Best dlp projector for dvd movies for $1200

Dustin S.
Unregistered guest
I am looking for the best dlp projector for around $1200
I am new to looking at projectors for my home theatre. I am looking for some experienced opinions. Also are dlp projectors better than lcd or is this so close it is mainly opinion based.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 61
It depends on what you like, LCD in the same price range are going to not have as good black levels, and look somewhat washed out. In that range the LCD will have higher resolution, but worse contrast. So the lcd will have higher resolution and DLP will look better on everything other than resolution.

Check out the Infocus 4805

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 159
You also need to figure out if you are susceptible to DLP rainbows - I know I am and it makes it annoying to watch DLP projectors. Some of the newer LCD models do a great job with contrast and black levels (although the best still can't match a good DLP for this). Getting the appropriate type/color screen for your projector can help the performance as well. You also don't say anything about your room... do you have complete control over the lighting in the room? How big a screen are you looking for? Are you going to ceiling-mount the projector or place it on something?

I evaluated about 10 projectors (fortunately I'm from a large metro area) before deciding on the Hitachi PJ-TX100. To me, it had the best picture of any PJ I saw under $5k, and I was able to buy one new for $1300.

Dustin S.
Unregistered guest
I have total control over the lighting in the room no windows down in the basement. As far as mounting it it will probably be set on something not sure yet I am in the process of moving so not quite certain how i will mount it. As far as the price range in this range you are saying dlp is better than lcd as long as you are not victim of seeing the rainbow effect. What about the pixel situation on lcd as well. Also what about the panny 700v or the Sanyo z3.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 160
I did not get to try the Sanyo, which is a shame... but I did see the Panasonic and found it to be pretty dull and lifeless compared to the Hitachi and Sony LCDs. As far as the screen door effect goes, on a 106" diagonal screen it's only noticeable within about 4' of the screen... at a 14' viewing distance it's not even there. I think you'll find that to be the case with any of the newer LCDs.

I should tell you that when it's possible to get a 3-wheel 1080p DLP projector under $5k, I will upgrade to one of them. But I found the Hitachi to be the best bet in the price range I was looking at 2 months ago. When I factored in the picture quality with the native 1280x720 resolution and the price, it was a winning combination for me.

Dustin S.
Unregistered guest
any opinions welcome on how Infocus 4805 compares to the related projectors talked about above. Say given I am not susceptible to the rainbow effect. I dont know whether i am or not but we will say for now that im am not. What is the best dlp projector in the $price range talked about above as well.

Chad H.
Unregistered guest
The 4805 is certainly a good choice. It maintains a good black level with high contrast. I would also say this for all projectors in this price range, keep your screen under 100" better yet 90". The pixelation can become very noticable if you are too big and sitting too close. Have you looked at the Optoma H31? The H31 and 4805 are probably the 2 highest recomended projectors in this price range. Check out www.digitalhsolutions.com/Reference_Center.html they've got some articles that may be helpful. Good Luck!

Dustin S.
Unregistered guest
I have a possible oportunity to get a Runco cl-510 dlp projector for 1350. It was a demo in Mint condition. Any opinions would be appreciated
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us