1080p ???

Username: Psilka

Anaheim, Ca Usa

Post Number: 1
I've been holding off purchasing HDTV because I am confused and bewildered-I thought I read here that 1080p would be the ideal format but the technology doesnt exist-I have just seen at least 2 mnf advertising new release of 1080p 42" LCD sets,one of these being Sony-could someone please elaborate-Thanks,Joe

fx
Unregistered guest
Elaborate on what exactly Joseph?

There will be no OTA, or Sat or Cable transmission of 1080P x24fps commercial programming in the next 20 years (or longer). There will probably never be in your lifetime similar 1080P x 60fps commercial programming available in the above delivery methods either.

You will likely get 1080P x 24fps in 2006 from either BluRay or HDDVD's.

Purchasing a 1080P display is up to whether you think the displayed upconverted picture is noticeably better for the extra cost compared to either a 720p or 1080i display.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member
Username: D_singh

Post Number: 31
fx: really? 20 years? Wow, good thing I didn't buy a 1080p native projector..

fx
Unregistered guest
D. Singh,

Considering it is only an estimate but all the major studios have only recently added compatible HD eqipment to their primetime studio production. The vast majority of their away from studio programming (including major sporting events) is still in SD. Although many 1080p camers are now in use they still downconvert for editing and transmission due to the enormous expense involved in buying all new state of the art equipment both for their remote HD trucks (which are all rented, not owned), their editing facilities and their indoor studio equipment.

Consider that less than 10% of their viewing audience even owns an HDTV and you see thier is no rush to upgrade their cumulatively multi-billion dollar investments for such a low return for the distant future. Also of those 10% with an HDTV how many currently own or in the next 10 years will own a 1080P capable display?

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member
Username: Nr4p

Post Number: 12
What a 1080p TV does for you is totally eliminate the screen door effect. The pixels are so tiny that even when you are within a few feet of the TV, you can't make them out. A much, much smoother picture.

On a 720p set, you can see the pixels aka screen door effect up close.

Consider a given screen of say 50".
1920x1080= 2,073,600 pixels
1280x720 = 921,600 pixels

or the Sony line
1366x768 = 1,049,088 pixels

The smaller the pixel, the smoother the picture. Think of 1mp or 2mp or 5mp or 7mp cameras. Similar principle. As the picture gets larger, you need more pixels for a fine appearance.

Now there is one downside. When you get to the 1080p native resolution and have a really lousy SD picture, it can look bad.

Ninjamurf
Unregistered guest
"Consider that less than 10% of their viewing audience even owns an HDTV and you see thier is no rush to upgrade their cumulatively multi-billion dollar investments for such a low return for the distant future. Also of those 10% with an HDTV how many currently own or in the next 10 years will own a 1080P capable display?"

Current numbers are a bit higher fx. About 25% of the US currently HAVE an HDTV and they accounted for 20% of all TV sales in 2004. Those numbers are expected to rise dramatically in the next 5 years with expectations of 70% of TV sales by 2010 with over 60% of households owning an HDTV by then as well. I'm hoping that these increases will "speed" the broadcast companies along. One of the factors that was limiting HDTV growth in the US was the lack of content. Now that we are seeing more and more programs in HD, people are buying more and more HDTV's. Hopefully this snowball will continue to grow as it rolls down the mountain!

http://news.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/new/166310.html

fx
Unregistered guest
About 25% of the US currently HAVE an HDTV

Absolutely false information. 25% of US households own a TV with a digital tuner, less than 10% of US households own an HDTV, even les than that actually receive an HD signal. Many people think they have an HDTV because at the start of their favorite program it says "Being Broadcast in High Definition Where Available".

xvxvxvx

Username: Ninjamurf

San Diego , Ca USA

Post Number: 4
Got the 25% number from a blurb on DisplaySearch and one of their conferences.

http://www.displaysearch.com/press/pr.html?id=362

It says the the US had the highest market penetration of HDTV sets at 26%. It never states that this was an installed base or merely units sold in Q1 '05 so you're probably right. Most numbers I've found, however, agree that ~2/3rds of the installed base will be HDTV by 2010.

Another short article here as well on 1080p

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2005/09/the_health_of_h.php

Some say 1080p is a waste of time. Others say that upconverting 1080i will show some benefit in the future. Who knows? As the price point between 1080p and 720p/1080i sets come together, however, it couldn't hurt, could it? Same price with the possibility of future enhancements?

Username: Ninjamurf

San Diego , Ca USA

Post Number: 5
Some more random numbers on market penetration and growth...

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=574257

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us