HD Comcast DVR low resolution

Username: Cspringer6

Post Number: 2
I am a newbie to this, and would appreciate any insight anyone could provide on the following: I recently purchased a Samsung HLR5067w DLP and have noticed very low resolution and picture quality on the lower channels through my Comcast HD DVR. HD Channels come in perfect and the picture quality on the channels in the 100's and higher is fine. I have had a comcast tech out to take a look at the signal strenth which appeared to be fine to them. The tech informed me that the lower channels are all broadcast as an analog signal and my tv really "wants" a digital signal. Is this true, and if so are there any settings or suggestions anyone might have to improve the picture quality on these channels? The tech told me that Comcast is in the process of upgrading and replacing the current HD boxes with a new smaller version (similar in size to the cable modem) which will broadcast all channels digitally and should help improve the picture quality on the lower end channels. He claims this should be happening in the next month or so, but I am not sure how true this really is. Any info would be appreciated Thanks

orion562
Unregistered guest
"The tech informed me that the lower channels are all broadcast as an analog signal"
true
"and my tv really "wants" a digital signal."
not true.
Your tv includes an analog tuner and works best with a direct analog feed. Simply install a splitter to watch the lower channels directly by bypassing the HD DVR. (The DVR converts the signal to digital and this added conversion produces the lower quality). Digital cable is a misnomer as the signal starts as an analog signal and is converted by the cable company to digital to squeeze more channels into the same bandwidth. Shows like Monday Night Football are shot with hi def cameras from the start and thus are the real digital channels.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us