What happened to my 6.1?

Bronze Member
Username: Mark_mcintosh

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 27
I have had HD cable for almost a year. The cable I used had a DVI connection to the cable box and an HDMI connection to the TV. I decided to get a DVR cable box. When installing it, the only cable box connection is HDMI to the HDMI in my TV. I bought an adapter to make my DVI connector an HDMI connector and thought I had it licked. BUT, now I cannot get my receiver to play the 6.1 Matrix or Enhanced signal if the TV is on the input using the HDMI cable (Input #7). If I use a different input (Input #6) with the RBG coaxial cables, the 6.1 signal comes through fine, but as soon as I go back to the input using the HDMI cable(#7), the 6.1 signal goes away. Why should the video cable and input affect the signal going to my receiver? Is there a solution to this other than giving up on the HDMI cable and using coaxial cables? I have a Yamaha RX-850 receiver and a Sony Wega 50" TV. I am using a coaxial cable for my audio, just like before. Thanks for responding because I am absolutely stumped.

fx
Unregistered guest
"Is there a solution to this other than giving up on the HDMI cable and using coaxial cables?
No

FWIW it was simulated 6.1 in the first place, cable only transmits a max of DD5.1 sound.

Since you really want to know why as well: Your cable box disables all other digital outputs when an HDMI cable is connected. Your display would do the same. No, it doesn't matter that your are using an HDMI to DVI connector.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us