bose to "TV", and have the TV hooked up to the Bose thru both the regular Audio Out and the Optical Audio Out. Does this make sense?

ChiefPilot
Unregistered guest
In Reference to Anonymous post on April 14th.

Short answer is NO.

Long answer follows.

Model number is SAT-HD300. Your first clue is that it is a SATellite receiver. You cannot use a Satellite receiver to decode digital cable signals because it is not QAM capable.

Just like you can't put a VHS tape in a DVD player.
Just like you can't drive your Camry across lake michigan.
Just like you can't fly a Boeing 777 to Jupiter.

A major reason ComcastTheHut and the other fat cable slobs upgraded to bi-directional cable is for your money. They cry about lost revenues to cable theft so they put in addressable converters (more accurately Set Top Boxes, but known as converters because they would "convert" or RF modulate the signal to channel 3 or 4 for older non-cable ready TVs). If a STB or cable modem isn't registered with the cable company's head-end, it won't communicate. Period.

Otherwise, I would just go hook up my cable modem and steal broadband from ComcastTheHut.

Now they force you to rent the STB, and make even more money.

Cable companies can't be thrilled about this CableCard technology. Free cablecards to subs means fewer STBs. Fewer STBs mean less STB rent revenue. If you don't have STB, you can't get PPV as easily. That means less PPV revenue.

Sorry to disappoint and vent, but I just read the article Fedupwithcable posted and it further enraged me.
Nice article Fed.

Username: Dpacella

Chicago, Il

I have through Comcast, a dual dvr hdtv cable box plus I have a cable card. They are both hooked up to my Mitsubishi Ws-65815. So if I want, I can record 2 programs with the dvr cable box and switch to the cable card. So it's like having 3 turners through the cable, not to mention off-air turner connected to the antenna on the roof.

Panama City, FL USA

I just got the CableCard. Everything works great - I just connected both the optical cable and the regular cables from my Bose system to the TV, and the Bose just takes a digital signal from the optical cable if it receives one, and if not, takes the signal from the regular cable. I just watched a ball game on INHD - absolutely amazing. I'm floored by the experience, especially with the true Dolby Digital 5.1 through a quality surround system. My only problem is that the optical jack on the TV is very "sensitive" - I have to play with it some to get it just right or the digital sound will cut on and off. The cable guy recommended going to a local store that cuts optical cables and getting a cable that's just the right length I need - longer cables can be a problem - you need to run it around (you can't crimp or twist up optical cables). Comcast has a couple of channels - INHD and INHD2, that simply blow you away with video and audio quality. And, the Cable Card worked just like cableguy said as far as the split-screen and PIP - it all works fine. The Comcast rep on the phone was just wrong.

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 60
another happy camper lol

Anonymous

I am looking to buy the 2005 Sharp Aquos D5U, or the D7U. these come with a Cable card slot, and the new TV Guide On Screen Interactive Program guide. anyway, i understand the cable card slot and losing the menu, but getting the HD channels still...I'm thinking the TV guide On Screen thing will remedy the menu situation. (correct me if I'm wrong) My question is this...I want Tivo or a DVR...what is the best way to do this? I'm assuming this would require a seperate box, either Tivo, or a DVR box from the Cable Co depending on which is cheapest/most effective. I know Time Warner provides an HD/DVR combo box, but most companies don't and my tv doesn't require an HD box(hence the Cable Card), so I don't want any unnecessary costs.

I want to know if the DVR will work with the On Screen TV guide, or it's own guide, and if the recorded programs for HD will remain in HD? do I need an HD DVR? Confusing I know, but I hope someone understands my main concern. If including a DVR, or Tivo box will cause problems with HD? What might be some pros/cons,and what's the best way to make it all work?

Chicago, Il

Well the cheapest way to go is thru your cable company.It will cost $10.00 extra a month, for HDTV with dvr, where Tivo dont offer that HDTV option. Make sure you get the dual tuner dvr. So you can record and watch something at the same time. If you get Tivo, I think they are more for DirecTv. And I think they have 80gigs harddrive, where cable gives you 120gig hard drive. Meaning more recording time.Because when you record in HD it takes up more harddrive space vs. SD Then you dont have to buy expensive equipment. You can switch your cable equiment and stay up with the times. So then you are not stuck with something that is out of it time in 6 months. So I hope this helps, if any other ? just ask.

Unregistered guest
That's what i thought, just wanted it backed up. So I have to live somewhere that a cable provider offers an HD DVR. then I'm all set. What about a place like Denver that only has Dish Network. they have both an HD box, and a DVR box, but not a combo. Do Cable cards work with Dish Network? Ie. do I need the HD box even though I have the cable card slot?..plus I obviously need the DVR.

Chicago, Il

Well if you go with Dishnetwork, they have dvr hdtv receiver over $500.00 model# DVR-921. Then you would have to put a off-air antenna on the roof to receive HDTV local. So you should call your local cable company, to see what they offer.

Chicago, Il

One more thing, if you get the cable card. You will just get digital and Hdtv channels, no ppv, no dvr(need top box with hdd) and no program guide. I think only cable card slot is only for cable.

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 66
The SA 8300HD-DVR has a 160 gig hard drive. If you record HD it plays back HD and so on and so forth. CableCARD gives you access to everything you normally get with a STB minus PPV, MOD and the interactive program guide. Some manufacturer's have included TV Guide into their software, and I believe it is a pay service (monthly charge? no idea I work for TW)
In answer to your question anonymous, if you don't need access to any of these features then the CC will suffice. I work for a cable company, I don't consider myself biased, but when you factor in the cost of purchasing the HD-DVR, cash and carry, if you live near a good cable co it might be cheaper to go with them over SAT if you need these services. Can't help you with Dish Network/CableCARD questions as I don't know anything about SAT companies and services they offer, I'll let somebody who actually has their service better inform you.

Anonymous

Hey Cable Guy,
Consumer Reports Mag. says 2-way cable cards--when they come out--will not work with DCR TVs equipped with the 1-way cable card. Is this correct? If this is correct, can the old cable card slot or TV be upgraded with software or any other means? And when will 2-way cards be available? Thanks.

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 75
Anonymous,
From my understanding of the current one-way CC DCR TV's, they will not work.
The CableCARD is already compliant with two-way technology, it is the TV's that don't allow two-way access.
Unless you contact your respective manufacturer and ask them the same question, I can't be of any help. Just do the kindness of calling them and then letting this forum know what they tell you, everybody that currently has CC access will benefit to learn from what they tell you.
Best of luck.

Odin The Younger
Unregistered guest
Per cable guy's suggestion, I contacted Hitachi to find out whether their first generation cable card readers that are in current TVs will be upgradeable via Hitachi software to work with 2nd gen cable cards when they are available. Hitachi tech rep says they have no info on the 2nd gen card yet, so they cannot say whether such an upgrade via software will be possible. The rep also said the date for the new card is not known. I can only assume this Hitachi rep is knowledgable about this. He sounded confident. At any rate, it doesnt seem to make sense to delay purchase of a TV if waiting for the new cable card reader is the only holdup. If the only diff is the TV Guide and ability to order movies via screen, I can live without those features.

Unregistered guest
I have been reading a lot of the dialog and it has helped me quite a bit.

I am looking to buy 1 of 2 a Sharp LCD tvs. One comes with the cable card and one doesn't. Even though the technology is mostly one way now, if I were to get the tv with the cable card would I still need the coaxial cable connected to the tv?

I am asking because I am in a new building and I converted my dining room into a fam room which will house the tv and currently there is no cable connection in that room.

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 96
Tyrie, yes you would still need a coaxial cable connected to the DCR with CC access. The CC replaces what your STB does, which is to say decrypts scrambled channels, without any cable the card is useless.

Anonymous

You guys have some great posts but let's review some of the moronic statements above:

Do ya think that cable companies get those channels for free? As per an article in "The Seattle Times" the costs are directly related to what sports figures get paid.
ESPN is the most popular channel on TV. They can charge cable companies whatever they want. If a baseball player gets $60 million dollars for five years that gets passed along.
As far as packages go. Those packages are purchased 5 or 10 at a time. If Ted Turner wants to market a "Basket weaving" channel he will force cable companies to take this along with another popular channel. (Like ESPN)
Also keep in mind that your cable company is regulated more than your phone company. Call your local franchise authority if you don't believe it.
As far as a "Monopoly" goes you can get tv in many different ways. If ya don't like what ya got call the franchise authority.
Lastly... you're a complete idiot if you don't think any business doesn't want to make money. DUH!
Comcast completed in 1 year what AT&T wasn't going to do for 6 more.
Quit your whining or start your own cable company

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 99
Odin, just to verify a statement....the CC's are already 2-way compliant, it's the TV's that are one way. As soon as a manufacturer comes up with a two-way CC compliant DCR, PPV's and MOD's are in like Flint.

fx
Unregistered guest
"the CC's are already 2-way compliant, it's the TV's that are one way. As soon as a manufacturer comes up with a two-way CC compliant DCR, PPV's and MOD's are in like Flint."

cableguy,

What makes you think that? All the cablecard does is replace the STB. Why would you believe that the display will work fine with an STB in two-way communication and then suddenly stop working two-way when you insert a cablecard? Cablecards are indeed one way only, the spec for two-way cablecard communication is not yet finalized.

The current cablecard spec is CC1.0 it will likely be two years or longer before the CC2.0 spec is determined.

Good Link:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/CableCARDprimer.php

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 100
fx, I'm stating exactly what I was told by the SA engineers who developed the CC. The CC is already built to accomodate two-way functionality, it is the TV manufacturer's that built a one-way CC slot. The CC has the firmware in place, in fact on some of the diagnostic screens (depending on your TV) there is a screen that show's IP address, although it is blank because the TV will not allow reverse communication. Thanks for the link, been there done that already back in Oct of last year. If you look at the second sentence down at the bottom of the article(insert copy paste here)

In addition, it is likely that one-way (i.e. all current) CableCARD devices (televisions, custom set-top boxes) will not be able to handle two-way CableCARDs and will need to be redesigned.

(end copy paste)

I don't know exactly who this gentleman is that wrote the article, this was also back in Oct of last year when he wrote it. On the SA CC, we are using SP2 and from what I've been told by the people that made it, they claim it's compliant for two-way access. Not to say I know for certain because I'm going by what they told me, and I haven't seen one working two-way as of yet. I will be able to confirm this or say you were right when they come out with a two-way compliant DCR and we get a new CC. Everything I've seen from diagnostic screens says the card is ready, just waiting on somebody to make something we can check it with.

Username: Britboy

I have a Comcast digital cable box and I'm using a Denon surround sound receiver. I want to record from cable onto a VCR. I'm unsure how to make the right connections. Should I use the RCA phono sockets on the cable box to connect directly to the receiver for watching cable TV and use the coax out from the cable box into the VCR and then use the RCA phono OUT on the VCR into the receiver for recording and play back?

Username: Diplomatusa

I bought a Samsung SIR-T451 Digital TV set top box (and Samsung indoor antenna) to connect to a Westinghouse LCD TV to receive OTA HD programming. I also have free basic analog cable through the condo. Can I connect BOTH the new HD interior antenna and the Comcast cable to the TV? Will I then be able to watch both HD OTA channels and the analog cable channels? HELP!

Username: Gjn_mn

Can some audio or video engineer tell me how putting a Comcast Digital box upgrading to Comcast digital service on my analog TV will improve my picture and sound. The signal that I get from Comcast either in analog or digital is limited by the quality of my current analog TV, Right?
Comcast has been trying to upgrade my current cable service and the sale people keep telling me that I will get better picture and sound with their digital service. I keep telling them that the quality of my picture and sound is limited by my analog TV set not their digital service. Is this right or wrong?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 117
question, since I don't work for COX: Does COX carry all digital or analog/digital mix?
If they offer all digital, yes you will see an improvement in the picture quality even on your analog TV. If they offer an analog/digital mix, then the only improvement you are going to see in the picture quality is on the digital channels. The analog channels will still be anolog even through a digital converter, if that's how they are being sent out. Some cable companies, in the near future will be able to do a digital simulcast, in essence if you have a digital STB all channels will be in digital, if you don't have a STB (cable directly to a TV) you will only get analog signal. Yes there is an improvement with digital sound.
Questions you can ask them:
Are all channels digital?
If the current analog channels are still going to be analog on the digital converter, do they have digital audio?

How many channels and what those channels are should make or break your decision to upgrade to digital service, just make sure you get the facts before you get disappointed. I've had a lot of customer's say " well the way the sales rep made it sound was all the channels reception would improve" only to find out that analog pictures still look like analog channels. Once a company simulcast all analog channels into digital, then picture quality will be across the board...until then we all have to deal with analog quality. Hope this helps

reidcar22
Unregistered guest
I have recently purchased a 42" Hitachi LCD Rear Projection HDTV. I live in Ohio and have to use Massillon Cable. I have basic cable service and added a cable card for HD channels. One MAJOR PROBLEM....the card isn't working!!! The cableguy has been out three times now and still doesn't know what the problem is. After the card is installed the TV goes into "Aquiring Data" mode and just stays there...it doesn't progress to the next step. They've tried installing a two different cable cards already, in case the first one was defective. We've also installed the Hitachi upgrade software, which we were told was the cause of the problem, with no change! Hitachi doesn't seem to be much help either!! I've been told that they've logged the problem and a techinician will be contacting me within a couple of days....that was 3 days ago! Has anyone else experienced this problem? Both Hitachi and Massillon Cable keep using the excuse that the technology is so new...they're not sure if it's a problem with the TV or the Cable Co. They also claim that this is a widely spread problem accross all TV manufacturers. I feel like I'm getting the run-around. Any suggestions as to what the problem or solution might be? HELP!!!

Anonymous

I think you may need a jumper for both sides of your new set. The analog cable and digital cable need to be feed or split from your cable feed. You will also need to pull your cable card and do your your set up before you pluge the cable card back in. This was what was needed on my sharp set.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 120
That's only true for the Sharp TV model.

reidcar22...what type of CC is Massillon using SA or Motorola. I can tell you the SA CC in Time Warner works just fine with Hitachi.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us