Found a used DirectTV dish

Username: Learningsats

Sacramento

Post Number: 4
I found a used 18 in Dish Network dish.

Can I use this dish for setting up simple FTA access?

Will I need to purchase special LNBs to replace the existing?

I plan to purchase a new FTA receiver soon so I can get all hooked up. In the mean time still trying to educate myself about satellites.

David

Username: Canawolf

Post Number: 7
your good to go

HeavenBent
Unregistered guest
No.... Dish Network uses a Circular LNBF, and FTA uses a Linear LNBF. Change the LNB and you might get something, but that dish is too small I think.

Bronze Member
Username: H3lt3r_sk3lt3r

Post Number: 70
It is small, you might pick up a few sats with it, but for true FTA you should get at least a 30" dish.

GTG 4 DN
Unregistered guest
I found a used 18 in Dish Network dish.

Can I use this dish for setting up simple FTA access?

Will I need to purchase special LNBs to replace the existing?

I plan to purchase a new FTA receiver soon so I can get all hooked up. In the mean time still trying to educate myself about satellites.

David

Your GTG for DN it's all u need u might wanna add a second lnb so u can pick up both 110 and 119

Now if u have plans on using it for real fta Sat's like say T5 ur SOL u need a 30" dish or better and a Linear lnb

Silver Member
Username: Thill1951akalk

Post Number: 226
David...U need to provide GOOD and more info..The subject says

Found a used DirectTV dish

but then U say this:

I found a used 18 in Dish Network dish

These are 2 completely different dishes...is it round or oval?...how many LNB's (horns) on dish?...do they say "Dish Pro"?...what channels ,satellites,programming, do U want to receive?...either way U can probably use the dish but might have to add LNB's or change LNB's...U might want to go to www.lyngsat.com and check out the satellites and which programming they offer..Dishnetwork TV is the most popular on the 110 and 119 satellites..

Username: Learningsats

Post Number: 10
Sorry Thrill, It is a "Direct TV" dish with the letters FTI printed under the DirectTV logo.

So I understand I am good for DN with this dish and If I want true FTA I probably need to get at least a 30 inch.

So my next questions are: will I need to have both the 18 and 30 dishes if I want both DN and true FTA channels or can I just dump the 18 and get both on the same 30 in dish? Is there such a thing as putting a circular LNBF (for DN) and a linear LNBF (for FTA) on the same dish?

Silver Member
Username: Thill1951akalk

Post Number: 236
yes 30inch minimumfor TRUE FTA( recommend 36 inch) only and can have both type LNB's..suggest U join and read about dishs and LNB's at www.al7bar.tk...they have area dedicated to your scenario..

Bronze Member
Username: Getoverit

Post Number: 15
I have existing Dave dish w/ dual LNB and I think I'm just going to get a package deal on a 36" Sat and Twin LNBs. Any Ideas where???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
@Get Get

Refer to this list of sites and check for their sponsor deals:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/168756.html

Bronze Member
Username: Getoverit

Post Number: 16
Thanks,

How long has FTA been around??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
It's been around for a while, and if you're talking about a true FTA it will be around for some time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us