Anyone have input on Orasat 5.0 ?

orasatinfoneeded
Unregistered guest
I have been reading good things about Orasat 5.0 on web boards from al7 and dsstester.com. I see a good amount of dealers and websites saying it is the best unit out and better then cool_sat 4000 pro or pansat 3500s but i want to know what a user that owns it thinks??

jamesthedean
Unregistered guest
To Answer your question,

It is simple it is a very powerful unit and works very good. I have the pansat 3500s and orasat 5.0 and really love the orasat better. You will really like it a lot. Very powerful and easy to use i think its a great buy.

justasilay
Unregistered guest
yea i feel the same great unit super powerful.

i got it for 265$ and i think it was well worth the cost!

you want the best i suggest you get it too.

orasatfan
Unregistered guest
yea i #2 that well worth the cost more powerful then pansat 3500s and coolsa t. Easy to use get all the best TV channels on a great picture!!

ftawestlink
Unregistered guest
good support great unit!!

two thumbs up a must have unit if you want the best and a easy to use fta receiver.

GenZod
Unregistered guest
What about software needs?

kimjung
Unregistered guest
hey orasatinfoneeded,

I wanted to let you know i got a orasat 5.0 and it cost me $260 so it was more then pansat 3500s or cool sat but i went a head and got it as my 2 unit. it is really quite good its better then i thought it would be. the support it not on ALL boards yet but im sure it will be as viewsat was VERY slow to get on the boards the orasat is a lot better so i am sure it will be on ALL shortly. it was listed on a few boards but not all it will be shortly if to answer your question you should buy it. its a great unit you will love it and supported.

NEVER BUY ORASAT
Unregistered guest
These above posts are all from the same person.
Orasat's Main Processor : STi5518 - bad choice for the$$$

At this price the Viewsat or Dreambox (Dreambox is hard to setup) is much much much better value. They have far superior processors and sdram etc.

There is absolutely ZERO support out there for this unit. You would have to be crazy to buy one of these over a Pansat or C00LSAT which are cheaper and the same specs with 10 times the support. If you want a lasting receiver then buy a Viewsat or Dreambox.

jakeisthebest
Unregistered guest
To orasatinfoneeded,

I own 3 FTA receivers a viewsat pansat 3500s and i just got a orasat 5.0 the other day. The orasat 5.0 is a good receiver it is easier to use and by far the best picture and sound. My viewsat has lots of sound problems and i really am mad about that. If you want to know if it is worth buying for $260 the answer is yes it is, if you are thinking about getting the viewsat i would tell you to look closely at the reviews and the specs of the unit. The orasat has a faster ture STi5518 chip unlike viewsat.

Bronze Member
Username: Spank

Post Number: 46
You absolutely are posting a lie. The STi5518 is clocked at 81MHZ. The Viewsat has a 160MHZ Conexant processor and costs only $200 US.
The Orasat has only 8MB of SDRAM where the Viewsat is double that!!!!
Stop posting BS to people.
The Orsasat is much too expensive for what you get.

anonyyy
Unregistered guest
yea the orasat 5.0 does have a ture STi5518 cpu. More RAM then cool sat 4000 pro faster CPU then pansats best selling unit. I am a orasat 5.0 owner too and i can strongly say that you are right jake orasat is a great unit. WELL WELL worth the $255 i paid. best money i ever spent. and i know it will last me years unlike my old viewsat.

ORASAT is A JOKE!!!
Unregistered guest
This is just a C00Lsat with optical output and a card reader built in. Thats it. This is obviously the same guy posting under different names trying to sell Orasat's. This is a joke for the price.
Hopefully if people are reading this they know every post on this thread, in support of these garbage unknown units, is the SAME GUY OVER AND OVER!!!!!!!!!

Dont be FOOLED
Unregistered guest
I would never buy something this unknown. It has absolutely no support on any site I check, how can anyone even get NAG2 with this crap?
I agree it is one guy who just keeps posting trying to sell this unknown piece of sh!t

Silver Member
Username: Thill1951akalk

Post Number: 148
Common sense tells U to always go with the proven product with a track record versus an unknown unproven product!...and thats irregardless of the product!...heck orasat is a new kid on the block and hardly ever mentioned at most sites,but I have seen N2 software available at dsscentral.n et...myself, I will always take experience over the rookie..

dishham
Unregistered guest
well guys its the oct 25th and the jury back dccrookie dss-newbies al7 all have a lot of good stuff to say.i am concerned about the support too,but look at rear off new c**lsat coming out in mid nov.the back of the orasat ...cant tell the diff.the word around the fourms is its made by c**lsat and supported by c**lsat coders. the bin is 100% perfect out of the shoot consistance w/ c**lsat coding.not fix after fix.i dont call 3 new bin in a week good support.c**lsat 134bin still going.cant watch tv if it stuck to your pc.all the time.c**lsat clone? nope orasat was first and has its own file out.i cant add first had experance until its here mon or tues.speed 81 mhz true that.let see what the flash does with it. compare 2500 2700 fortec ect to c**lsat speed all with 81 mhz.space star what 220 mhz you can time egg as its cooking on top of the box. DISHHAM on the fourms. good tv to all!

Bronze Member
Username: Thehitch

Fla.

Post Number: 28
For what its worth I bought a pansat 3500s and they told me later they were out of stock and the salesman tried to push the orasat, when I said no thanks, due to lack of support, thanks to this site, he ACTUALLY admitted he was under pressure to push orasat, and I opted for the c@@lsat 4000 pro.

Silver Member
Username: Spank

Post Number: 145
Here is a C & P review by TDG from another site about the ORASAT.

I was asked to eval & review this product awhile back and agreed. It only came today so I will tell what little I do know about it. It's a new receiver from Korea. It uses the st-5518 processor, 2 meg tsop & 8 megs of RAM.

Features include Svideo as well as component out & RCA connectors as well.
Dolby spdf is available thru the black RCA jack denoting it. Stores up to 4000 channels and has 5 favorites. Offers EPG, Xcypt embedded and built in C.I. (card reader) It has Closed caption, parental control, freeze and zoom. It comes with a 4 device universal remote control.

The owners manual includes a glossy pull out about how to insert smart cards, as they slide in asic up on this unit. Another glossy romte code pullout is there for programming the universal remote. On to page 1 where the first sentence makes it clear what this receivers intentions are.
"This receiver is your window to the world giving you the oportunity to enjoy BOTH Free-to-air AND encrypted channels." Thats pretty blatant, and while it can mean Xcrypt, we all know what they mean.
On to the testing..
Unit is small, black and has a pull down door over the right side that reveals a card reader and an additional bay of some sort. I d/l the necessary files and went to work. Flashes pretty much the same as a Viewsat. Similar loader, uses null RS232 cable and you select the bin and then turn unit on via rear power switch. Flash starts and finishes with a SUCC on the front LED. You can add the supplied channel list with same loader, but I found this a BIG waste of time. My ***** is same as always this receiver has no sort by SID or any available correct channel lists that work (so far). A scan of both birds took some 20 minutes and landed me 594 channels. I found the GUI (menu system) to be crude by todays standards. It did however offer Dishpro lnb type. Many features are not available that need be, and the only sort method was alphabetic (NOT what I wanted) but did work. Now that I have channels I know scattered all over the place, I started looking hard at the picture quality. It is sharp, almost grainy, a bit dark, and had visible lines on my 65" HighDef Hitachi Ultravision. This unit reportedly has a more expensive tuner than main stream units like Fortec & Pansat. I had mixed feelings about it tho. The pic is sharp, but contrast is severe, and color saturation is high. Channel changes were on a par with C00lsat and always locked in. The channel numbers appearing on my screen were HUGE an also primitive looking. The unit runs similar to a C00lsat in speed but lacks a decent GUI (interface) and EPG. While the EPG worked on a handful of channels and looked nice when used (had proper info & font) It was slow to populate and didn't populate on many channels. While better than a Fortec, it leaves alot to be desired. The unit has possibilities, but to come such a later bloomer to a game already in progress, they need to do better than this. Suggested internet retail = $250. Thats a quick review of this product, they may not like it, But thats the way it is...

2 hrs. into it and first sign of a freeze. Pixelated briefly but never froze...

Further review indicates severe freezing on certain channels.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
This unit doesn't seem very good at all for the $$$. I know not everyone likes TDG but this was a basic review of the unit and if people are thinking about getting one -I would advise against it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us