HDMI - is it worth it?

Bronze Member
Username: Littlericky

Springfield, VA USA

Post Number: 17
I got a new TV not too long ago (Toshiba 26HF85). I've got my DVD player plugged into it with the Component connection, which is working well. But the TV has an HDMI input and I've been reading about DVD players with "up-conversion" via the HDMI connection...supposed to enhance the resolution making the DVD resolution closer to high-def.

The DVD player is a Panasonic (Model DVD-F84, if memory serves) - probably not the greatest...but it's working fine.

Is HDMI up-conversion likely to provide a big improvement in quality over what I've got?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Mine doesn't. I have a toshiba connected through HDMI to my Sony 32 HDTV. I notice no difference, and in fact I think it looks a little worse when it's upconverted.

The toshiba is a shitty DVD player anyways...regret buying it.

Bronze Member
Username: Littlericky

Springfield, VA USA

Post Number: 18
Anonymous - Thanks for the input. I'm not surprised that you feel that way. For one thing, it seems like the consensus is that HDMI upconversion will give a modest improvement at best, and possibly no improvement at all, depending on the quality of the source medium. Secondly, I also had a Toshiba DVD player. It lasted about a year - got progressively worse in terms of skipping and screwing up...finally just got to the point where trying to watch anything with it was a purely miserable experience. I actually got a notice in the mail that there was a class action suit against Toshiba because their DVD players were so faulty. I think I could have gotten about twenty-five bucks from that...if I understood the fine print correctly...never followed up on it, though.

Yeah, Ive had a couple of Toshiba TVs that were really great. But that DVD player was trash.

Artie
Unregistered guest
Praetorian: I just got the same Sony 50" TV, and am in the market for a DVD player - which model did you get? I have my Comcast cable box connected to the HDMI input already, but would probably get an A/B HDMI box if needed.

Username: Blb

Post Number: 4
For an upconverting dvd player, Panny S77 or the S97

Username: Artie

Post Number: 1
Does the LG play DVD-Audio or SACD? Do you know if it upconverts via composite cables?

Username: Artie

Post Number: 2
Duh! Missed that on the list. I do see that it has a 5.1 Discrete Channel Output; does that mean it also can play DVD-Audio discs as well? Didn't see that listed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us