How to degaus

Username: Wwpranma

Fort Walton Beach Florida, Fl USA

Post Number: 1
I'm not even sure if I even need to degaus my tv due to the damage. On the right hand side, there is a huge color discoloration that is very clear on the picture. While picture is still easily viewable, I've been told that I should degaus the picture. I've had this problem on there for about 3 1/2 years, and that's mainly because I've never taken the time to fix it. Is there any reason why degausing the problem won't fix it even though the color distortion has existed there for 3 1/2 years or is that distortion permanently burned into the screen?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Eric, a couple of things to consider. . . first has this set ever been dropped? A hard drop can cause the shadow mask inside the tube to shift, which will cause a permanent discoloration that a degauss will not fix. If it's a cheap off brand model, the manufacturer may not have allowed enough reserve for the magnetic fields of Florida, which, by the way, happen to be an extreme for the continential US. If it's a good brand name set, over a course of 3 1/2 years, the set's internal degauss circuity should have removed this discoloration, assuming it's working properly.

A degauss coil from a service tech should be used to remove the discoloration. It takes about 15 seconds to perform. And, no, discoloration due to magenetic fields are never permanently burned into the screen.

Username: Wwpranma

Fort Walton Beach Florida, Fl USA

Post Number: 2
Yeah, it was dropped hard at one point. But every person I know kept trying to convince me that all I needed to do was degaus it even though I told them I doubted that it was magnetic damage due to the discoloration. If it is such a thing as a shadow mask tube being shifted, is there any way to get that fixed? Would I be able to pay a tv repair man to fix it?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
No, unfortunately, once the shadow mask shifts position, there is no way to get it back to precisely the same point. It sounds like this set will always have the discoloration.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us