Will digital cable improve my reception?

LauraHLR4266W
Unregistered guest
My setup: I have a Samsung HLR4266W DLP HDTV. I have only the basic cable (Comcast), Motorola HD box on its way. I live in Dallas. My reception sucks (local channels and cable channels like E, Oxygen, VH1). HD channels look nice, but do I need to switch to digital cable to get a decent picture on non-HD channels? My Sanyo 19-inch (tube TV) looked better than this.....help.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
NO.

LauraHLR4266W
Unregistered guest
Is this a problem with all HDTV's or just the Samsung? Thinking of returning. I heard that I can improve reception by splitting the cable...How do I do this? Is this something the cable company can help me out with?

grfunk
Unregistered guest
Unless the signal is too strong into your home, splitting the cable will not help. You will reduce your signal strength by using a splitter. The only thing digital about digital cable is the box. The SD signals are still NTSC Standard Def signals. I don't want to go into all the tech stuff about all those channels. That would get long and hard to explain. I had the 46" Samsung was selling last year at this time and I took it back and got a Sony 42" LCD. I thought the Sony did a better job with SD signals. Plasmas seem to do a better job with SD but it really depends on the maker of the set. I thing DLP looks good but I think Samsung wasn't up to snuff. They look good on HD but their SD was waxy looking. Bottom line, HD looks great on these sets but regular signals just aren't going to be as good as you really expected. Basic cable will look better plugged straight into the antenna RF input. I had "DIGITAL" cable for awhile and found that to be true even using the component outputs of the box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us