I Want My SDTV! Best models?

Username: The_tman

Post Number: 1
yes, I want SD, there I admit it.

I watch 70% SD straight cable, 30% DVD's
I'm not concerned about "emergent next gen technology" and the hope of 1080i/p 2-3 years from now.
All the new Sammy/Mitsu/etc DLP look like total garbage with a SD signal.
And please don't say "garbage in garbage out, forget old tech, look how good HD looks!" etc.

I have a 10yr. old SD Pioneer, that still looks great, but finally is starting to have sound/screen flash issues, so I looking to buy a new TV.

I want the best of both worlds, "very nice" SD playback and HD when needed.

I want to watch TVland or any other SD cable channel without getting a headache from how blurry it looks.

I want 3 things, in order of importance-
1. To watch SD TV signals that don't look muddled and fuzzy
and
2. A TV that doesn't have the shiny reflective screen protector
and
3. A TV that won't break down or need parts(lamps etc.)in 1-2 yrs.

I have heard that the first gen HD Pioneer Elites RP from a few years ago looked FANTASTIC with a SD signal.
They did the best job of upconverting the SD signal, I think with a "cinema wide"(?) mode or something like that.

I don't care for the flickery look of DLP so all things being being said, it seems like RPLCD is what I think I am narrowed down(?) to or
a older RP Pioneer Elite maybe or?

What is/are the BEST TV's being made that will do both SD and HD?
56"-60" max size.
$ not an issue, up to $3-5K anyway =-P

thanks for your advice all, LMK what models you recommend!!!

PS- No I don't want to fix the Pioneer I have. heheh

Post Number: 2
or HD RPCRT medels??

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 437
Sounds like you have it all figured out, but for the exception that DLP doesn't flicker. It is a lamp technology, so, I guess one of the best looking displays available today is not for you.

Think of the absurdity of what you are saying. You want SD with 525 interlaced lines to look good on a 56"-60" screen. Not even RPCRT will deliver on that effort, though it may be your best bet. Decent looking SD is not happening beyond a 36" direct view picture tube.

You are going to be one of those that won't let go of the past. SD, after all, is on it's way out. ED/HD networks like abc, nbc, cbs, fox, pbs, tnt, ect. are on full time with incredible resolution. With dedicated HD channels like Discovery and my favorite, HDNET along with two ESPN's, HBO, and Showtime I'm afraid SD just plain sucks. There was rarely any compelling programming on those odd channels anyway. They will be forced to scan and convert their assett material to HD or advertisers will not pay their bills. The pinch is already being felt.

You can do what you want with your money, but I don't advise anyone to invest in the past. Otherwise, you will eventually have a digital to analog converter box to dumb down your crisp clear signals so you can see them on your relic tv set.

You're willing to spend $4000, so, take a strong look at the new Sony KDS-R60XBR1. It's an LCD on silicon called LCOS. It will change your viewing habits forever. The lamp will most likely last much longer than a DLP.

Buy a real display for the future!

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=11403514&search=sony+kds r60xbr1

Post Number: 3
....sigh....
anyone else?

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 244
I ditto what FYI said above largely...

36 inch or smaller....

Or maybe a CRT based RPTV. I just sold a Toshiba 57H81 that looked pretty good, did a good job of streching a SD signal to flll the screen , etc.

If I was you I'd look at a CRT based set, and then get a STB to pick up OTA signals.... More and more stations ARE broadcasting a HD'ist signal.. (You san REALLY tell a differance SD, to a low end HD feed)

In a nutshell "garbage in garbage out"... the bigger you go. The bigger you got the more noticeble. To spend 3-5K to watch SD programing is a waste of money...

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 117
What they said. Your basically asking to buy the same set you bought ten years ago and they don't make them anymore.
SD is yesterdays newspapers and until everything goes either HD or at the least ED Digital we have to deal with how awful SD can look on HD sets. I don't think it's so much the SD that's the problem it's the fact that these signals are also Analog. My Digital SD channels look VERY good on my Samsung HLR5067w but the Analog channels look like garbage.

Post Number: 4
I made it clear that I didn't need the "get with the future, garbage in - out"
but thats exactly what I get so far

anyone say "maybe you can buy a pioneer from
2004 or so, they still do decent SD"

theres got to be a few people that still watch SD and HD and have a decent TV for doing so

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
T-man,

My JVC does an okay job with SD but only with a 100% digital cable signal. It is certainly not as good as a dedicated SD set nor as good as HD but I don't expect that. I think it is all up to what your expectations are and the quality of the signal you are going to feed it.

If you are looking at the newer technologies (i.e. LCOS, DLP, LCD, Plasma, etc.), then you need to have a strong digital signal to get an acceptable level of display. If your signal is lacking, the picture will be lacking. Also, if you are really picky, no signal will provide you with flawless SD because the necessary image data is not there for the newer displays.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 249
T-Man,

Your choices:

1: 36 inch or smaller....

2: A CRT based RPTV. I just sold a CRT based Toshiba 57H81 that looked pretty good, did a good job of streching a SD signal to fill the screen , etc.

3: Buy say a $1,500 set, and spend the rest of the $3-5K on decent programing to get a good signal.

A CRT based set is going to fill the bill for you the best I believe... that and a STB, or a set with a built in OTA tuner.

On the cable... you're on your own there... From posts I've read, on the super-duper "non-crt" sets, the image depends on how much they compress the signal... Most all are HIGHLY dependent on a good signal.

Me thinks you should look into a RP-CRT based set.. It will look more like you're used to... and they are just about giving them away these days.

Anonymous

"3: Buy say a $1,500 set, and spend the rest of the $3-5K on decent programing to get a good signal."

Now...that's funny!

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 76
8-Track party at T-Mans house,.....T-Man, your living in the past. Dont fight technology. Embrace it like a warm fuzzy pet like a cute badger. Sooner or later you know its gonna turn on you but until then, enjoy all the new attention you get from the neighbors for being the first on the block to own one.

The+T-man
Unregistered guest
man did some of you guys even read my post before replying?
you can't watch Mr.Ed or Andy Griffith or the Brady Bunch or orignal Star Trek or about 600 other "classic TV" shows in HD
WTH is with saying" get with the future" when I clearly said, I don't need posts like that and they aren't answering the question
If you have a TV that dows decent SD adn HD please reply
if not, and your are a early adopter of stop gap technology, I'm sorry to hear it, but don't try to get me to join you.
...sigh...
noone has yet said Gee Pioneer makes nice CRTRP TV

Anonymous

Nice try...imposter!
Get a life!

The+T-man
Unregistered guest
huh?

The+T-man
Unregistered guest
What I mean is, I LIKE 4 x 3 Standard definition programming and I'll be danged if I'm going to let a bunch of consarned whippersnappers are going to get me to change! And I HATE those black bars on my TV when I watch one of them newfangled Dee Vee Dee videos! I also prefer the US postal service to e-mail and don't try to get me to change that either! Fact of the matter is I'm elderly and tv stopped for me when Johnny Carson went off the air. I need a television that's made of good old American wood and if it runs on coal or kerosene then that's all the better! My nurse has to put the vap o rub on my chest now so good night.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us