Throw ratio

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 638
I have been looking around at video projectors. An over-ridingly important consideration for me is throw ratio - the projection distance divided by the image size. All reviews seem to approve of small throw ratios, so you can get a huge image with the projector close to the screen. This seems to me to be a computer-display requirement, not a home cinema one.

In my room I have a high ceiling, which precludes ceiling mounting, and I certainly don't want the projector on a coffee table between me and the screen, with cables to fall over and the distraction of the projector itself. On the wall behind the viewer is the only practical location. But the image from most projectors is then too big, even at its smallest.

And yet it is very hard to find the throw ratio in most specs, and mostly you have try to calculate it from image size range and distance size range, which are given as upper and lower limits.

Surely this is a practical consideration for many people.

The Hitachi Illumina seems to be the only one that has a wide enough range and within my price range.

Any views, or recommendations, anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 694
well john not many takers in the projector room aye?

i have done enough research myself yet to comment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1635
Thanks for the friendly word, Kegger!

No, this one bombed! I will get a projector one day, it is maybe six months away.

REading the magazine reviews, you get the impression people want short-throw on a coffee table so they can look at, and admire, their projector, not watch the movie. It's a bit like that with speakers, and music, as we know from other threads.

Projectors should be invisible when in use, just as speakers should be inaudible.

That's how I see it, anyway!

Username: Scottro

Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post Number: 10
You might want to try projectorcentral.com and use their projection calculator tool. It sounds like you know where you want to mount the projector, it's an easy way to see if you can match up a projector and screen size with your other parameters (room dimensions, budget). Overall I think it's a very informative site for those of us new to projection, good articles on screens sizes, aspect ratios, etc.

Another informative site is projectorpeople.com.

Hope these help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1682
Scottro,

Thanks. I have cruised through projectorcentral but not looked in detail. I will check out both those sites.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1896
The Optoma ThemeScene H56 looks good from this and other points of view.

Anyone have experience of that...?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2477
Thanks to admin for this new category "Projectors".

I still have no answer to the question on April 15.

Anyone know a good projector with a large and adjustable throw ratio?

All the inexpensive ones have throw ratios too small for me, perhaps because they are computer projectors in disguise.

(I thought I would try to revive this thread, Kegger!)

Bronze Member
Username: Seenalot

Post Number: 13
Hey has anyone checked out www.projectorpackages.com super sale right now!

Username: Mg123

Post Number: 1
I feel exactly the same way: I think the projector should be behind the audience like in the theater, providing the least amount of noise and distraction. Most projectors are short throw for conference rooms not homes, but there are many with long throw: Sharp 12000, Dwin TV3, all of the JVC D-ila and many others. Yes, try projector central:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm

Gold Member

Post Number: 2492
Thanks, Kevin and Michael. I will check these out.

Reilly
Unregistered guest
You should consider Free Dishnetwork or Free Directtv.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us