Archive through September 10, 2005

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 212
Technicians try a lamp first.
If it won't fire, at least you have a spare lamp.

Username: Terryw

Post Number: 4
FYI & Anon,

Thank you very much for your comments. It looks like I will need to replace the lamp.

Can you tell me how difficult it is to replace the ballast? If I do need to order both I would like to put it in myself as I cannot afford a service call on top of the $280+ for both parts.

Aside from the usual "don't touch the lamp with your fingers" warning, is there anything else I should be careful of while inside the set?

Also - Will the LampLife hours be automatically reset when I replace the lamp? Or do I need to reset it manually from the service menu?

TIA - Terry

SSGENESIS
Unregistered guest
This is to Tom Bong, I am a Tech and I work for a big electronics retail company and first I can tell you that CRT RP from now are made to last no longer than five years, your set is not an excemple of the actual industry. Second the amount and variety of problems found on CRT RP are about 1000 times more than in a DLP unit and this is not counting CRT burning, convergence, and geometry issues. A fixed pixel unit like the DLP does not have any of this problems. You are counting bulbs and think that is expensive, try changeing CRTs out of warranty, you can do the first one your self but the CRT you must have a tech do it, plus a CRT is $300-400. And the last piece of info for every one, the electronics industry anounce that all of the manufacturers but sony will stop producing CRT TVs on April of 2006, and CRT in general (for warranty purposes) a year after that. To every one, the experience of one individual IS NOT an indication of a product or brand quality. ALL consumer electronics fail, from chip to expensive, the only electronics that it shoud not fail is for military, space program or the economic systems of the country and guess what? they fail too. It is impossible to DEMAND perfection out of anything just because nothing is perfect.

Bronze Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 60
First of all as a "tech" for a large RETAIL company who's very mission is to hype and sell new product (before it may be ready)your credibility with me is nil.

CRT technology has been around long enough to throw your statement of a 5 year life span to the wind. IT is much cheaper to buy a new TV then fix a 9 year old one. Who cars id CRT guns cost $5000?

IN fact CRT guns in RP TVs have come down alot. Check those prices. I do not believe for a second April 2006 will bee the last of the CRTs. That is very wishful thinking. You will not be able to "force" the public to pay $2000 for a TV. If you are correct (and I doubt it)There had bette be fixed pixel 32 in TVs for $500 to replace them (whoch I doubt as well).

The experience of an INDIVIDUAL is NOT an indication of product reliability. The experience of MANY individuals is. And that is the issue here on ALL the forums regarding fixed pixel technology I have visited.

BTW how do you make a CRT last no longer then 5 years? Is there a timere or something. Show me a link to that statement as well as CRT s not being manufactured in a year from now.

gnob mot
Unregistered guest
Rant, rant, rant.....

CRT's suck!

Post Number: 5
Hmmm...
Does anyone know the answer to my questions above? I didn't really come here to talk about whether or not I should invest in a DLP or discuss prehistoric CRT technology.
I thought this was the "Samsung DLP problems - HELP!" thread.
TIA - Terry

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 228
Terry,

Just try the lamp first.
If it turns out that you actually need a ballast, you may want that service call or at least the service manual.

You will need to reset the lamp hours from the service menu.

With set off, Mute + 1 + 8 + 2 + Power will load the servie menu.
Arrow down to Option, then arrow right to view existing hours and reset the meter.
Don't mess around in there. You can really screw things up.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 229
Terry,

Just try the lamp first.
If it turns out that you actually need a ballast, you may want that service call or at least the service manual.

You will need to reset the lamp hours from the service menu.

With set off, Mute + 1 + 8 + 2 + Power will load the service menu.
Arrow down to Option, then arrow right to view existing hours and reset the meter.
Don't mess around in there. You can really screw things up.

Unregistered guest
WANTED...I'm looking for a NON WORKING Samsung DLP HLM or HLN 43" or 50". Any one intrested on selling one send me an e-mail. I need to fix one with a broken cabinet. ssgenesis1@hotmail.com
Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
Should not have too much trouble locating a quite few to choose from.....

Post Number: 6
FYI,

Thanks for the SM tip. I located a service manual in pdf format. The ballast is right next to the lamp. 4 screws.
Looks like getting to it should be easy. I'll avoid any contact with the other components. The service manual is very detailed.

Lilo
Unregistered guest
I can't choose between the HL-R5067w and HL-R5078w. Any suggestions? Is there a huge differnece betweem the two? Thanks!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 251
Huge is right!

The 67 is a 720P display chip and the 78 is the newest 1080P display chip. The numbers represent progressively scanned horizontal lines of resolution.

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
YOu won't notice much visually. I have seen them both with 1080i signals. 1080P is a gimmick to get FYI to buy his third "upgrade" in three years LOL

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 252
Very funny, tom!

Lilo,

I forgot to mention that the 67 has a 2500:1 contrast ratio and the 78 has a 10,000:1 contrast ratio.

If tom saw them both and didn't see a difference he is to blind to be watching HD tv.

Lilo
Unregistered guest
Alright thanks! I'll probably get the 67 since it's $1500 cheaper! I hope I'm making the right decision. They're both great TVs right? Or should I go with a Toshiba or Sony?

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 54
If you are looking at DLP you definitely want the Samsung. Gorgeousness incarnate.

HS

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
I guess all you DLP and RPCRT buyers would pay $20000 for a car that needed a $2000 brake job every yera ot two as well. LOL

Scott L.
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased the Samsung 56" DLP and am using Directv HD receiver. Am finding the standard satellite signal quite lame as it is extremely grainy especially on greens. HD is awesome although even in HD some greens (like a football field) also appear "pixelly". I'm using HDMI and feel all the connections have been thoroughly troubleshot. Is this just normal and something I'll have to accept. The picture on dvds is excellent. Please advise.

Lilo
Unregistered guest
I need help! Is it worth it to purchase the 4-yr in home warranty and 3-yr lamp replacement warranty for $450.00 for HL-R5067w?

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 68
Are you willing to pay 25% for the product? That seems like quite a bit of money to me, but I am one who NEVER buys extended warranties. Others have different opinions. Read some of the thread on this board titled Extended Warranties.

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
Lilo have a look at Cost Co if you must have a fixed Pixel Display. They have a 50" Plasma on sale for $2599. No EW needed as they have a 3 year return policy for ANY reason.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11070487&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=33 14&hierPath=79*2341*

You cannot beat that price or picture with any DLP and 60000 hours before its half as bright as new! Thats nearly 20 years of 24 hour viewing!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 64
That's the cheapest I have seen a 50" plasma go for. That thing sure does consume a lot of power though... 550 watts! That's double what most 60-70" projection TV's use.

I second the opinion of buying from Costco. Their return policy is second to none.

Silver Member

Post Number: 210
I found it today browsing the AVS forum. Amazing price for an LG glass and the worst thing those who bought this TV are saying is it's noisy.AND Visio is sending techs out beginning Sept 9 to fix that issue!! Plus the return policy negates the need for an EW as You can return that TV in three years if it breaks down and get another or a credit or refund.

I may buy a RP CRT there and hope it breaks down in three years and get a low priced SED!! LOL I'd be better of with a DLP if I want to use that strategy though.

Post Number: 7
OK - I have changed the ballast and the lamp. It still is not working. Is there anything else I can do to find the problem? I may need to throw in the towel and call for service.

Does anyone know of a reliable Samsung Service company in the San Jose area? Problem is I have no service contract for the unit and it is out of warranty.

Terry

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
Terry repeat after me...

Sometimes an older proven technology is still the better technology. I will never succumb to hype again.

Sometimes an older proven technology is still the better technology. I will never succumb to hype again.

Break out the wallet...you need a color engine...if your set is over 2 years old.....

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
Don't believe tom bong!
He's a ranting repetative idiot.

I'm not sure why he keeps repeating false information. It seems more like a self affirmation of his own propaganda.

He acts like he's on some kind of self appointed mission to save us from technology advances.

What a total moron!

Buy what you want, when you want it.

danf
Unregistered guest
I'm looking at two Samsung DLP: HL-R5667W and HL-5677W. What are the pros and cons of these sets. I care more about picture quality and stability than features such as 2 tuners for PIP. Also phyical size doesn't matter since its going into a 20 x 20 room. This room also gets plenty of sunlight. Are there other sets I should be looking to buy instead? Thanks in advance for any information

SSGENESIS
Unregistered guest
TerryW, what model do you have. Maybe I can help you.

SSGENESIS
Unregistered guest
Is not a "color engine".... it's a Light Engine.

"Against the Rant" it's right. Your ignorance is painful.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
I like how he holds up CRT RPTv as the superior technology. Have you looked at those sets lately and the shabby and downright cheap construction? Most of the cabinets are made of flimsy fiberboard. There might have been a time when they were of high quality but those days are clearly over, they are now just cheap garbage put out to capture the Walmart segment of the tv market. They seem to be redneck magnets at the store I work in. Fortunately not all rednecks are a stupid as Tom and will look beyond the cheap price at the cheap materials and look elsewhere. Even country folk understand you get what you pay for, cheap throw way CRT RPTVs are no bargain.

HS

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
Another brainwashed Sales dweeb from Best Buy doing his best to sell incomplete and costly technology to the general public. The opnly real way to do that is to trash a proven and reliable technology for the past 60 years. Samsung and LG are spending milllions STILL on CRT technology and this obvious sales dweeb is trying to discredit the only technology that broadcasters still use in their centers to monitor their output.

These guys at Best Buy have a clear incentive to sell the new technology and misinform the public. They are NOT on your side. They push EWs like cocane with scare tactics. Don't belive the no comission crap. They have targets and get spiffs based on sales. May not be direct commision but its still there.

They PUT THE RPCRTS on the TOP shelf so they purposly look bad. The profit margins on the new stuff is and will be much better from the manufacturers to the Big Box stores. They are doing all they can to steer the customer to the wallet sucking Fixed Pixel TVs. Don't belive me...Just listen to their spiels. Its all the same talking points.....

20 somethings who speak of "lately" but have not been around long enough to know anything more about CRT technology then they are spoon fed by thier managers and distributors. YEah I want to trust that guy with a $3000 purchase....NOT! You gt what you pay for? Really? $3000 for an unreliable box that keeps on taking that has the best picture on ONLY ONE INPUT SOURCE? Yeah thats smart to pay for! At least with CRT there is a tack record of reliability. You are too young to know that.

You have it half right. You are not very "Helpful" but you are most definatly a "Smurf." Get back to the store and try to fool some more people.

Gallery of Peanuts
Unregistered guest
LOL, must have hit a nerve there Smurf. Nice one

Reporter
Unregistered guest
Tom Bong

http://www.statehouse.gm/l.t-tombong.jpg

Post Number: 8
SSGENESIS,

It's a HLN4365W.

Terry

SSGENESIS
Unregistered guest
I have a Brand New Light engine for your unit, this will fix your problems. I'm selling it for about a third of the retail price. let me know if you want it, this is my e-mail ssgenesis1@hotmail.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
I have a bridege in Brooklyn I'd like to sell ya.

Enjot the "light" engine. I guess all of us CRT owners should have a spare CRT lying around too.LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
Hey Smurf I was at a BEst BUY today and the sales dweeb actually told someone HD was going be government mandated in 2006!!!!!

Needless to say I jumped in and corrected him as well the other misinformation he was spewing nearly selling an in their 50's couple a Samsung DLP.....

The couple thanked me profusely and promptly left.....

Best Buy is not the Best place to Buy these TVs if you know nothing about them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Whoop de doo. I sold 15k in new tech tonight in about 10 minutes. A 50 inch Samsung DLP with matching Stand, a 50 inch Pioneer Plasma and two 32 inch Sharp LCDs. And guess what, all of them will stay sold and the people buying them will tell all of their friends how awesome their stuff is and how great and helpful I was and send them right to my store to buy. Tough luck, I win.

Looking to Buy
Unregistered guest
Helpful Smurf,

Where do you work?

You own your own store? You refered to the store as "my store" implying it's your store.

What is the street address so I can come buy some stuff from you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
All good Best Buy employees take ownership in the store they work in, you can find guys like me at any of the stores in the country. So I guess that makes my store address Anytown USA. Come on down.

HS

Silver Member

Post Number: 261
Pluu eeze.....You guys are barely a step up from your graduation at Mc Donalds. You need no education to get a job there nevermind any in depth knowledge regarding audiovideo technology. Get off it. LOL I guess you aspire to work at Tweeters next in your career path?

The only information I would trust any of you Best Buy sales dweebs (including your managers) is the video game flavor of the week.

Onnership in my Best Buy Career...There a life achievment to be proud of. Plu-eeeze

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Flame me all you want "Tom" fact of the matter is I've taken pride and ownership in every job I've ever done. From 15 years in the Printing Business to 8 years as a commercial Sculptor making toy prototypes all the way back to working in restarants and Bars as a teenager and twentysomething. I've found having a work ethic to be a fairly rare trait in all walks of life and one that is highly valued. I've never worked a job I hated and always had fun while getting paid, to me that's the best deal going no matter what the job is I am actually doing. I'm well past the point of particularly caring what anyone thought of me in general and care even less about those that might judge me based on what I do for a living. I know who I am and know I am good at what I do, that's enogh for me.

Much as you must hate it Best Buy is THE number one electronics retailer in the world (by a HUGE margin) and one of the fastest growing companies in America. That's not such a bad star to hitch your wagon to and I'd advise anyone who loves gadgets and technology that wants a fun fast paced job to put in an application. People that shine move up fast. Why don't you apply Tom? I'm sure you won't make it past the psych profile portion of the interview to even get a first interview. They look for people skills first and foremost :-) If you do get hired you can get the employee discount on the latest fiberboard CRT Rear Projection TV, it'll probably cost you about 40 bucks plus tax.

HS

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
Fryes has it all over Best Buy. And Yes I am positive I could get a job at Best Buy easily if I need one. I too have never worked a job I did not like and becasue of that I was able to retire younger then many. Liking what you do is the key and i applaud you for that. But the type of sales people they have and I KNOW you KNOW this leaves much to be desired. They for the most part do not have the technical background to sell $5000.

You may be the exception but some of your arguments against what I have posted as common reasoning for the average Joe (who frequents places like Best Buy are not exactly much more then hype and gloss over issue statements.But then again thats what a paid sales rep is supposed to do. All I ask is for those who read these to understand that when shopping and get an alternate opinion form someone with no axe to grind and no income to derive from it.

Username: Budney

Post Number: 1
Where can I buy Samsung DLP replacement fans?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat17700050111&type=category

Try there for starters and failing that start googling.

HS

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
For some reason the URL I posted won't show up. Some type of heathen magic I think.

HS
still waiting for the revenue to start rolling in from all these posts. :-)

SSGENESIS
Unregistered guest
I don't understand you Tom, you asking for technical background to accept an advise and I've been an electornics technician for over 20 years specialized on television, plus I'm inside of the manufacturers information flow, and I haven't made any comercials about the company that I work for, still you quikly trash what I told you without asking if I had expeiance or not.
Further more, you are the only one here that looks like is getting some income out of the CRT industry, please read the messages, the vast majority are asking questions and help, not fighting over which technology is the best. One last piece of info. The DLP technology started in 1978 and the Plasma panels at the end of the 60's. You see, not exactly brand new tecnology if you consider that the color CRT was invented at the end of 1950 and made public about two years after that.

Username: Plasmatvman

Post Number: 5
samsung dlp tvs have replacement light modules/bulbs that can be purchased $200-$300 when they start fading.

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
I feel real bad about the development of DLP if it started in the 70's. They still don't have it right. DLP RP technology is not that old though and thats what people are asking about.

The technology is new in the public eye and as a mass produced item and not nearly as reliable as CRT technology. NO I have no income from Crt technology LOL. I despise manufacturers that release "beta" equiptment and thats exactly what DLP and RPLCD is. The issues more then represent that.

Experience is not as important as truth and obviously those with experience should know better. There are those who are more then just technicians who agree DLP is not a long term economical solution to HD TV at this time. Best Buy and CC would love us to think so as would Samsung and Sony.

When WESTINGHOUSE and Poloroid gets into the TV making market thats a good sign the parts are cheap enough for anyone to slap a name on a set and market it. Its cheap technology and they WANT us to believe a TV with a great picture on ONE input source is the way we should go.And they have a ton of gullable believers who do not challenge them and buy all they can.

Not now I say..Maybe in three years.

Besides CRT technology is not that complicated. TV techs are a dime a dozen and DLP techs have even less to know..other then replacing modules. Easy stuff.

Yawn
Unregistered guest
Whoopteedoo...

Username: Ff_mh

Post Number: 1
I have an HLN507WX that when turned on makes a noise that sounds like a bearing or fan. It stops or at least gets very quiet once it has been on for about 10 minutes. The noise seems to originate close to the bulb. Picture is fine. The cooling fan runs for 1 minute once the power is turned off and sounds normal. Any thoughts? Color wheel bearing??

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
Can I take this one fan-boys?

YEP Color Wheel.....Imagine that....the first TV with moving parts that can and do go bad after all these years of advancement in technology....

Jimbo1
Unregistered guest
Samsung DLP xx67 vs. Sony WEGA LCD Rear Projection:

Primary purpose: Watching sports

What do you guys suggest and why?

Dr Martin Von Nostrand
Unregistered guest
Samsung 46" DLP HDTV (HL-R4667W)

I recently provided this review on Circuit City's website:

I have been reviewing these Samsung DLP's for months. When I went to make the purchase there was a brand new Sony LCD (KDF-E50A10) sitting right beside the Samsung. At the time, I thought the Sony had the deeper/richer colors. Got the sony home and was quite disappointed. The overall color was WAY too dark. We tweeked the Sony to death and were just not happy with the picture. So, returned the Sony, went with the original choice, SAMSUNG! We got Directv HD hooked up last week and HD is VERY stunning. Non-hd is fair to good and varies from channel to channel. I am using a HDMI cable from the Directv receiver to the TV and optical audio out of the Directv receiver into my Yamaha AV receiver. The remote is very basic but simple and easy to use. The preset color choices are decent right out of the box (unlike the Sony). We personally have it set to the Dynamic color scheme, with only minor adjustments. The footprint of this set is awesome (as was the Sony). *MAKE SURE* you take the time with all the settings! There are specific settings for HD resolution (within the Directv menu) that need to be set right, or you will get flickering/pauses when trying to change channels. It all has to do with Native resolution. Do your homework and give this set a try! For the money, this DLP seems to be a great value. RIch colors, dark blacks, no noticeable blur with fast action scenes (like we noticed with the Sony). I prefer the Sony name (own a Sony 35' tube), but I think Samsung has had enough timeto perfect the DLP technology and they are getting it right!

Jimbo1
Unregistered guest
thx Dr. Martin

bong is a fraud
Unregistered guest
Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 12:41am

Quotes from the link that tom bong posted in the samsung problems thread:

"In the old days, color imaging was accomplished by tickling phosphors with an electron gun. Surprisingly, this system produced (and continues to produce) the most life-like images of all, which is why CRT front projectors are still preferred by a small number of high-end customers for home theater applications."

"That's because CRTs are capable of a wide grayscale and can show images with very low luminance levels (shadow detail) as well as very high luminance levels (highlights) in the same scene. More importantly, when a CRT is idling, it is essentially shut off. I mean REALLY shut off, as in black. Not a deep gray, as you'll see with LCD, DLP, and LCoS projectors and AM LCD and plasma monitors."

If you ask people who really know this technology, they will tell you that a properly calibrated CRT is the reference that all others are measured by.

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/shmontrast.htm

A 2003 article that groups DLP black levels in with LCD and Plasma isn't very credible. Everyone knows that DLP black levels are matching CRT black levels while LCD is still unable to.

Using wording from a 2003 article as your own is pretty lame. It's pure plagiarism. It's misleading and outdated.

This proves beyond doubt that tom bong is a fraud.

Frederic
Unregistered guest
I bought a DLP 5663 samsung with a DVD HD samusng 950 with the hdmi.
When i turn on my tv after turned on my Dvd player it takes 21 sec before the picture appears.
When i use Comp cables it takes 3 sec.
One day whenb i turn on my tv after turned on my dvd i saw white lines on the screen.
i had to cut off the dvd and the tv and turned on then it was correct.
Is there any problems with the samsung 950 connected in hdmi with a hlp series.
Tell me quick because i want to return it.

To Frederic
Unregistered guest
HDMI and DVI connections are quirkie. It's not a perfect technology just because it's digital. There have been many reported glitches using these digital connection methods. If you hooked up component video cables you wouldn't see glitches or worry about your equipment. There's nothing wrong with the 950. If you like HDMI you can put up with it. Glitches happen with all of them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 323
Digital is perfect...ones and zeros..Its the implimentation and programing that is imperfect and the myriald of manufacture claimed formats all in the name of profits. Sony..ATRAC? IPOD AAC......The only honest and great technology is by those who support open source where there can be made some profits...but not the propietary kind...See Linux in PCs, MP3 in music, GSM in wireless, MOzilla and the list goes on.....all making people money all constantly improving in flexibility and costs (no R&D recoupmemnt just piggyback advancement advancement.

Digital has nothing to do with it. Its the manufacturers trying to carve out "exclusive" niches. Sony is and has bee the worse with it's memory cards etc.

Unregistered guest
Hi all. I have a Samsung DLP 43 inch that I bought about a year ago. Great TV, but it is starting to piss me off. About two months ago, we would turn the tv on and there would be a loud hum (sort of like a fan hitting something as it rotated). I called best buy (I got the four year plan) and the guy just changed the bulp while my wife was home and I was at work. Since then, that loud humming noise is gone when we turn the set on, but we have a constant, faint, whinging/humming noise all the time. It is to the point where I can't remember if this was the way it always was! Please help. I can't deal with 3k for a tv that makes noise when you watch it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 326
Welcome to the world of DLP TV......Its probably one of the moving parts in your modern technological wonder called the color wheel which spins allowing reflected light to reach your screen,,,or it could be the fans that have to cool that other new technology they call......projector bulbs!!

To Thad
Unregistered guest
Thad,

Turn the set off and see if the same whine stops immediately or continues. If it stops it's the color wheel. If it continues it's a the fan.

Like you said, it's a great TV and you were smart to get the 4 year coverage.

People who don't own a DLP have no useful purpose on this thread. Ridicule and sarcasm only proves what kind of low life person he is.

Silver Member

Post Number: 339
People who are GLAD they don't own a DLP and advise others to steer clear of DLP have a great purpose. Save another hapless buyer grief and money.

That is a noble purpose. Anytime You HAVE to by a normally useless EW You are in trouble and the technology is not worth an addition 25%.

Imagine that..paying 25% MORE becasue a $2500 TV is "likely" to break down. Now there are some smart consumers. Ridicule and sarcasm is a lot less hurtful then realizing you spent $3000 on apile of expensive crap that when it does work only works it's best on ONE input source.

YEah...You were smart to buy the EW......LOL
You would have been smarter to save your money altogether for a decent CRT replacement.

Accurate Observer
Unregistered guest
You're a rude, insightful dumbass, bong!

Here you are ranting your crap in a thread asking for assistance.
Once again, you have proved my point.

Your idea of "helping others" is to ridicule and and "poke fun at" existing owners of LCD and DLP displays. You have self-proclaimed as much. Nothing gives a more negative impression than that.
Ridicule, sarcasm, and misinformation is your M.O.
While opinions are welcome, undesireable behavior will bring wrath.

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
>>>>Your idea of "helping others" is to ridicule and and "poke fun at" existing owners of LCD and DLP displays. You have self-proclaimed as much. Nothing gives a more negative impression than that.<<<

EXACTLY!! I do not care about "helping" existing owners. I do enjoy poking fun at them for buying in without reading about the issues and "poking and hoping" they somehow would escape the issues so they can play their Video Games games in a higher resolution or see the beads of sweat on their favorite American Idol. They have already bought into the mire. My message is for those on the fence.

Finally you have something right!

Thad
Unregistered guest
Tom,
I have read some of the past threads and you do sound like an idiot.

Having said that, I turned off my set and the noise went on for a few more seconds. So, it must be the fan. I will tell the service guy when he comes out. I wonder why he replaced the bulb last time. Is that a more simple fix? Maybe he didn't want to replace the fan because it was too much work.

Silver Member

Post Number: 347
>>>I have read some of the past threads and you do sound like an idiot. <<

Thank You. Enjoy your DLP and the very knowlegable techicians messing with your $2500 technological nightmare boat anchor.Samsung and all the fan-boys here still love you even though your TV is "pissing you off".

Thad
Unregistered guest
Do you just sit around all day reading these posts? Get a life, loser.

Maybe I could have you fix my set and give you someting to do. You probably would just tell me I am screwed and I should go buy a 700 lbs crt tv

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
No not all day. But I could! LOL. IF you have a DLP you are screwed for sure. That I will tell ya!

I enjoy reading the drivel of you guys and especially the pics of each others TV's like they are your children.....LOL Its not me that needs a life.

View thru a bong
Unregistered guest
bong has no business whatsoever on this thread

He's never owned a DLP or an LCD.
All he knows is what he reads.
Less than a hundred come to forums with defects.
The trouble-free ten's of thousands don't.
This is his knowledge base, nothing more.
Narrow view, narrow minded, idiotic nonsense blown out of proportion.
Rudeness, misinformation, and sarcastic ridicule are his tools to discourage those seeking information for a DLP or LCD purchase. He heavily prefers CRT.

I equate his message to a snowy grainy projected CRT image. You can tell what the storyline is, but there's something horribly wrong with the whole picture.

Neeper
Unregistered guest
hello,

I have a HLP4663W. My TV won't turn on. But if I disconnect the power for a while, plug it back in, it works again. The next day, I try to turn it on, and won't turn again.. Can anyone help? What could the problem be? Right now the "timer", "lamp" and "Standyby" light is all flashing in unison.

Any help is appreciated.

DLP Guy
Unregistered guest
Open the lamp hatch and take the two top mounted screws out of the lamp housing. Pull it out of it's socket. Replace it back in the socket. Power up.

If the problem isn't resolved the lamp needs to be replaced.

instarx
Unregistered guest
Tom Bong,
If I had known I would have to put up with such an obnoxious creep as you when trying to get information about my TV I would NOT have bought a DLP TV. You would have accomplished your goal not through logic but through stupidity.

It is extrememly irritating to have to filter through you insanity when trying to get information from the HELPFUL folks on this board.

My suggestion to all here is to simply stop replying to this moron. Ignore his posts. He feeds on it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 362
>>>>>>>>If I had known I would have to put up with such an obnoxious creep as you when trying to get information about my TVI would NOT have bought a DLP TV. You would have accomplished your goal not through logic but through stupidity. Either way.<<<<<
LOgic, stupidity...either way you would have saved yourself some major current and future grief. Sorry I got to you too late.

The " Helpful" folks will ultimately tell you to call for service and praise you for spending yet another 25% on a nornally worthless EW.

Many will say "I have the same problem"
Some will say "Good Luck"

Misery indeed loves company! Thats never been truer then on this and other DLP forums LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
bong has no business whatsoever on this thread

I have saved a few the misery many are suffering. That's worth the trouble.

He's never owned a DLP or an LCD.
Ah.... Duh! Sometimes you are very astute!

All he knows is what he reads.

I'm guessing you learned what little you may know by osmosis. Experience you say? I'll bet you have burned your hands at least three times learning fire is hot.

Less than a hundred come to forums with defects.

A small representation of much more I am sure who do not know the pleasure and useful research found on the net.

The trouble-free ten's of thousands don't.

Suposition at its best. LOL Show me a link.

This is his knowledge base, nothing more.

You could have fooled me. REally its nothing more then an urgent care center for the "hundreds" of "unlucky" DLP and RPLCD suckers. BTW not much knowledge here again poke and hope attempts to help the afflicted.

Narrow view, narrow minded, idiotic nonsense blown out of proportion.

Sync issues, latency issues, bulb life issues, screen defect issues, eye strain isues, tech knowledge issues, service issues, standard TV PQ issues, cable card issues, and more!!!......yeah you're right I'm making this stuff up and truly believe I would not have any of those issues if I were to get suckered into buying one. Sorry thats just too big a leap of faith.

Rudeness, misinformation, and sarcastic ridicule are his tools to discourage those seeking information for a DLP or LCD purchase.

I suppose you use a saw to hammer a nail too! I am trying to discourage them from buying before FIRST doing research and reading like I did. IF they come to the conclusion those issues are all lies or only affect the very few it will be their choice. I can only encourage them to read and know the issues others are having. IF they decide they will be exempt and come here whinning...well it's pretty much open season.

He heavily prefers CRT.
MAny you never cease to amaze me with your intuition!!!! LOL CRT is still the reference fo PQ and DLP is not a natural technological progression only in my opinion the modern day "LAser disc" Short lived and interum until the real advancement of CRT arrives. Plasma is close. I believe SED will be worth waiting for and all the fan-boys here will be fannig those flames in a year or two.

I equate his message to a snowy grainy projected CRT image. You can tell what the storyline is, but there's something horribly wrong with the whole picture.

You need a better signal, not a better TV!!

Bronze Member
Username: Dlp4me

Post Number: 31
What a crusade!
He's a by god crusader!
He's here to save us all from ourselves.
Oh...thank you, tom...thank you.
Your wisdom is inspiring.
We should all bow to your knowledge.
All those poor DLP and LCD owners are burning in hell because you came to our forum too late.
Where were you, oh savior?
Why did you wait until July of 2005 to bring us your message of truth.
Thou hast forsaken many, oh master.
Thou must be trying to make up for lost time.
Save as many as you can, tom, oh prophet of display technology.
They seek your devine wisdom.

What a freak'n joker!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
Lots of words, son. No point.

Thoe who really save will be those who avoid the technology. Not me. But then again you could not knw that blinded by your overly contrast bright comic book looking picture.....Opps light went out....Chaching!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Oh...there you are!

What is your need to appear in so many threads?
One not enough for you to get your view across?

This post doesn't make any sense.
I knew you were intellectualy impotent!

Where's your proof of an overall failed display technology, my man?
A few posts? That's it? That's all you got?
I'll show you negative posts from any existing display technology, smartass!

Why aren't you helping the guys on the CRT threads?
What...got no answers for those poor folks.
Get your jollies agitating, I see.
Looks like others don't care much for your bullsh!t.
Lots of words, little man! Hollow empty words!

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
Show me the ratio of issue posts with RP CRTs and Crts and even Plasma and LCD! You can't. There are way more issues with DLP then all of those. When you read of issues woth RP CRT you will find most of those are from owners who have had the TV for over 5 years!!! More like 7-10 years.

My proof is allover this board and AVS and others. All one has to do is read. The ratios of issues per technol;ogy speak for themselves.

CRT folks don't need my help. Their issues are mostly on OLD TVs. And yes I get lotsa Jollies watching the uninformed whine about bulb life, latency,audiosync eyestrain,,on and on and on and threaten with Class Action.

Go away rook. You are late to this party.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
I'm not going to do your research for you.
Yours is obviously shallow.
DLP's and LCD's are the hot market. Posts are disproportionate right now. Plenty of problems for all makes if you care to look. Your rush to judgement is apparent. Your zeal to bash is unfounded. You are not an owner of anything you bash.

Neeper
Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me what it means when all three lights, where the power button is flashing, means?

Standby, Lamp and timer?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
Ahhhh...the "Three Lights of Death"!

It means the lamp doesn't want to fire up.

You can sometimes coaxe a little more life out of it and stay in operation until the new lamp arrives. Try unplugging for a few minutes and see if it fires. If not, it usually goes through three start cycles before the 3 lights flash. During a start up cycle you can sometimes rap on the lamp hatch (back of cabinet) and shock the lamp into firing.
If it ever lights up, leave it on 24/7 until the replacement arrives. It won't hurt anything and you won't be down.

Silver Member

Post Number: 418
Ahhhh...the "joys of DLP" Blackout for a week.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Go to hell, tom!

Neeper
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your help DLP4me!

I tried taking the lamp out and putting it back in. Now only the lamp light flashes. So is the lamp dead for sure? Is there anyway i can tell if the ballast needs to be replaced? I don't have to get a service if I can do this myself. They want $350 to replace the lamp. even though the salesman tricked me into buying the frickin extended warranty. He conviently doesn't work there anymore. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM VISION in Calgary. Or any Visions for that matter. What a bunch of crooks!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 450
>>>>salesman tricked me into buying the frickin extended warranty<<<<

Now that's funny.
Why don't people take responsibility for their actions any more. HOw does someone get tricked if they do their research. Blind faith!!

And thats what it takes to buy one of these RP fixed pixel TVs after reading all the issues on these boards.

The ole..."Well its a small relative sampling" and "it wont happen to ne" blind faith is the mantra of all the posters crying "foul" and "help" on all these forums.

Do the research people and take responsibility. Don't buy basd on hype / Read read read.

Vision probably took advantage of ignorance and blinded by flashy picture quality and promise. Who can blame them? Salesmen do this everyday. Its a required job skill. Those who do it bst earn the most. There are mega corporations out the based on buyer ignorance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
Neeper,

You're welcome!

You're a bullshit drama queen, tom!

It's just a consumable lamp on a projection tv.
There is no real issue here.
Most warranties don't cover consumable lamps.
They will cover a ballast if that is the problem.

You can't go around comparing lamp projection tv's to CRT and saying they have a problem.
It's bullshit pure and simple.

You wouldn't say a front projection unit with 1200 hour lamp life has issues.
Owners of those buy lamps five times as often.

I was going to back off, but your bullshit can't stand unrebutted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 461
>>>You can't go around comparing lamp projection tv's to CRT and saying they have a problem.
It's bullshit pure and simple. <<<<

Oh yes I can, do, and will!!! They are not even close to CRTs in reliability, cost and overall PQ on all input sources.

Front projection is not the issue here.Another forum. I wonder why? I don't argue with those who buy $1000 watches either. Thats awhole other ballgame and forum.

You don't need to back off! Fight for your cause. YOur troops need you. Samsung needs you. Rebutt all you feel the need to...

You are not the first and will not be the last.
Bring all you can.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
You're not being honestly objective, tom.

It's apples and oranges.
People may want the larger highly detailed DLP consumable lamp projector displays rather than the same old.

Reliability comparisons are about as valid has quality picture comparisons.

THEY DON"T COMPARE!

Bob in Indio, CA
Unregistered guest
From the Palm Springs area - Samsung gave me 2 authorized dealers to call. The one in Hemet said they wouldn't and couldn't service Samsung. The other in Yucca Valley was called on 8/8/05 - worked me in on 9/2/05 for a service call - couldn't fix the dreaded 3 flashing light problem - and said they had to call Samsung technical for help and parts and they would have to come back. Still waiting and I am still in warranty with my Samsung 5065w1x/xaa DLP 50 inch - I now have a love hate relationship with Samsung.

Silver Member

Post Number: 465
But hey...You have really great blacks now BOB!!!

Been two weeks now!

Its ok. Samsung forgives you for the hate part.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Bob,

It's just a lamp. Seems like they could send you one. You shouldn't have a love/hate attitude over a lamp. You have a consumable lamp projector display. Having a spare lamp on hand is what most owners do. I have a spare even though mine is under warranty. I don't want any downtime.

Silver Member

Post Number: 466
YEah BOB...$2500 for the TV
$400 for the EW.(have to get one on this crap)
$250 for a SPARE LAMP.

Wow could have bought a "real" flat panel display for all that ooutlay.

If people only bought cars like that ($25000 for the car, $4000 for the EW, $2500 for a spare motor.......and a new one every year or two.....YEah all auto stock stock would be over $100 a share LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
More lies from the bong man.
Your pricing is bullshit, just like you!

Silver Member

Post Number: 473
OK Lets try $2000 for the TV
$200 for the EW
$200 for the spare lamp

New Car $20,000
Extended War $2000 EW
Spare motor $2000

Yeah that makes it much clearer and certainly not the rip off I though it was. Thanks for the clarification....

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
You intellectualy impotent types are fun to mess with, tom! Since you seem to keep repeating yourself to stay in the forefront of the forum, let me assure you that I can do the same.

There are over 5 million DLP's in service from over 75 makers, and you group a few glitches from two forums, form a shallow, narrow minded opinion, and crusade to pan a truly wonderful display revolution. You haven't even owned one yet, but they're all chopped liver to you. Your effort to compare CRT to lamp projector technology and then claim that consumable lamps in DLP's are proof of a flawed technology is absurd. I see where you whine about millions of flipping mirrors, but I can't find a failed DMD chip thread. You cry about spinning color wheels, but I can't find the failed color wheel thread, either. I see where you have grouped Panasonic LCD lamp failures and Sony LCD display failures in with DLP to form your opinions. Honest objectivity is absent from your determinations. You may have convinced yourself that DLP is not one of the highest quality displays in the history of display technology and that's fine. Preaching your non-objective bulshit opinions on others to the extent that you have (455 posts since July) is a whole new twisted motivation that many folks will find disturbing. Perhaps you should consult a professional shrink about this bizzar obsession of yours.

I'm all for anyone choosing the product they want. Makes no difference to me. Until D-ILA LCOS is a faster refreshing proven technology, I'm of the opinion that the DLP display is the absolute best available on the market today. It's a brilliant, sharp, clear, accurately colorful experience with the right signal put to it. It can't even be matched by anything out there in my opinion.

DLP is the superior and preferred projection technology of professional Cinemas. They have billions invested to display content the way that producers and directors intended. With 35 trillion colors (8 times more than film) and no fade or flutter it has surpassed film in reproductive display quality. Having a mini version of that in my home has been an incredible pleasure for me. I highly reccommend that anyone interested in having the very best in home theater consider a beautiful DLP display of their choice. Compliment that with a quality surround sound system and pop some corn. Reasonably priced home theater doesn't get any better!

Silver Member

Post Number: 481
Well emptied another brain! This one took alot less time to run out of words and go into cut and paste mode then the last one. Falling on one's sword is an ugly thing

Yet he has been fed and sheltered by Texas Instumenst who designed and MAKE the DMD chip that is the heart of the spinning wheel technology!! Gi figure. and I thought he was just your average fan boy.....

Bye bye credibility..........AS a non owner and not in the business Id say my weak argument against your cream in your jeans technology holds more water.. ya think?

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
LOL

Alberta
Unregistered guest
Help! Just bought the Samsung 50" DLP. Looks great BUT in the bottom left corner of the screen, there's a black "triangle" about 2" in size. It almost looks like there could be something in front of the the bulb casting a shadow. This is my first DLP so I have NO idea what it might be. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us