Computer video out to older TV?

Username: Shadow

Post Number: 2
I posted this to the wrong thread, so here it is again:

I have a quick question - and YES, I've read most of the above posts, but I'll ask anyway, since my equipment is slightly different. I have a GeForce FX 5200 graphics card for my PC that has an S-Video out, in my office. I am trying to connect this to my television, which is a old Samsung with only a set of RCA inputs, located 25 feet away. I've checked online, and seen adaptors which convert S-Video to RCA video (yellow), for about $14.00 or so, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007KJUK

What I would LIKE to do is just use the video card from the PC to connect to my TV and watch videos (DiVX or XVid formats) - the desktop text, icons, etc, I could care less about, since I won't be using it to browse the net or any other purpose - this is only for video watching from my couch instead of having to sit in front of the PC.

I was going to buy an S-video to RCA adapter (like above), a minijack to RCA stereo adapter (to connect via the soundcard minijack output on the PC to the receiver) and then a 25 foot RCA cable to connect stereo to my receiver (which does NOT do S-Video input - only RCA, by the way). In essence, I'd take both, video and audio from the PC to the TV and Receiver, respectively.

What I want to know, before I go out and blow $40 or so for this gear, is: will this type of connection be good enough to watch videos, or will I be sorely dissapointed here? I'm NOT expecting DVD-quality video (not even close), but perhaps comparable to a VHS cassette. What I DON'T want is ridiculously grainy video and blurry picture (like when you're watching a DVD with scratches and smudges on it and the screen scrambles) - just something that's somewhat clear.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us