Low resolution on Comcast DVR

Username: Cspringer6

Post Number: 1
I am a newbie to this, and would appreciate any insight anyone could provide on the following: I recently purchased a Samsung HLR5067w DLP and have noticed very low resolution and picture quality on the lower channels through my Comcast HD DVR. HD Channels come in perfect and the picture quality on the channels in the 100's and higher is fine. I have had a comcast tech out to take a look at the signal strenth which appeared to be fine to them. The tech informed me that the lower channels are all broadcast as an analog signal and my tv really "wants" a digital signal. Is this true, and if so are there any settings or suggestions anyone might have to improve the picture quality on these channels? The tech told me that Comcast is in the process of upgrading and replacing the current HD boxes with a new smaller version (similar in size to the cable modem) which will broadcast all channels digitally and should help improve the picture quality on the lower end channels. He claims this should be happening in the next month or so, but I am not sure how true this really is. Any info would be appreciated Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Cuylar

MN USA

Post Number: 42
Don't hold your breath waiting for comcast. Turn off the box. Press menu. Make the 4:3 setting 480i. Try it now. That's as good as it will get. Use your tv's menu to "wide zoom" if it doesn't automatically.

shadow5606
Unregistered guest
This is an older post so I don't know if you'll get this... as long as they are broadcasting in analog (which they are) it won't matter if your cable box converts to digital... garbage in, garbage out...

Cable companies all lie about their "digital" cable... it's analog... you might get a hadfull of digital channels and the digital onscreen guide but that's about it.

Tell them to screw off for lying to you and go sign up w/ Dish or DirectTV.

Username: Robbie1

Sterling, VA USA

Post Number: 8
Had same problem; installed splitter so SD channels 1-99 are fed directly via cable and digital plus HD channels are fed through the STB.
All you do is switch input sources as necessary on the TV and you can get all channels clear. Yes, almost all ISPs will probably be broadcasting all digital signals by end of 2006 and newer versions of boxes will help also.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us