Best Budget DVD Player

AdamVerducci
Unregistered guest
I know my fair share about audio, but know little about video. Can anyone share their thoughts on DVD players? What's the best one under $200? The only thing I know I need is progressive scan. Is there anything else I need in the way of decoding, outputs or format compatiblity? Thanks.

3m3rson
Unregistered guest
I like the Philips players best for DVD-Video on a budget. Not necessarily the best for CD, unless you go with one of their higher end models. Panasonic is great too. All the new 2004 models are coming out, so if you wait a bit and read some reviews, you're bound to gather enough info to help make your decision.

AdamVerducci
Unregistered guest
Wow, who'd have thunk it? Panasonic the best in the biz? I've checked 'em out, and they have gotten great reviews. Does anyone own one of the sub-$200 Panasonics? Also, when are the new models coming out? Is there a place I can find out about the new models? If they are not adding anything substantial, I'll buy the older model on discount when the new ones come out...

AdamVerducci
Unregistered guest
Just found about the new Panasonics. The top model has HDMI. Should I shack out the extra $100 for it or is it not worth it. Ideally, I'd like this player to last a while. I don't have an HDTV yet, but I'm sure I'll have one within the next year or two. So, HDMI - yay or nay?

Username: Ztkavc

Post Number: 3
IF you want decent music too, then you should consider Pioneer DV-563 or DV-565 player. It is multi player playing DVD-Audio and SACD.
Of course it has support for all other common formats (DVD, SVCD, CD, MP3,...)

MARK AUDIO4KICKS
Unregistered guest
i purchased a samsung a few months back, cost me $56 dollars, i love it, it has great sound as well as a fantastic picture, a few years back i bought a $$$ unit made by sony, the samsung is a better unit, hard to believe but true, the sony didn`t even last 4 years, it stopped playing dvd`s, and it was never abused, think about it why spend big bucks on a dvd player, if it breaks down your stuck, you buy something inexpensive it breaks down you throw it out and get a new one, in other words theres no need to spend over $100 dollars on a dvd player when you can get so many different brands for under that, right now im listening to beethoven, using the samsung threw a bbe 264 mini maximizer into a onkyo a/v reciever, with speakers that just arrived yesterday, athena`s and i can tell you this, i like what im hearing.

HawkEye
Unregistered guest
Don't buy a Panasonic - unless you want to buy another one in 12-24 months. Everyone I know who has had one (INCLUDING myself) has had it just stop working after 12-24 months of use. Beware!! It's cheap for a reason.

Bronze Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 43
"other words theres no need to spend over $100 dollars on a dvd player when you can get so many different brands for under that"

Huh?...Just go on believing that if it makes you happy.
---
Actually, for about 350.00 you can get the Philips 963SA which is getting great word of mouth reviews among audiophiles. It can be modded for another couple hundred to sound phenomenal

Bronze Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 22
Try to find one with a direct drive spindle motor, if that's still possible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us