Did I make a mistake?

Username: Sturner

New Jersey

Post Number: 1
Hey guys I'm new to this board so i'm hoping you can help me. I wanted a decent Progressive Scan DVD player that wouldn't break the bank as I have 3 small kids and don't want to worry about them when they use the DVD player. I bought the LG 511 model and hooked it up using component connections to my Sherbourn processor. It's being displayed on a 42" widescreen EDTV Panasonic Plasma. The player has an HDMI connection but I didn't want to connect directly to the television as I have my digital cable box connected to my tv via HDMI for the high def channels. Am I losing any picture quality by connecting the DVD player with component connections to my processor? Also the player has a button on front that changes resolution. It doesn't seem to change the quality.

I'm thinking that I might have gone a little too cheap. I was looking for the Panasonic DVD S77 player but no one had it in stock. The LG seems to play and look fine. We watched the animated movie Robots last night and it looked OK to me.

Praetorian
Unregistered guest
First off, you have to remember that there is a diff between EDTV (enhanced) and HDTV (High). I am under the impression that enhanced only goes to 480p (progressive). The short version of the difference between the two is: i = 240ish of the odd numbered horizontal lines on a picture laced out in 1/60th of a second, then the even numbered lined in anither 1/60th = 480ish lines in 1/30th of a second, but in essence, half the pic first, then the other half. This comes back to the older days of TV when bandwidth was an issue, and the technology receiving the pic (CRTs) needed more time to get the cathode ray back to the top of the screen for the next pic (which added another 45 or so "blank" lines as a pause). your TV is 480P (progressive) which does all the lines in sequence, and is the standard for DVD players. Do not worry too much about any "mistake". 480p is a LOT better than 480i, but your DVD player can upconvert all it wants, your TV can not accept the format and will "down" convert the signal. I have to stress, this is NOT a bad thing. Enjoy the 480p, your TV probably has a line doubler taking SDTV and smoothing it out so that the mistakes that were not visible in the "old" TVs are no longer noticable. At 42in, 480i can be pretty retched...

Now, you mentioned you are suscribing to HDTV, and I am confused a bit, if your TV is an EDTV, then it cannot display 720p, or 1080i, if it does, then it is an HDTV, and your DVD player will upconvert the signal, and you should notice a huge difference...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us