Pioneer DVD players??

Username: Roc383

Detroit, Michigan USA

Post Number: 10
I have read a lot in these forums about Panys, Sammys, and Denon but see little about Pioneer. Any feedback on Pioneer players? Specifically, I am looking at the DV-59Avi.

Username: Chasp

Tampa, FL

Post Number: 2
I have the DV-59,it's excellent on my Loewe 38" Aconda,and now used with a Mits 52628 DLP!

Chas

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 126
Pioneer has come a long way.

A few years back, they did manage to produce reliable DVD players but they had awful video performance. They had excess edge enhancement which translated into huge amounts of ringing and they used Mitsubishi and Fujitsu MPEG decoders which had problems with CUE.

Now, Pioneer produces some great players since they use one of the most reliable drives I've seen and use an excellent Mediatek MPEG decoder which does not have problems with CUE and is very fast and responsive to DVD menu navigation and selection.

While you're checking out that ELITE player, also check out the DV-588A. Compare side-by-side and choose the one you feel has a better picture.

Or, check out Oppo Digital.

www.oppodigital.com

- Reinhart

Username: Fidge

Sweden

Post Number: 1
I have the DV-2850, and personally, I think
it's a very good player if you don't have
a lot of cash to spend. I just upgraded the firmware to make it region free as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Roc383

Detroit, Michigan USA

Post Number: 14
These are all good suggestions. Thanks for the feedback. Money is somewhat of a concern, but mostly, I want to make sure that what I get is worth the price I pay. Im going to be matching this up to my Samsung 56" DLP, so I need a good picture quality. I currently have a DV-434, which I bought new probably 5 years ago or so, and I always thought it looked great on my 27" CRT. Now, on the 56", I realize I got hosed!

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 181
Well, for the player from Oppo, you're getting a $200 player that was outperformed only by the $5000+ Denon DVD-5910.

For the price and considering how well it works, it's a steal. However, the players are usually only available factory direct so you'll have to order from their website. Customer service is reported to be excellent. - Reinhart
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us