Samsung 50" DLP cycles on and off

Username: Tystrains

Post Number: 1
My Samsung 50" DLP sometimes works fine. Other times it shuts down , waits about 30 seconds, comes on again, shuts down again, etc. etc. etc.
My guess is some thermal protection circuit is shutting it down, and then it comes on after 30 seconds of cooling. Anyone else had this problem?

Username: Hunt4julie

Post Number: 1
Tyler,
I have the HLP6163W purchased in March of this year that has recently begun shutting off intermittently; with audio still broadcasting. I never wait for it to come back on I just turn it on with the remote but I was checking past postings on this site and I noticed that some members have said that it's either a bulb or ballast problem. I called Samsung to report the problem and they gave me a transaction number and hooked me up with a local service center. The service center is hesitant to send a tech out unless I'm certain the problem can be duplicated while he is here. I know that it won't do it when he comes out so I said that I would do some research on the Internet to get more info. to provide them. Does anyone out there know for certain what causes the TVs to just randomly shut off? I have checked my power cord and it's not loose. I also have it plugged into a very good surge protector.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 399
Julie,

It doesn't sound like your set is shutting off if the sound continues, unless, of course, your sound doesn't go through the set.

My best guess is that the lamp is loose in the socket.
Otherwise, the lamp could have been damaged during shipping.

The service center shouldn't hesitate to try the fix of replacing the lamp. That should be automatic to see if the problem goes away.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 400
Tyler,

Are you seeing an actual restart where the lights on the front cycle? If so, it could be a lamp issue.

If not, it sounds like an incompatable DVI/HDMI connection. That can cause the picture to drop out and return.

Username: Hunt4julie

Post Number: 2
FYI,
The set is definitely shutting off - the audio is run through the receiver not the set (I should've thought that through before posting the problem). Would lamps just shut off if damaged? If a lamp is damaged wouldn't it just stop emitting light altogether? I don't want a component replaced if there is nothing wrong with it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us