CableCARD RCA

Username: Cgking114

Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

Post Number: 1
I recently had an attempted install of a cablecard on my RCA HD56W58 thru Comcast with a Scientific Atlanta card. It would not install and I get a 161-8 error code. Does anyone knoiws what this means? Cable co. and RCA have no clue.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 446
Have your cable company come out and make sure your FDC (forward data carrier) is between -10/+10 dBmV. In the meantime, call RCA and report the problem

Post Number: 2
cableguy I have comcast coming out again on Tuesday Oct 25. Can you give me some advice on what I should have him check? I gave Comcast my contact at RCA's phone number. Don't know if they have talked or not.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 456
Can you give me some advice on what I should have him check?

Exactly what I gave you above to have them check.

I find it comical that RCA doesn't know what the error codes mean. I'm sure the phone reps that answer you calls don't have a clue, but they should be able to esculate the call to an engineer or tech and he/she should be able to determine what the error is being caused by...such a shame consumers have to go through this type of phone activity for a product.

Post Number: 3
Well Comcast came and checked the FDC and it was not within limits from the street. They are going to fix the problem in the street and hopefully the card can install. Will keep you posted and thanks for your help cable guy.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 464
Cool beans...
Please let us know when it's fixed, we'll be here

Post Number: 4
Well fixed the FDC signal but cable card still won't install. Have tried three cards and Host ID won't come up. Still getting 161-8 error. RCA says that they will schedule a service call to check port. This is getting reallt frustrating.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 487
Chris,
Glad to hear they corrected the FDC, sorry to hear about the 161-8 error still hanging around. It has something to do with invalid buffer size, hopefully RCA will figure it out quickly and determine if they need to fix something or if your provider needs to fix something. Hang in there, it's gonna be tug-o-war time for a bit. Have faith, it'll get fixed.
regards,

Post Number: 5
Well RFCA sent tech here and he replaced my module and YAYYYYYYY my cablecard is now working. Thanks cableguy for your help.
One more question though. My signal strength with the cablecard is between 50-75 percent causing some breakups. should I call the cable co. and have them come out. They did some work in my area two weeks ago and i noticed that the PQ went down after that. Thanks again.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 506
Chris,
Glad to hear they were able to fix your TV's problem. As to your other question, by all means call your provider and have them come out and check signal strength.
Thanks for keeping us posted.
regards,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us