How often is calibration needed?

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 422
i have read a few reviews on HDTVs and most of the problems have to do with calibration being needed (which costs up to $200). is this problem frequent with HDTVs and do most usually need it on a certain year basis. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 109
AFAIK, unless it's a CRT based set, there;s really not much "calibration needed every year.

Are you talking about a service level convergance? Or getting the set ISF calibrated?

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/experttips/panelofexperts.html

ISF cal will run about $400 +/-, not $200 if your really picky. Regradless most sets aren't going to need a calibration every year.

(ISF cal gets the colors, grayscale perfect, etc)

On a CRt set once an ISF cal is done, yes you should do a service level convergance about once a year, and maybe remove the screen to check /clean the first surface mirror /lenses.

DO NOT USE regular window cleaner, nor leave fingerprints on a first surface mirror, or lenses. You need to use special fluid made just for that to clean.

Why?...The "Mirror" is on the FRONT side of the glass, unlike a mirror like in your bathroom in which the mirrored surface is one the back side.

Leaving fingerprints will cause the oils /acids to attack the mirror. Ditto for the wrong cleaning fluid.

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 165
Also, most of the new HD-RPCRT sets have an auto focus feature for convergence that involves hitting one button on the TV or remote control, and the set does all the work. You can also do it manually and the owners manual explains how to do it so that even the most technology challenged people can sucessfully tackle the job. Usually it will only need done again if the TV gets bumped or severely jarred.

Also, I wouldn't open up any set unless you are sure it needs to be and you have a very clean environment to open it in. Dust will collect on the lenses and mirrors like a magnet. I have also heard of some that use those green synthetic feather dusters that are electrically charged to attract dust. Works well without the possibility of introducing streaks on the mirrors.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
It may have changed in the past few years but I think remembering reading that the Auto focus, or sometimes called "Touch Focus" takes it back to the service level convergance.

The service level convergance drifts over time, so unless the auto focus is doing it's own service level convergance the set will need a tune up every so often.

Depends on the set I guess.. maybe they got the this feature to doctor after itself.

TIP: don't bother too much with a ISF, or service level convergance till at least 100 hours of run time is on the set.

It's no big deal to open the set to clean the lenses /mirror .. or adjust the focus.. You DO need a very clean place to take apart the screen assm though for the reason you give (dust).

While I agree using a feather duster may help in not leaving streaks.. there are cases in which you want to clean the lenses. Just don't soak them... Heck you can totally disassemble them if you take your time. No big deal...

I'd open up the set once per year to clean the optics.... It's not like it's a "sealed" case in which dust can't get in.

I'm glad I inspected the sets I've had because one had a foot and 1/2 long greasy "arm" print on the first surface mirror... the lenses were full of debris,and two of the lenses had finger prints on them!!!!

If I had NOT cleaned the mirror it would have degraded due to the oils and acids, ditto on the lenses.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 166
The new Hitachi CRTs use sensors located behind the screen that do adjust the convergence. It works too, I have first hand experience. The user can also manually do a 117 point for fine tuning. The manufacturers have really eliminated the need for a professional calibrator in most cases. On the Hitachi models, you can even set the magic focus on a timer so that it automatically does the adjustment at specified intervals.

If you do clean the lenses and mirrors, it's best to use a water dampened rag and a soft lint free cloth to gently dry. You have to be careful using any type of cleaner because some of the mirrors have a special coating on them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
It's been a year or so, Last time I think I used a solution made for camera lenses.. that have coatings on them.

For sure you don't want to use regular glas cleaner on them... OR the FIRST surface mirror!

If your going to use water, I'd use distilled water, not regular tap water.

On the Hitachi.. yep for years (I think) they have had that multi point user convergance...
On the auto focus... the set I had had sensors on the back of the screen also. Worked "ok" I guess, But going into the service menu to do a convergence showed it off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
It's been a year or so, Last time I think I used a solution made for camera lenses.. that have coatings on them.

For sure you don't want to use regular glass cleaner on them... OR the FIRST surface mirror!

If your going to use water, I'd use distilled water, not regular tap water.

On the Hitachi.. yep for years (I think) they have had that multi point user convergance...
On the auto focus... the set I had had sensors on the back of the screen also. Worked "ok" I guess, But going into the service menu to do a convergence showed it off.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 167
Yeah, the auto focus isn't totally perfect, but it's very close. Close enough to satisfy all people except for the elitest videophile. Looks good to my eyes.

The optics cleaner for camera lenses you are referring also works good for cleaning those mirrors and lenses. It also works good for cleaning printer/scanner beds that show every slightest smudge.

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
the hitachi i was looking at is too old so ive decided to go with the toshiba. i dont think it has auto focus. my question--will i have to put a couple hundred dollars in per year to keep it clean and running properly is the calibration things only needed every few years? thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
Toshiba should have Touch Focus /auto focus of some type unless the set is over 5 years old.

Will you have to spend several hundred per year?

NO.

PS: Make sure to run set thru an UPS...
Doesn't hurt to remove power to set while not watching.

Don't turn the tv ON for short periods and then OFF. This heats up, then cools the set.. the more heat / cool cycles the sooner it's going to get a bad solder.

Don't run the contrast /brightness UP, Don't view static images.

You deceided to go with the Toshiba WHAT?

(TIP: if you post the model number, you may get some FEEDBACK on buying that model before doing so.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 424
toshiba 46H84. it is brand new in box for only $660. im tempted, i just want to make sure i wont have to put money into it after i buy it. if i get a digital cable box and some componoent video cables, i should be set right? or are there other expenses?

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
You need to be sure the set has a HDMI HDCP compliant input or inputs if you plan on getting the latest and greatest components

http://dvi.baumannpaper.com/

Unregistered guest
can anybody here recommend a good and honest company that offers service agreements?

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Shelly, you posted in the wrong thread

Try here instead: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/126951.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us