Questions about 16:9

Username: Hailgalvatron

Post Number: 7
I am confused . I have a 27" sony Trinatron WEGA Tv and it has a 16:9 option. The DVD player and Playstation 2 also have this . Would I be making the picture any better by enabling this option? And would I also have to turn the option on the PS2 and DVD player to get a better effect also? the only thing i noticed a difference in was the black bars on top and bottom.

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 33
"I am confused . I have a 27" sony Trinatron WEGA Tv and it has a 16:9 option. The DVD player and Playstation 2 also have this . Would I be making the picture any better by enabling this option? And would I also have to turn the option on the PS2 and DVD player to get a better effect also? the only thing i noticed a difference in was the black bars on top and bottom."

The 16:9 enhanced mode is for video that is anamorphically enhancned, which would include some games for the PS-2, a lot of games for the X-Box, and the majority of widescreen DVDs available.

What happens is that you have a video signal that appears vertically stretched when displayed on a normal 4:3 screen. The 16:9 mode compresses the scanlines closer together to correct the vertical stretch and make the picture appear 20%-30% sharper than normal, almost taking on the quality of progressive scan (but it's still interlaced). Finer details, including small text on credit scrolls at the end of movies, will be readily apparent.

For anamorphically enhanced DVDs, you must make sure that the player's 16:9 downconversion is set off to display the anamorphic image without using the player's onboard correction. Then, you use the TV's 16:9 mode to correct for the stretch which also allows you to enjoy a higher quality picture.

Just make sure you're either using s-video or component video connections as the anamorphic mode is not available on the composite connection on your Sony television.

This will take your DVD viewing to new levels. But, you will get black bars on the top and bottom. However, remember that you are seeing the film as designed as opposed to getting too much visual info on the top and bottom with films done in matted widescreen (a few Spielberg films like "Jurassic Park," pretty much any James Cameron film, "A Fish Called Wanda," etc.) or losing half the frame with films done in scope anamorphic (any of the Star Wars films, almost all Star Trek films, just about any John Carpenter film, pretty much all the biblical epics from the 50s and 60s, etc).

Although, not all films in widescreen on DVD are anamorphically enhanced, so you wouldn't be able to use the 16:9 mode on the TV set and have the image look better. Some DVDs that are like this include "The Abyss," the older MGM/UA DVD release of "Wargames," and any of the earlier widescreen DVD releases. - Reinhart

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
thanks for your answers... it helped .... But should i just enable teh 16:9 mode option on the t.v and not on the PS2 or DVD player ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
like for example, i just bought soul calibur III and it has a progressive scan mode, so I guess I would use the 16:9 mode on the t.v for a really nice picture?

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 55
"thanks for your answers... it helped .... But should i just enable teh 16:9 mode option on the t.v and not on the PS2 or DVD player ?"

Enable 16:9 on both.

"like for example, i just bought soul calibur III and it has a progressive scan mode, so I guess I would use the 16:9 mode on the t.v for a really nice picture?"

It depends. If your TV set is not progressive scan, check to see if you can get the game to run in 16:9 without progressive scanning. - Reinhart
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us