Archive through October 04, 2005

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Frank,

I believe the HDMI port is reset from the service menu. When my light engine was replaced, the HDMI port did not work after we put the set back together. The tech immediately went to the service menu and reset it and it worked. He said when everything is disconnected, an error is produced that affects the HDMI port. I don't know if that's the problem with yours but it's worth checking since there were some problems with early HDMI ports.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
bong,

645 posts since July! Do you work!? No, I didn't think so.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 647
>>>>since there were some problems with early HDMI ports.<<<<

No. Say it aint so. Problems? These lamp base Tvs NEVER have problems LOL.

People need to read this stuff and save themselves a lot of grief and money,,,,,,

$1200 for a JVC light engine......I'll bet more ligght engines are replaced in these lamp based TVs then (less expensive) RGB CRT guns ever were in the first 2 years of owner ship. Any takers?

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Yeah, I will take that bet but I will enhance it with how much it has cost the owners. JVC owners $0. CRT owners $$$$$. How do I collect my winnings?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 860
My parents 10 year old RP CRT started getting dim. After a coolant change, and several other "tuneup" things the tech could do to the TV guess what? It was still dim and nearly unwatchable. You can't bring dim CRTs back to life. For the $400 the tech charges to work on RP CRT sets, I could get 2 new lamps and be set for the next 5-7 years.

After 3 1/2 years (8500+ hours of use) my Aunt's 60" Hitachi LCD started to dim. The lamp was replaced and guess what we saw? A picture that looked as bright and sharp as day one. It was like having a brand new TV. What would you prefer, a TV that you can turn into a fish tank after it dims, or one that will look new again after with a new lamp.
The LCD set will fade over time too due to the fact it also uses phosphorus, but the JVC won't. It uses no organic material, so there is nothing to decay (dim) like phosphus will.

Silver Member

Post Number: 652
I doubt you will keep your JVC for 10 years. Fanatics don't do that. they have to be on the "bleeding edge".

JVC is replacing color engines free? After a year?
TVSHOPPER you have to be dreaming. I have not spent a dime on 4 CRTs I have owned for over 7 years inclusing a 50" Toshiba RP and a 36" Sanyo. Never been down an hour waiting for a part. Never had to call for service. Never has to buy an EW.

Lynch, your wacky and crazy Aunt is the exception. Obviously not the rule. I don't see many posting how surprised they are at how long their lamps are lasting on these boards. LOL Au contraire'

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 861
Tom, I now have a whole new respect for your expertize. Why didn't you say you had a 36" Sanyo. Now THAT is some high quality TV viewing. You gotta love those 1/2" wide scan lines and dim fuzzy picture. Why would you go though 4 CRT sets when 1 should last you forever?

And to answer your question, yes, 10 years from now I most likely WILL have my JVC. If I was a "fanatic" I would have jumped onto 1080p by now.

I know a large number of people that have had Samsung DLPs for several years with no issues. You can't judge the performance history based on the 1% of owners that would post in a forum. I don't care for DLP, but I respect their choice and they are very happy with what they have. I've even recommend a CRT set to a friend, not because of what "Tom Bong" said, but because it fit his budget and needs to best.
I guess it is hard for you to respect others when you don't respect yourself. Poor guy, go get a puppy so you pretend something values your opinions.

Bronze Member
Username: Suzukiman

Yorkville, IL Us

Post Number: 11
WeAreNotAlone69, Mr. Lynch, tvshopper, and to all not clogging this thread full of worthless information...lol

All he said was, it was probably JVC that forgot to reset the HDMI after working on the tv via factory- if they took the back off then it triggers a sensor light that freezes the HDMI said it was a "copy protection thing." That's all I have on this, but will get more details when he is installing the new parts. I have never removed the back. Also I will ask about a manual static convergence adjustment and take pictures of the parts sent to my home. I will open the box and take close ups of the new light engine, and solder ballast part, then re-box it. When he comes out to install I'll take pictures of the old light engine, then tell him it's just for my records. He won't care, he seems pretty cool.

What I do plan to try though.. is see what it would take for him to loose the existing light engine- if you know what I mean. It would be cool to have a spare to play with..lol

Well I have some reading to do...gonna try and reset this HDMI...All I have right now is the NG-code for HDMI.

Bronze Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 57
Frank,

Just for the heck of it, see if you can get him BEFORE he comes to check on TSB's for the unit, asking him to print you out a copy :-) (or make a electronic "copy".)

See also if he can also access online say a schematic of the set and or any other documentation. Most of it should be in a pdf format and you may be able to get him to make you a copy.

On those pictures, (and hopefully some TSB's, etc) if you need a place to upload them http://www.megaupload.com/ works pretty good. You first give a meaningful file NAME to the file (Right hand side, center box) ... Then you browse to the file (Upper right hand side), Select file, Upload, and then it will give you a link you can post, e-mail, etc.

One last idea, since it may be "better" to talk with the tech in person about the TSB's, the above... You may want to ask him about the above in person, I've found that you usually have better "luck" asking such requests in person.... Give him a couple of blank Cd to burn the documents on, Maybe offering to buy his lunch, buy him a couple of beers at at Hooters, etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 654
Nice try Lynch. Not gonna work. I have been ridiculed by smarter more imginative fanatics then yourself.

The Sanyo is fine, The 4 CRTs did not replace each other. They are still being used. I am not a TV snob Lynch like yourself.

I don't watch Tv with a magnifying glass searching for the slighest imperfection, the perfect calibralabreted red, the stuck pixel, the hairline convergance issue like the fanatics here therefore I can be satisfied with the content more then the tiniest display Minutiae of that content likw an average Joe.

If one percent having issues with lamp based TVs are reporting here then I would say less then .25% reporting here are having issues with CRTs and those are on 7-10 year old sets not 2 year or less new ones. And even less on Plasma and real LCD.On this forum and other rearding this subject, the ratio of issues in the rp lamp based sets are far higher then any other TV technology. So try your "scientific rationalization" on someone who does not know better. I'll be there to correct you. Count on it.

BTW I respect myself just fine. You need not practice without a license you have no idea what I have accomplished or not.

I respect those who are lied to about this technology and mislead by fanatics to think all is well while they wait in the dark for a $300 lamp for a week or three more then myself though.

It is not you Im speaking to. My message and opinion is not for you fan boys
You're already gone rationalizing your way into your own brand of HD bliss.

My message is for those who ae not aware of the downside. Of course for you there is no downside you made your choice. No need to defend yourself with such vigor. Others have tried and given up. you might catch a clue there Lynch......

Username: Bruce_g

Post Number: 1
Update on my "Optical Drive" replacement. After emailing pics of the screen to JVC, they finally responded with "Great News, service center has agreed to service your machine" The earliest the shop could schedule the work was the 22nd. We have been without the use of the set since the 3rd.

Mr. Lynch, I would appreciate a copy of the service manual if it is available. My email is bglanville1975 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks for your help.

I sure am tired of scrolling through the bong posts to get to the info I want.

Silver Member

Post Number: 665
And you just got here!

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Frank,

The Service Center is charged a core charge on their account for the light engine until it is returned. If they lose it, they pay the core charge which is excessive (I suppose to keep track of the ones they don't want in circulation, etc.). There are pictures of this procedure on the AVS forum.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
tvshopper

Where are those pictures of the procedure? Which forum?

Bronze Member
Username: Thedvdguy

Post Number: 38
Tom,

If you insist on continuing to bog down this thread with your constant off-topic ramblings while we wait for someone to remove you from this site, then would you at least please learn the proper usage of "than" and "then".

For your convenience, I've provided links to their definitions above.

Thank you.
Have a better than average day.

Silver Member

Post Number: 690
Dear professser. Aldo I do not feal th kneed for purfect grammer and or spulling here...You get my massage. an dats all dats relly impotent....

Better late thanever

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 862
Bong, you took 5 minutes to reply? Come on your slacking...

Wearenotalong69-

When I had my light engine replaced, I planed on taking a ton of pix, but there was not much to see. The entire chassis just slides out the back. Everything is covered with panels and housed in black boxes.

Bruce-

After you get the replacement, check the picture before the tech leaves. A new light engine means all new chips, so look for dead/stuck pixels and a tilted screen. Sometimes things get banged around during transit.

Tom Bongs response-
I want to save you a post....
Dead pixels, tilted screen, you never hear those terms with a CRT...I couldn't imagine spending 2k+ only to need repairs...blah, blah, other nonsense, blah blah...

Tom Bong- Even $50,000 cars need repairs sometimes...Ever hear of a thing called a RECALL? I see then all the time.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 863
Bong, you took 5 minutes to reply? Come on your slacking...

Wearenotalong69-

When I had my light engine replaced, I planed on taking a ton of pix, but there was not much to see. The entire chassis just slides out the back. Everything is covered with panels and housed in black boxes.

Bruce-

After you get the replacement, check the picture before the tech leaves. A new light engine means all new chips, so look for dead/stuck pixels and a tilted screen. Sometimes things get banged around during transit.

Tom Bongs response-
(I want to save you a post)
Dead pixels, tilted screen, you never hear those terms with a CRT...I couldn't imagine spending 2k+ only to need repairs...blah, blah, other nonsense, blah blah...

Tom Bong- Even $50,000 cars need repairs sometimes...Ever hear of a thing called a RECALL? I see them all the time.

Username: Prd1

I finally have my new 61" Z786 and would really appreciate if you would send me a copy of the service manual. Thank you!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Tom - "Better late thanever"

Wow...congratulations!

Though the rest of your grammar was pretty bad, the spacing was a little off and you forgot one "n", you finally used the word "than" rather than "then"...there is a glimmer of hope for you yet!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 864
Phil-

No problem, I just need a place to send it. You can post your email, or send me a private message.

INDY
Unregistered guest
CEDIA 2005 Expo Tour: Part III
The third part of our tour through home theater heaven features 1080p sets out the yin-yang.
http://gear.ign.com/articles/652/652419p1.html

uconnfan
Unregistered guest
OK...I have been reading this thread for a long time, and quite frankly I have been enjoying the entertainment, particularly even more lately. For a while I was on the fence about which TV to buy, but after reading this thread and other info I have set my sights on the 52G786. As it has been said before, it seems to give you the biggest bang for the buck and I have been quite impressed with the picture. I want to thank everyone for their insights. That is MY choice...can you hear me Tom? I respect your opinion and you have every right to feel that way. But you insist on pushing your opinions on others when they did not ask for them. And you continue to attack others for the choices that they make. So it is not surprising that people become agitated. If someone asks a question in regards to RPLCD/DLP/LCOS vs RPCRT then by all means. I am sure they would find your opinion informative. But to keep attacking people and calling them "fanatics" just does not make any sense. The way that you do this reminds me of someone who is trying to recruit others for some cult or something, like the rest of us picked the wrong side or something. Remember...you can't expect to receive respect unless you give it. Why does it matter so much to you that we decided not to purchase a RPCRT? I just had to throw in my 2 cents.

Go Huskies!

Bronze Member

Yorkville, IL Us

Post Number: 12
About the core charge- I has hoping that Best Buy does things different. What I mean is the possibility that no core charge was even submitted to Best Buy account. It's a long shot but I'm willing to give it a try.

Also, Is it necessary to do a full Diagnostics and reconfiguration of the video settings? He's not just going to slap that light engine and leave is he? He really does seem to know his stuff, just would like to know what to expect.

One more thing. What does "TSB" stand for? I'll ask for any info in regards to this set, but I need to gain his trust by showing him, I really know what I'm talking about.

Bronze Member
Username: Ffb

Post Number: 19
i have been reading this site and posting for info a few months now and after 3 weeks away (traveling ) i ' ve come back to read the insults by bong.

we have a saying ---tell me what it is that you brag about and i will tell you what it is that you lack -----

and when opinions are answered by personal attacks it demonstrates a clear lack of intelligence and education and a very weak background ,not to mention trying to be something that you clearly are not.

so much for the insults .best answer is IGNORE THEM AND THE POSTER.may i humbly suggest that all on this site follow this advice ,NOW.

anyhow , i have been on the fence on the jvc unit ,and i am waiting for the new jvc 62 incher 1080.
if it it as good as the sony qualia i will get it . if not ,i am going with the sony qualia 1080.

has anyone seen them side by side ?

i saw the new mitsu and samsung today and i am impressed.they just keep getting better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Frank,

TSB= Technical Service Bulletin = Updates to info in the SERVICE MANUAL, Hot fixes, tips, etc

On replacing the light engine AKA Optical /Drive Assy. , Mr Lynch might be able to fill you in on some details since he had his replaced.

There may VERY well be certain things that may need to be done.

(If they get done may or may not happen.)

For example on the CRT based sets that I talked about above, On replacing the digital convergence board there is a set of steps you take to replace it.

Of course the "tech" didn't do those steps.... He just plugged it in, and it wasn't anywhere close to being right.

He "skipped" several steps , because he was LAZY. I caught him in a lie about it ONLY because I had the service manual.

In the JVC Service manual YA092, in section 1.5 (page 5 of 32) it briefly goes into replacing what they call the Optical /Drive Assy.

Looks like there are THREE separate steps. The last being a focus adjustment By reading it, I would think it's going to take longer than the 20?? minutes quoted by Mr Lynch previously to do ALL the steps.

What I'm trying to tell you is some "techs" are likely to skip steps. (Gasp!)

On the TSB's... there MAY be additional info about this procedure that goes more into depth, or some updated info that has come to light after the service manual was printed. (Things the tech should do, or look out for to do a first class job)

That's one reason if you can try to get them to look up and see if there ARE any TSB's !!!

Keep in mind some tech's may not even HAVE, or have LOOKED at or READ the SERVICE MANUAL, the procedures, and are just "replacing" the parts without following proper procedure. (Gasp!)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Edit to above, Mr. Lynch said it should take less than an hour to do above. I thought I read 20 minutes???

An hour, or slighty less sounds about right by looking at the manual.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 866
The light engine swap took about an hour. I might have been quicker but I kept asking what everything was. He said JVC charges any repair place a $1200 (at that time) core charge, and he was very careful to pack up the old light engine which added to the time.

After the new Light engine was installed the tech powered up the set, pluged in his signal generator and made sure everything worked properly. He said the focus and convergence is set in the factory, and it usually does not need to be adjusted. It is basically "ready to go" when installed.

I did notice that All my previous user settings remained, but things were way off. I had to use DVE and re-adjust my user settings. I didn't have to mess with the focus, and the convergence was pretty much right on.

When you have the tech at your place ask him about other brands. My tech told me his shop stopped working on Samsung DLPs because it was all they did. Samsung uses really cheap parts, so it is hit or miss getting a good set. They also don't like to pay their bills so more than a few shops have stopped servicing them. LG wasn't much better. He said Sony, Mitsubishi and JVC were his favorate to work on because they use nice parts.

Bronze Member

Yorkville, IL Us

Post Number: 13
So all the memory settings from the set is retained when doing a light engine swap and you were ok with the RGB settings from the old light engine? To be done right the tech really needs to do a full video adjustment, I will push for this...buy the guy lunch or something.

Buy the way got some parts in today:

TS-CBL6A-SAA Power Unit
LP20873-009B Remocon Unit (replaces LP20873-009A)

Why two parts for the recall ya got me...

Both have core charges so looks like it will be the same w/ the Light engine. These came from Andrews Electronics.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 871
Frank-

The service tech will install the parts and make sure everything works to spec. They are not trained to make too many video adjustments to the set. That is where a ISF certified person comes in. The service tech is usually trained to repair several different makes/models of TVs, so he might not have much knowledge or the ability to adjust your set. Maybe you will get a really good tech that can help out in that area.

Good luck and let us now how it turns out!!

Bronze Member

Yorkville, IL Us

Post Number: 14
I see Mr. Lynch, got it.

Ok.. so if anyone has had an ISF certified tech calibrate their TV after a new light engine install, please share all your settings from the video adjustment menu (service menu). This would be a good base to start.

Username: Prd1

Post Number: 2
Mr. Lynch

I still would like a copy of the service manual,please send to phildoty@comcast.net.

Thank you so much.

Bronze Member

Yorkville, IL Us

Post Number: 15
Ok while I'm waiting for my light engine swap, like to get a few more opinions on dvd players.

With this set, as I know it has been talked about before, thought I would bring the topic up again though, as newer DVD HDMI/up conversion players being released like wild fire.

Does everyone like the native 720p scaler of the TV and good progressive player, or do you feel that a good up conversion player makes this JVC shine.

The good up conversion players being the Denon, oppo, and maybe even the Zenith 318. Or do you feel that PQ is better with just a progressive player using the TV scaler?

Specifically looking for great PQ, great color and fast load times, dvd+R dvd-R... no hype 5-6 DVD changer. thinking about a Sony NS line or the denon 1910 ect. Don't want to dump too much cash, as HD players right around the corner

Username: Salr

I am looking at buying a JVC HD52G886. The store offers a service contract of 5 years on everything except bulbs for $300 or including bulbs for $500. Any opinions on whether it is worth getting either of these?

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Sal Rappa,

These sets come with a 1 year warranty. I would assume the 5 years on everything is really 4 YEARS for $300. If so I'd go for it.
And extra $200 for blubs (lamps) is probally going to pay for itself as well.

The TS-CL110U lamp goes for $199 - $270 depending on were you buy it, so I would think over the next 5 years the EW would pay for itself.

I would keep the TV plugged into a UPS. One thing you never want to do is to run the set and then CUT power to it because these sets have fans that COOL the lamp.

If you read some of my previous posts I bought a HD-61z575 with a retail price of $2999 for $1,000 because they cut power to the unit at the end of the day. Unit's prod date Jan,2005, bought it in August with a blown blub.
I assume the blub dying early because the unit was a display model and at the end of the day they just killed power to ALL the displays.

8 10 hours a day for 6-7 months, the set not getting a proper cool down leads me to believe the lamps DO last, or will last for quite a while WITH a proper cool down.

I did notice the internals of the lamp being shattered, maybe from the improper cool down, or maybe the set being moved while the lamp was still hot, or a combo of the two.

On the EW, you do the math. Regardless of the blub issues, ANY in home service call isn't going to be cheap.

Warranty is all a numbers game.
UPS is pretty much a must-proper cool down a must.
Not moving the set, lettting it cool down for an hour after it's been run is also a good idea.

Silver Member

Post Number: 810
Don't believe the BS. The bulbs are only warranted for 2160 hours. Anything after that is a wing and a prayer.

If you feel the need to buy an EW in the first place why would you consider soending that mich on a product. The logic escapes me.

Bronze Member

Yorkville, IL Us

Post Number: 16
CRT's have been around for how long, and they still have their problems....uuhh, never mind not worth it.

Username: Cagliostro

Quebec, Quebec Canada

Can someone tell me what's the best dvd player for my 52z575? And do i have to pay 'the price' for my hdmi cable? Viva el d-ila!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 872
DVD players-

After over 1 year of using a Toshiba upscaling DVD player with HDMI output, I would recommend the following:

If you want to stay under $200 for a DVD player I would recommend picking up a really good progressive scan DVD player like the Pioneer dv-588A-S. It will give you the best picture for under $200. If you want/need an upscaling player with HDMI output, the Toshiba 4980, Toshiba 5980 and the Sony DVP-N570H can all be found for around $120 if not cheaper.

If your looking for more highend, the Denon 2910, Denon 3910 adn the SOny DVP-NS975V are all great players.

When it comes to cables I've tried a $120 MONSTER HDMI cable, the pack-in HDMI cable that came with my DVD player, and a $15 Ebay DVI-HDMI cable. They all look the same to me. The Monster cable was returned, and I use the $15 DVI to HDMI cable with my HD cable box.

I run my upscaling DVD player over component at 480p. With my Toshiba DVD player (SD-5970), letting the TV convert a 480p signal looks a little better than the upscaled 720p signal. HDMI does look better then component, but I watch cable much more often than DVDs, so the cable gets the better connection.

Silver Member

Post Number: 815
>>>CRT's have been around for how long, and they still have their problems....uuhh, never mind not worth it.<<<

What problems are they again..? during the first two year especially Frank. I don't see many screams for hellp from the CRT contingent here. Surely not as many as the micro display set.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 873
If anyone is looking for Component cables, check out this deal. Best Buy, Video Only and several other stores sell these for $30.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=189-060

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Eric,

Right now at Radio Shack you can pick up an HDMI cable for $12.95. The original price was $99 and it might be marked $49, but it should ring up at $12.95. I don't remember what brand it is.

I have heard really good things about the OPPO HDMI upconverting DVD player, but I am leaning towards this one, because of the network capabilities, and the large number of file types it supports:

http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=&sc=AVE L&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA

Unfortunately it doesn't have HDMI support, but once they come to fix the HDMI port on my 52z575 tomorrow, that'll be taken up by the cable box anyways. So I'll be hooking it up via component.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
There is also a JVC version of the AVeL LinkPlayer that was originally supposed to come out this month, but appears to be delayed. It will have a DVI port on the back.

http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVELK&ts=2&tsc=&sc=AV ELK&pId=SRDVD-100U

# DVI-I analog/digital out with copy-protected DVD play & upscalling to 720pUpscale to 720p on DVI digital with HDCPThe DVI-I output supports both analog/digital 1080i/720p display-out. And this line has HDCP copy-protection compliance chip in order to playback the commertial DVD movie. Any standard 480p movie can play by upscalling to 720p via DVI-I on HDCP TV.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Mr Lynch,

I picked up 4 of those component cables the last time you posted that deal. They work great and delivery was very fast, plus they even sent me a free screwdriver ;-) .

Thanks again!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 874
Brett-

That's good to hear. My buddy bought the new 32" JVC LCD over the weekend and needed some component cables. I checked out the old link and they still have some cables instock.

The JVC LCDs are pretty sweet. The styling looks just like the Dila just super thin. The service menu access is the same so we are going to tweak the set later this week.

Username: Burns

Mr. Lynch, I will be buying a 52G786 this week and would greatly appreciate it if you could send me the service manual. Please send to morinej@adelphia.net

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch, et. al.,

My cable company has supplied me the Motorola MOXI DVR box. I currently run that through component connections. If I'm reading your stuff right, I would be better off using HDMI. Is that true?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 878
I thought that question would come up.

I tried both component and HDMI with my Motorola DVR. I CANNOT see a noticable difference.

I feel my DVD player looks better at 480p over component than it did at 720p over HDMI. Since I have my Xbox hooked up to input 2, and the DVD player to input 1, that left the only the HDMI open for the cable box.

If I had a DVD player that upscaled better than the JVCs internal scaler does I would use the HDMI for it.

APR
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I am planning on buying the 56G886 today at "Video only". They have an extended warranty but it only costs about $150 for 3 years. I am a little concerned about the warranty. Anyone have any experience with Video Only warranties?

Also, I plan to ask the following questions and look at the warranty fine print. Please let me know if I am missing something or over expecting something.
1. Is it certified by JVC?
2. Is it parts AND labor?
3. Will they do a replacement if they can't fix it?
4. Will they replace the lamp as part of the warranty?

My concern is when I look up 3 year warranties offered by others (including JVC) they are in $250-300 range.

Thanks in advance
APR

Bronze Member

Yorkville, IL Us

Post Number: 17
Hey, great info on the DVD players, but now I will throw this in the picture...lol. A NEW JVC switching HDMI Receiver w/ Upconversion.

http://store.yahoo.com/mediasource1/jvcrxhdswne.html

Couldn't hold back just purchased one these myself in black. I am now re-vamping my entire home theater setup..Geez, this isn't going to be cheap! Have to get that JVC HD player too..

The only thing I would like to add on the DVD upconvesion topic, is when you take a low quality dvd backup or copy, a standard progressive player will look better than the upconversion player due to upconversion being a low quality source. The upconversion has made the lower quality DVD now more pronounced.

Username: Txn88

Please add me to your email list for the Service Manual of the 52G886.

Your the go to guy Mr. Lynch.

Thanks

txn88@comcast.net

Username: Txn88

Post Number: 3
Different subject,

Anyone find some good uses for the firewire ports?

Can I feed Itunes or video to the set from my laptop?

Can we control the TV from our computer?

Anyone messed around and found hacks for these yet?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
APR, on that "Video only" warranty...

Not many people are going to know the details of what is and wht is not covered here.

Even if someone was to post:

Yea, they cover everything, They fxed my set 20 minutes after I called them, etc, etc...

Keep in mind anything said here is heresay.

While I can understand your concerns, You need to contact the insurer DIRECTLY, getting in WRITING what is and what is not covered.

BTW: NEW (National Electroncis Warranty) 800-994-7267, which is the company that sells warranty thru Sam's /Walmart 3yr is $198.31. NOTE: NEW does NOT cover the lamps.

Username: Deanbrew

Post Number: 4
Are most JVC DILA owners of the consensus that the TV does a good job of upconverting DVD and that an upconverting DVD player is unnecessary?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
I currently have a Philips 642 DVD player (at 480p) connected via Component cables to my 575 and I have noticed a fair amount of color banding.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the (inexpensive) DVD player or the JVC's ability to display the picture. I haven't tried another DVD player yet, but I'm hoping that this might be corrected by getting an upconverting DVD player.

That's why I was leaning toward either the OPPO or LinkPlayer since both do upconverting + divx + PAL/NTSC. I'm not sure if the OPPO can be made region-free though. The OPPO only does upconverting over HDMI though.

Bronze Member
Username: Kwallstorm

Post Number: 13
APR
If you have a Platinum Visa you can get a 5 year extended warrenty that mirrors the mfg warrenty for $190.

APR
Unregistered guest
WeAreNotAlone69 and KWAllstorm,
Thanks for your replies.

This warranty is through GEAppliances. I called them up to ask if the bulb is covered and they said that normally not but they have special agreements with retailers. I have a fax from V.O Bellevue that they cover lamps under GE warranty for LCD TVs. When I mentioned this to the GE person they agreed that the LCOS will be covered also.

Mr.Lynch, I dug up your post from long time back that you made sure that the lamp is covered under the GE Warranty. Can you share details on that?

Also, I bought the 56G886 last night at V.O. Bellevue and it's coming in today. Can you send me the manual at arvivraa@hotmail.com (if I don't get it on hotmail, I will send you a pm)

Finally, I really wish I had seen your pricegrabber/friend post on the Bellevue V.O before I bought the TV. But, I think I still got a decent deal.

Thanks everyone
APR

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 879
ARP-

Congrats on the new TV. I can't believe you saw that post. That was well over a year ago. Back then the JVC was $3200 on the floor and I paid $2670. The new ones retail for around that price.

The store manager guarenteed me that the GE extended warranty covered the lamp and the store manager gave it to me in writting that lamps were covered or his store would personally pay for the lamp. The small print on the GE E.W. states that it does NOT cover the lamp, so I'll see what happens when I need a new one.

What did you end up paying? Even at floor price, V.O is still hundreds less than everywhere else.

Mac-

The firewire input works great with camcorders, and it is very possible it will work with a laptop too. I do not have firewire on my JVC, but the local Sears had the new JVC HD camcorder hooked up to it.

uconnfan
Unregistered guest
Has anyone come across the model number HD527BP6? Best Buy has this on their website and I have also seen it at Costco as well. Does anyone know how this relates to the G series?

Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Well, the service tech just left. He was here for an hour or more trying to get the HDMI port to work, but got nothing but green screens. Apparently my problem is from when the guys came to do the recall ballaste replacement (a different service contractor), they powered up the TV with the cover off which disables the HDMI port.

According to JVC, this cannot be re-activated using the standard service menus. Instead a special service remote (which he didn't have) is needed. So he is going to order the service remote and then come back (hopefully next week). He said that once he gets that remote its just a matter of pressing the "transmit" button and then following some menus.

Anonymous

Same problem here Brett. The service guy asked if I had every had to back off. I naturally said no, but I did. Its like a new car, you have to look under the hood!

There should be a warning on the back or in the service manual or something. Now I feel like a fool. That will teach me to put my hands in the cookie jar!

The tech was talking about another set that had the HDMI tripped. He said it was a $300 board, not reset buttons like the Panasonics?

Username: Deanbrew

Post Number: 5
mr lynch, can you kindly send me the service manual, also? My email is deanATsmailincDOTcom (replace the AT with '@' and DOT with '.').

Thank you.

Username: Maxoccupancy

Soquel, CA USA

Just got my 52G886 delivered this morning. Looks great!! One problem I'm having is that the left side of the screen seems to "sag". I've checked through several devices and it seems to be the TV. Whether the picture is actually tilted or the left side of the screen is dipping I can't tell for sure. There doesn't seem anyway to adjust it from the standard menu screen. Anyone else have this problem?? Any help would be great!! It doesn't affect the performance but its just damn irritating.

Anonymous

Well... color me blind. There is a warning on the back of the set. Stupid me!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Anonymous - I would assume you powered up the set without the back cover?

$300 board for just firing up the set without the back cover on?

Something sounds fishy.

How as a tech are you supposed to run the set, to check it out?

Brett, On that special remote... I doubt that is the case, it's more than likely a set of key presses using a programable remote.

(If not that is sort of over-kill. Strange that the service manual does not cover this info? -Or does it?)

Make SURE to get the part number of that "special" remote... and the keypad press squence.
If you have some kind of "learning" remote... maybe you could make it "learn" the code???

I would think a tech or shop owner would like also to be able to program a "regular" remote, making it into a service remote for cost reasons, and having an "extra". (regular programable remote, programed with service codes in case orginal is lost).

See if you can get a COPY of the TSB referencing the procedure, the part number of the remote, etc.

That kind of stuff is handy to have 2, 3, 4 years from now when that service remote is no longer available.

TDockUSC
Unregistered guest
Hey guys, quick question. I have an HD-52G786. The color when I use HDMI, component, etc. is great but everything is very green on my TV input. I have an OTA antenna pulling the digital signal there and the green is ridiculous. I think I may have messed something up adjusting the colors in the service menu, but don't understand how because it only affects the TV input.

Any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 140
Each input has it's own color settings, so it's very possible that only the antenna input got messed up. The service menu can be like playing with fire if you are not careful. Maybe you can compare your settings with another member.

INDY
Unregistered guest
Home Theater Magazine September, 2005
JVC HD-70G886 D-ILA HDTV
http://www.hometheatermag.com/rearprojectiontvs/905jvc

TDockUSC
Unregistered guest
Alright Mr Lynch, looks like I might need that service manual for a HD-52G786. Appreciate any help you could provide.

treykelly79@gmail.com

Bronze Member
Username: Tommy_c

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 33
So I leave this thread a month or so, and it turns into a fire fight, nice going! I finally couldn't take the crooked picture anymore (now that football season is in full effect). JVC is sending a tech out next week to diagnose/repair the problem. So far the TV has been reliable, and JVC has been more than helpful. See my post on Denon receivers to learn what poor customer service is. As I mentally develop, service becomes more and more of an issue. JVC so far, is up there with the best of them for service after the sale. I know it's not a huge selling point when buying a TV; with technobabble usually taking precedence, but take it for what it's worth!

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 34
Mr Lynch,

If it will help you out, (and reduce the requests) You may store a copy of the manual on my web site, and post a direct download link to it. email me for the site/link

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 35
Frank,

I am very interested in hearing about your results with that media box. USB for sreaming Media, HDMI switching...that baby is just what doctor divorce ordered!! At 400 clams, it's a bit much to pay for the convienience of consolodating 3 units (wireless sender, media to AV box, remote DVI switch), but only by a hundred bucks or so. when these go to <200 bucks (and they will), I'm in.. Lets hear about your results!

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 36
Sorry about the multiple posts, but apparently I build first, than read the instructions later ;) Kyle, the "sag" you are referring to, is the crooked picture I am referring to. JVC is sending a tech to adjust, fix, cir-cumcise, etc...

Username: Junegem

Mr. Lynch - can you kindly email the service manual for the HD52Z575 to me? My email is Terryj@maine.rr.com.
I really appreciate you doing this for me and I'm thankful for your participation and knowledge on this forum!!
Finally, does anyone know where I can get a replacement bulb on the 'net? JVC says that due to Katrina, I will have to wait two weeks for their bulb to reach me...I'd just as soon purchase an extra to have on hand (the set is under warranty so one bulb will be free).
Thanks to all!
Terry

Major Dave
Unregistered guest
Well, I made the plunge. Bought the HD-56G786.

I would really appreciate the service manual: captsehorn@msn.com

Thanks all!

Username: Capthook5

Service Manual Settings

I'm not sure if these settings need a little tuning up? Could someone please send me a copy of the service manual? steve@hvhlandscaping.com

Thank youUpload

Username: Awdracer

Hi all. I have had a 52" JVC DILA TV for about 4 mos. All of the red colors have suddenly disappeared. The reds look black and everything seems to have a bluish hue. I havn't had any luck reaching the 800 number listed in my owner's manual. Is this a common problem?

Thanks,

-Scott

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Terr,

Here is one site.

http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/jvclamps/TS-CL110UAA.html

Search google with the part number (TS-CL110UAA) and look for more. I think you can get it cheaper than the $269 advertised here. Let us know what you find.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Terr,

To be fair to JVC alot of their stuff is shipped in via the ports on the gulf coast and there is alot of damage down there due to huricane Katrina.

BTW: JVC's price on the TS-CL100U (aa) is $199

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 885
Tommy-

Thanks for the offer to post the service manual. I've had it hosted 2x before, and each time JVC has sent a letter asking to take it down. I'm sure you have a copy so if you would like to host it I'm sure people would really appreciate that but be prepared to take it down.

Steve-

Your settings look fine.

TDockUSC-

It sounds like you have a "hot" green drive. It is pretty common for TVs to have a green tint. If you can not fix it in the user menus, use the service manual.

First I would like to say, BECAREFUL! You can really screw up your TV is you try to adjust the wrong stuff.

Now that the "disclaimer" is out of the way, here is what you should do:

1) Go into the service menu (follow page 19)
2) select option #1 "adjust" (Follow page 20)
3) press the right arrow key until you get to setting item no. "S031 G Drive"
4) use the up/down arrows to adjust the value.

The S031 G drive controls the green levels. It should be set around 112-122. I've seen many JVCs that have had this set well over 130. The R (S030) and B (S032) drives should be set around 128.

I personally have the following settings:
S030 (red) 126
S031 (green) 114
s032 (blue) 128

Do not mess with any other values unless you know exactly what you are going. This proceedure also works with most other 2004/2005/2006 JVC TVs. Dilas, CRTs, LCD, even plasmas. JVC keep most of the adjustments the same across the entire lineup of sets.

TDockUSC
Unregistered guest
Mr Lynch, thanks for the response. The only input that shows green is the TV input. The HDMI, component, etc. looks perfect. Best Buy was just at my house and they said that my "recieved modulator" had gone bad and needed replacing. The guy did not seem to know what he was doing and had to call JVC to walk him through it. He ordered a new modulator and said that he would come back to install it in about a week.

Does this sound accurate. He just did not seem to understand the tv and I don't want unessential work done because I am afraid that things will just be worse. Right now, the only problem is my antenna input which I use VERY RARELY.

Any thougths would be appreciated and thanks for your help already.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 886
My fault. I read your post wrong. I don't think I've ever used my Co-ax input. I have it hooked up so I can use the PIP, but I can't remember the last time I used that either.

A lot of techs have never dealt with the JVC. They are usually trained to work on TVs in general. The last time I talked to the Tech hear in the Seattle area he said he was 1 of only 2 people in the state to be trained by JVC to work on the DILA sets. This doesn't mean other people can do the work, it just means it migfht take them a bit longer. That's why I got the service manual. If the tech was not totally sure of the location of parts, I'd give him the service manual to help him out. I think It would be more helpful than talking to someone on the phone at JVC.

Username: Phoeman

just bought a new hd-52g786, picture is ok but I have 1 issue with this unit. Their appears to be a light grey area just above the power button on the screen. It is not to bad on color screens but very noticable on dark screens. anyone have any ideas?

Username: Snicholson

Mr. Lynch,

I am seriously considering the JVC HD52G786/886. Could you please forward your service manual to snicholson@profit-tech.com?

You're probably sick of these requests so if you can't get to it I understand.

Thank you very much,

Scott

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 887
Scott-

It's on the way. Sometime my computer job gets a little boring. I need to do something to pass the time...

Cam Ram
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch:

I just purchased the HD61G886 and was curious if you could send me the service manual also...... I imagine it would be the same for my set... I definitely need to adjust my color settings as you have above. I really appreciate it. Please email it to rkegerlach@msn.com

Mr. Lynch - thank you soooo much for the service manual! Greatly appreciated! :-)

TV Shopper - thanks for the link and ouch, that is quite a lot to pay for the bulb plus paying for express shipping! There's one on ebay for $150 plus $9 S&H. I may buy that one so I have an extra on hand. I also have a local vendor checking to see if they can get one for me.

WANA69 - I'm not dissing JVC in any way as I understand the shipping problems related to Hurricane Katrina. I'm prepared to wait for my free bulb; but in the meantime, I am without my TV (and whining about it!) so if I can get an extra bulb at a reasonable price, then I'll buy it so I can watch my TV while waiting for the bulb from JVC. And, then I'll also have an extra bulb to have on hand for the next time! :-)

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 888
You gotta you like a person on Ebay that lists the LCoS JVC lamps as "It is for JVC LCD and DLP televisions".

If I could get a group buy together would people be interested? JVC sells the lamps for $199, but I'm sure some part store would be interested in selling a bigger lot for a discount. I'll check around and see what I can find.

Count me in if you can get a group discount.

Soquel, CA USA

Tommy C-
I had a service tech out on friday. The first thing he says when I show him the problem is "THAT bothers you?" Damn right it does. When I pay $2k I expect it to be in perfect condition. But anyways, he confers with JVC. He tells me the guy on the phone seemed to know right away the problem and that it is the lens being out of alignment. (or something to that effect). So he had to order some washers from JVC to realign it. So now I wait for the washers. About a week they say.

Mr. Lynch-
Could I also get a copy of your famed service manual???!

Soquel, CA USA

Mr. Lynch-
by the way, my email is:
kyleandamber@sbcglobal.net

Username: Phoeman

might as well join the band wagon also, Mr. Lynch, if you have a service manual for the 52g786 i would very appreciative if you could e-mail it to me, thanks. phoeman1@aol.com

Username: Jnice72

Hello all

Scott Willard - I share a similar problem, and your pain. I have had my 52Z575 since July 9, and it was great until last Friday. I turned on the set, and all of the whites appeared yellow (blue lamp/chip is out?). Even the gray bars in SD were yellow-gray. I thought, "Huh, that's not right," turned it off, waited the 90 sec., and turned it back on. Picture reverted to its normal good quality. Saturday, I turned on the UM/MSU game, and the same yellow twinge appeared. I again turned it off, then back on, and the whites appeared normal. On Sunday, same thing during the Bucs/Lions game, only it didn't revert after turning it off and on. I called JVC, and their helpful advice was to unplug the set for 30 minutes to reset it. This did not fix the problem, so I called my nearest service guy today (they aren't open on Sunday). Now, I am watching the GB/Carolina game, and in the wide angle shot it is difficult to differentiate the color of the pack's helments from that of their pants. I am absolutely sick about this, especially because for the past 2.5 months it has operated without a hitch. For your reference my TV was manufactured in 11-2004. I'll let you know what the service guy says after he comes.

Bronze Member
Username: Uhphikap

Post Number: 19
Mr. Lynch, I'll check when I get to work in the morning and see if I can get the bulbs and let you guys know how much they would be if you got them through me.

Username: Capthook5

Thanks for the advice on my settings Mr. Lynch,
I'd still be interested in the service manual too steve@hvhlandscaping.com and I'd also be in to stocking up on a spare bulb if you order some up. Thanks Steve

Bronze Member

Yorkville, IL Us

Post Number: 18
Hey guys...Best Buy will be here tomorrow being Tuesday. I'm getting the HDMI fixed (only black screen)not green, and the new light engine replaced..as well as the ballast upgrade/recall fixed. I'm curious as to how these light engines are different, will take pictures when we open the box, as he did not want me to open them before he got here. Then I can talk about the new JVC HDMI switching 7.1 reciever. So far the sound is better than my Denon AVR-1800 5.1 reciever, the wife even noticed it sounding more theater like...so I'm off to a good start. The only thing I don't like about the receiver is the cheap plastic control knobs, but the sound is great. As far as I know it will take a 480i and upgrade that to a 480p (good for laser discs and such) through HDMI port. All other higher resolutions via 720p/1080i pass through.

Username: Awdracer

Jnice72, it sounds like we have the EXACT same problem. I watched some of the Carolina/GB game too and it was horrible. Please let me know what happens when your tech comes.

You can post here or email at awdracer@yahoo.com

Thanks!

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
I'm interested in the bulb buy as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Uhphikap

Post Number: 20
Okay, Here's what I found out about the bulb. The "dealer discount" is not that much, so you'renot going to find much better prices. I can do the bulbs for $190 each at my company. They are in "severe backorder status" right now, about 3-4 weeks, according to my JVC rep. Best way to do this would be to do it individually, but lots of them at a time. At least 10 bulbs would be the best way to make this happen. As far as the shipping, it will be the actual shipping charges with INSURANCE to make sure UPS doesn't damage the lamp in-transit. Probably looking at anywhere from $6-$10, depending on where you live. I am in Houston, TX.

Also, if anyone is interested in extended warranties, I can do those as well. If you want, find the best price online you can locate, then call or email me with a link and I'll beat it if I can and save you some cash there as well. We sell the MACK warranties - 3 year extended warranty, not including the bulb, and then the additional bulb replacement warranty.

Also - we are able to sell the TV as well. That's how I got mine 2 months ago. You might have to wait a short while for us to get them in because I have to order them 3 at a time, but if we can make it work, I can probably save some people some money on the TV as well, especially if you're in Houston or Texas or nearby.

If I can be of assistance, please call me (Brian) at TapeWorks Texas, Inc. at 1-866-827-3489.

I hope I can help some of you out and you will all be able to enjoy this TV as much as I do!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 889
Brian-

Thanks for all the info. I couldn't find anyone that would cut a deal for some lamps. Most places didn't even have any.

I'd definitely like to get a lamp from you. Mine are covered by my E.W. but I'd love to have a spare to use while waiting for the new one to come in.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us