HDTV Compatibility with DVD's

Username: Antoinette

DublinIreland

Post Number: 1
The question of whether HD or Blueray is confusing me, like everyone else. Im hearing worrying noises on the grapevine about compatibility issues with present day DVD's. I've got a huge DVD collection. Will it be compatible with HD, if I choose this route?

Tanner d
Unregistered guest
I believe that I heard a couple of years ago that a "super" DVD was in the works this would include better video compression at higher resolutions in addition to the more channels of the is it 7.1 or 8.1 sound channels.

I would first get rid of any DVD in the standard formant as opposed to widescreen, so it will look right on you HD wide screen. as long as it is 1080i compatible you will be able to watch it on your HD.

Remember CD's were around for like 6-8 yrs. before the were main stream. on the opposite side consumers won't be jumping to quick to a new video media because of their investments for the same reason as you :-)

Trade your standard for Widescreen DVD's

gamedaily.com
Unregistered guest
While the Sony-led Blu-ray camp and the Toshiba-led HD DVD group battle it out to determine which format will become the successor to traditional DVD, another format is being developed that could quickly make both HD DVD and Blu-ray seem obsolete.

Incredible storage capacity
Called Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD), this emerging technology has been in the works (at least conceptually) for about 20 years. It wasn't until the beginning of the 21st century that real advances were made, however. Holographic disk storage allows for much higher density than DVDs by storing data as light patterns throughout the volume of the polymer disc, or three dimensions. HVD can apparently store up to 60 times the data of a regular DVD and it can read and write data 10 times faster as well.

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 276
HVD! Great ... now what about price?

There is one thing that makes the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD formats viable and that's due to the simplicity of the reflective optical disc. It's basic concept has not changed since its first release to consumers in 1978 for the laser videodisc.

The consumer may elect to stick with formats using conventional reflective optics due to price. - Reinhart

Pioneer
Unregistered guest
"The question of whether HD or Blueray is confusing me, like everyone else. Im hearing worrying noises on the grapevine about compatibility issues with present day DVD's. I've got a huge DVD collection. Will it be compatible with HD, if I choose this route?"
Yes. Present day dvds will be compatible with both players. The worrying noises you hear are possible incompatibility issues with legacy component hi def displays. Hollywood is trying to mandate only digital connections passing the hi def output from the new players.
On a side note, consumer confusion will be high as the two new hi def formats are incompatible. Which player to choose?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us