Denon DVD-900 picture problem

Anonymous
I am experiencing some difficulty playing certain DVDs on my Denon DVD-900. Because I have an older model TV, I have my system hooked up so that the DVD-900 is connected to my VCR and the VCR is then connected to the TV, i.e. the DVD player is not directly connected to the TV. The problem I am having is that with some DVDs (not all), the picture fades out to near complete darkness, then slowly comes back to normal, then fades out again. This happens continuously throughout the playing of the DVD. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the DVD player is not directly hooked up to the TV? Please advise. Thank you.

Anonymous
You might try getting one of those RF modulator kits to hook your TV directly to your DVD player.
You can buy them for around $20 from Best Buy.
My son has an older (1984 Sony) and has his Philips DVD player hooked up this way & it works fine.

Jon
The problem you are having is with the copyright protection software encryted on dvd's by movie studios to prevent perfect vhs copy's from being made and pirated. The software causes the problem you are having because you have your dvd player connected to your vcr.

Anonymous
Yep it's call MacroMedia protection. You can build a unit, if you are into electronics, to decode the MM signals. Also try and send through a very old VCR, some of them filer the MM encoding!

I plan to buy DVD, and I have in mind one of the following:
1. DENON 900
2. TOSHIBA SD 220, 3. TOSHIBA SD 1850
4 TOSHIBA SD 2550, 5. MARANTZ DV 4200

I would apreciate any comments regarding quality and functionality. Neglect price factor.

mike
D. Golen,

After much deliberation between the dvd-900 and similar toshibas like the sd-4800 I decided on the Denon. It came ahead in both Video and Sound quality. The DCDI chip on the Denon really makes a big diff on a quality TV. Dont bother with the Marantz, all Ive heard is complaints about them (grainy picture, disc reading problems, etc)

KA9FOX
Just a thank you to "Jon" -- I hooked up my first DVD player tonight and had the video fading in and out when viewing a DVD. He was right... it was the VCR's copy protection thing. When I hooked up the DVD directly to the TV the problem went away. Bummer, because we have everything funneled to our VCR. Argh.

Anonymous
I have had my Denon DVD-900 for about 6 months. I recently tried to watch a DVD when I encountered a problem. I insert the DVD into the tray and close the tray. The DVD begins loading, but keeps loading for a few minutes until it gives me an error message, and tells me to eject the disc.

The error says that the "playback feature on the disc may not be available".

Now it does this with all my DVDs--in other words I can't watch anything. The same thing happens when I tried an audio CD as a test.

The problem originated when the DVD paused during play. I think it was stuck on a scratch or something (DVD was a rental).

I am going to take it in for warranty, but has anyone had a similar problem, or know of a similar problem?

Thanks

Anonymous
Hello,

I am having the same exact error on my DVM-1805 with "playback feature on the disc may not be available". I'm curious, how did you fix this problem on your DVD player?

Thanks!

I just started getting the same message on my Hitachi DVD player. I can not play any movies. Any ideas?
Thanks

INSTALLGUY
"BAD OPTICAL PICKUP" COST MORE TO REPAIR THAN A NEW DVD PLAYER DENON DVD IS A GOOD BRAND, BUT SH*T CAN THE HITACHI ITS A CHEAP DVD ROM IN A BLACK BOX

Jason
Pleasant day to everyone i have a brand new Emerson DVD player and I am getting this error with it "playback feature may not be available on this Disc", I will be greatfull for any advice

Thank You

Anonymous
Anyone knows the answer to the "playback feature may not be available on this Disc" error message? I got it from my Emerson EWD2203 DVD/VCR combo.

MH
Unregistered guest
We have our DVD player conected through a tv with a built in VCR. Almost all DVD's we watch fade in and out. Any ideas on how th fix this problem?

Dvdbuyer
Unregistered guest
I bought a Denon DVD-900 last year and encountered the same disk error message and not being able to identify the disk. So I took it back under warranty and the stereo store gave me a brand new Denon DVD-910. Thank you Denon and the guys at the stereo place I bought it from for a good warranty experience. BTW- the DVD-910 has great picture.

what did i expect from walmart?
Unregistered guest
My Emerson dvd/vcr combo player worked fine the first two weeks i had it and now it tells me that the playback feature may not be available on this disc. it says that with every disc. and every disc works in every other dvd player they're tried in. this happens with audio cds as well. this happens if you put a disc in upside down. this happens all the time...except occasionally......it'll decide to work. it will work once for every forty times you try to get it to work. yeah, i really like movies. the vcr works fine......rip-off.

Anonymous

is there anything a person can do to fix the following:

"The DVD begins loading, but keeps loading for a few minutes until it gives me an error message, and tells me to eject the disc.

The error says that the "playback feature on the disc may not be available"." (excerpted from a previous post)

oddly enough, it plays CDs just fine, but who wants to listen to a cd through the telly?

this seems to be a common error and i'd like to understand what is involved. it happened to me on a new hitachi DVD/VCR combo...worked fine for about 12 plays over the course of about three weeks, and then one day *poof*.

(and please do not reply again that hitachi is sh*t, i am not asking about hitachi, i am asking about what seems to be a common problem on several brands.)

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 232
It seems like the player isn't able to figure out the format of the disc that's loaded. As you know, most players can play multiple formats (redbook CD, DVD, CR-R, mp3, etc.) Try cleaning the player per the manual.

After cleaning, if the player still isn't able to read a format claimed to be playable in the manual, then it's obviously not operating correctly. Yes, it's a common problem and not specific to Hitachi.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us