Help with AIMING DISH

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
I have a pansat 2700A that was hooked up to a dish 300 satellite and was only able to get 119. I recently got a dish 500 with dual lnb's and mounted the satellite. I can't seem to get a good quality reading at all on this new dish, only a LEVEL reading at 75. I have set my respective SKEW on the dish, as well as the ELEVATION. I installed it on the same place where the dish 300 was. I am sure I'm probably screwing up with the Azimuth angle. I looked at the neighbors and kinda calculated where theirs are facing. I have no compass, but I am wondering if a SF-95 meter will help me get a better level reading and quality reading by hooking it up and moving the dish around. Does anyone have any suggestions or can anyone help me get a better level reading and quality. Thanks in advance.

THlLL1951
Unregistered guest
go here and put your zip code to get elevaton and azimuth
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Satellite-Heading-Calculator.htm

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
I looked up my elevation and skew, but what if u have dish 500 and want to hit both 110, and 119.........it gives you 2 totally different angles for 119 and 110.?

THlLL1951
Unregistered guest
this calculator gives you the angles to get both 110 & 119 satelites.......

1.- first go to this site
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/installation/azimuth/index.shtml
2.- then download the "ZIP CODE PROGRAM"
3.- then type your zip code and make sure you check the little box that says "dish 500"

disher500
Unregistered guest
is your dish 500 have separate lnb's or are they encased in one. i heard the one that is encased together, can't work with fta receivers, is this true?

crapshoot
Unregistered guest
You CANNOT use a Dish 500 auto switching dual headed FATHEAD LNB or an In-line SW21 Sw41 etc. To use your Dish 500 Fat head LNB you must purchase 2 regular dishnet LNBs and use a Diseqc 4 in 1 switch. This replaces your fathead lnb and takes about a minute to install, no-repointing no hassle.

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
I have the lnb's that are encased together, except that the dish itself says DISH 500, but the lnbs are DISH PRO. I've heared that FTA Receiver's work with these lnb's. Thrill can you verify this?

Bronze Member
Username: Thill1951akalk

Post Number: 27
DP (Dish Pro) LNB's work fine with FTA receivers (Ird)...must use DP channel lists though,which are less available but are always around somewhere..Dido Smith always has a great DP channel list posted at most sites.

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
I cannot get quality signls for the life of me man..........I put back the dish 300 where it used to be without moving a single thing on it and I can't get any quality readings at all. I just wanna watch horse racing damnit!!!!

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
How do I get the azimuth angle? I have the angle I need, but how can I actually no where to point the dish?

waIdo
Unregistered guest
1.Go outside to your install site and hold a compass flat in the palm of your hand. Hold your hand still until the needle stops moving (the dark or colored half of the compass needle always
points north).
2.Rotate the compass so that the "N" (for north) is directly under the dark part of the compass needle. Your compass is now aligned with north. The tick marks around the edge of the compass represent azimuth degrees.
3.Locate the tick mark on the compass that corresponds to the azimuth number you wrote down. This is the direction of your azimuth setting (the direction the dish will need to be pointed
to receive signals from the satellite).

waIdo
Unregistered guest
Elevation is the up/down angle that the dish is pointed Depending on where you live, the satellite will be at an elevation angle between 30 and 60 degrees. Southern states point more toward 60 degrees; northern states point more toward 30 degrees.
1.Loosen the two elevation nuts so the support sleeve can rotate.
2.Rotate the support sleeve so that the elevation indicator lines up with the tick mark corresponding to the elevation setting you
recorded earlier.
3.Tighten both nuts.

IMPORTANT
Make sure that you use the elevation indicator and not the nut to line up the elevation. If your elevation is not correctly set, you won't be able to obtain a signal.

waIdo
Unregistered guest
Leveling the mast is one of the most important steps in installation. If the mast is not level, the elevation and azimuth settings will not be accurate. This will make it difficult to obtain the satellite signal.
The mast must be level in both the side-to-side and the front-to-back directions. Side-to-side leveling determines whether the mounting foot is level. Front-to-back leveling determines whether the mast is level.

waIdo
Unregistered guest
If after all this you are still not receiving a signal, you need to incrementally adjust the azimuth setting on the dish. After you receive a signal, you will want to continue to adjust the azimuth to try to get the best possible signal.
1.Using a compass, rotate the dish so that the LNB arm points to the correct azimuth heading. Loosen the support sleeve nuts as needed.
Point LNB arm in the exact azimuth direction according to your compass
2.If you do not hear a continuous tone from the signal meter , use the following procedure to adjust the dish until you hear one continuous tone:
• At the top of the mast is a piece of tape with evenly spaced tick marks. Carefully rotate the dish one tick mark to the right and pause for 3-5 seconds.
• If you do not hear a continuous tone, rotate the dish back to the original position and then one tick mark to the left and pause for 3-5 seconds.
• Continue rotating the dish one tick mark at a time further right and left from center (making sure to pause for 3-5 seconds at each position) until you hear the continuous tone, and the highest signal meter reading.
4.After you get a signal, continue adjusting the azimuth by rotating the dish in small increments left and right until you achieve the highest possible strength.
5.Tighten the support sleeve nuts so the dish won't rotate left and right.
6.Slightly loosen the elevation nuts on the LNB support arm so you can adjust the dish up and down.
7.Adjust the elevation of the dish upward and downward until you achieve the highest possible signal strength:
• Move the dish upward one tick mark, pause for 5
seconds, and check the signal strength.
• Move the dish downward (back to the original elevation setting) and then move down one tick mark, pause for five seconds, and check the signal strength.
8.When you achieved what you believe to be the highest signal strength (peak signal), tighten the elevation nuts on the support arm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Basically aim it towards Mexico!

BTW..waldo,Nice posts!

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
Thanks Waldo, thanks for your patience for dumb a$$es like myself. I will try all that you said.

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
Waldo, when I point the dish to the azimuth, do I have the have the skew and elevation set already, or have it dead straight level with the mast and then set my skew and elevation. This is super hard, I haven't got my signal meter yet....damn USPS on holiday today. Help me out. I am not getting any quality level at all...am I supposed to have a quality level of some sort if i'm close?

h3lt3r sk3lt3r
Unregistered guest
@MR_EYE_OPENER

Most of the time I first set the elevation and scew (that way you're somewhere in the ballpark) and then the azimuth, then when I get some sort of signal I begin fine tuning it to get the most quality percentage.

SatFinder and/or Di$hNet's list of area codes always helps.

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
I had the skew and elevation set, I pointed towards the appropriate azimuth, but I get no signal at all...I get a level reading, but no quality level. I don't know what else to try. I had a dish 300 pointing to 214 azimuth along with 51 elevation. I need 206 azimuth along with 54 elevation, and skew 119. It shouldn't be so much different, I don't think. But I can't get it. I'm having to climb up and down the roof all the time, just to check for signals. I don't know what else to try.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Go to http://www.satlex.net/en/azel_calc.html and you will find it.

If the sat is East from you - the skew is CCW from the back of the dish, if the sat is West - skew is CW from the back of the dish.

waIdo
Unregistered guest
the way h3lt3r sk3lt3r said is fine.
What are you useing to check your quality level?
Cable connections already checked?
Do you have the correct Antenna Settings in your Pansat?
Antenna....... 1
Type.......... fixed
Sat............ 110
LNB type....... Normal
LNB Freq 1.....11250
LNB Freq 2.....11250
0/12 Volt......... None
22 KHz tone...... None
Diseqc.............A

Antenna....... 2
Type.......... fixed
Sat............ 119
LNB type....... Normal
LNB Freq 1.....11250
LNB Freq 2.....11250
0/12 Volt......... None
22 KHz tone...... None
Diseqc.............B

(Or the settings that match your LNBs setup)

waIdo
Unregistered guest
go to site thill1951 told you. he's the most knowledge guy around.

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
Even though my settings aren't correct, like the DISEQ and that, the box picks up a quality level anyways if you're hiting the satellite. My dad has a dish 500 system setup, I took off his dish receiver and put my pansat without adjusting diseqs nor anything and the level and quality are sky high.....91% and 99% respectively. I am just moving the satellite using the azimuth, skew and elevation using the dish tool downloaded from their website, it gives you your angles and elevations according to your zip code. Mine are 206, 54, and 119 is what it tells me. I don't know how accurate that tool is though, but I know my city is nowhere near to that web site that thrill mentioned. I don't know....will the sf-95 meter be accurate? If it is, I'll just wait for it to get to me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Aligning a dish to 110 and 119 is not that technical or difficult...many can just eyeball it within 15 minutes...a very minor adjustment and wait 5 seconds will make a big difference though..use of these various calculators should put U right on the money..

Are U sure U have the factory bin and correct antennae setup?...and disque switch and good cables and connections?....this is really not a major project to follow,especially a simple alignment and factory flash , system antennae installatiom,satellite scan, and then receiver reboot..

Bronze Member
Username: Spank

Post Number: 15
From what I understand:
You can use these LNB's
Upload

You can't use these LNB's
Upload

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
Spanky, I have used both the second one from left on the ones you say that can be used and the second one from the ones you can't. Both worked fine. Only difference is the single got me 119 channels and the dual lnb got me both.

I think my problem is that my dish is on a roof top and i'm not leveled out correctly somewhere. I am not hiting any signal at all because of that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
I have used my cell phone and called into the house to save me from going up and down from the roof to check signal. Just an idea.

Anonymous

set the skew, elevation and azimuth the best way u can and then go to ur receiver and play around with ur antenna settings changing ports A to B, Sat 110 to 119, etc. and if this doesnt work maybe somethings wrong with the LNBs or switch that came with the dish.
when u get ur signal meter u will know for sure.

Bronze Member
Username: Geeker

Post Number: 25
As waldo said leveling the mast maybe your problem. I am an installer and most small dishes don't even need a skew. A level of 65 to 75 is usually a default number, it really doesn't tell you if your dish is aligned or not. Try to eleminate the skew part if you are working wiht an 18" dish and use it if you are working with 33" and above. Hope this helps.

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
I got 110 channels only. I used the signal meter and tuned it up to 5 and then slowly got to 7 or 8 by twisting and turning the dish. I went back down and checked after tightening everything up and I have like 75% quality. I am not getting the 119 channels though, and I have a dish 500 with dual lnb's. My dad has this setup as well and with my box at his place I got both 110 and 119. Am I only hitting one satellite or what could be up?

h3lt3r sk3lt3r
Unregistered guest
Sounds like either wrong diseq settings on your box or even worse a bad switch, try running a coax directly from 119 lnb to the box, see if that brings anything up. Try it with 110 as well see if the quality level goes up.

P.S. Are you using a channel list? If you are try the blind scan instead and see if it finds 119's tp's.

in the summer swelter
Unregistered guest
It must be a bad switch. Especially if the identical setup is working somewhere else. You have twin LNB's not dual right?

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
I noticed that if I connect via the DISEQ switch, I don't get any signal, but I take it off and go directly to the box and I get signal. I also noticed that if I don't put diseq 2, I can't see anything, i'll get the NO SIGNAL. I have the dish pro dual lnbs fat head, does this type of lnb have a built in switch? I know this type of lnb works, cause like I mentioned before, i've tried my box with this type of setup and fathead lnbs....it picked up both 119 and 110. I'll try the blind scan but Any ideas about the fat head having built in switch? I know my diseq switch worked with my old dish 300 system, it's not bad, but it's like it conflicts with the fat head setup.

h3lt3r sk3lt3r
Unregistered guest
@MR_EYE_OPENER

If you're talking about a dish500 lnb which has dual lnb's with 4 outputs (2 from each), then no, there are no internal switches, thats why they use a dp34 or a diseq switch with it.

I don't know dude, you must be frustrated as hell with it by now. It still seems like a wrong diseq setting.

Anonymous

Dish Pro LNB's need Dish pro channels lists!...and don't use the fat head LNB's (they have internal switches)...nothing but trouble!...thats your problems there..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
LNBF
1. Legacy:
a. single: called single legacy, one output.
b. dual: called dual legacy, 2 outputs.
c. twin: big fat lnbf, 2 outputs, has 2 SW21 switch built-in.
d. quad: big fat lnbf, 4 outputs, has 4 SW 21 switch built-in.
2: DishPro
a. single: called single DishPro, one ouput.
b. dual: called dual DishPro, 2 outputs.
c. twin: big fat lnbf, 2 outputs, has 2 independent Diseqc switch built-in
d. quad: big fat lnbf, 4 outputs, has 4 independent Diseqc switch built-in

Yes the Dish Pro TWIN big fat has built in disque switches!...it will work but U must use a Dish Pro channel list and NO disque switch..

U should have told us this LNB info earlier..

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
DishPro TWIN or QUAD LNBs have an internal DiSEq switch and use an LO of 11250
For FTA receivers the switch settings are:
DiSEq1(or A) for 119(echo7)
DiSEq2(or B) for 110(echo6,8)

Use no external switches unless you are adding a 3rd satellite/LNB to your system
You will also need to use a DP channel list OR manually edit the H transponders

h3lt3r sk3lt3r
Unregistered guest
Sorry for my post above, it was 2 in the morning and I guess I wasn't thinking straight, I was thinking of a superdish instead of a dp twin setup, sorry, listen to LK.

punjavi doo
Unregistered guest
wow.....this thread is the mother of all troubleshooting

acro
Unregistered guest
Try to get two dual legacy LNBF (two outputs each so you could eventualy add a second receiver in the future).
Run one cable from each LNB and conect 119 directly to the receiver (don't use the disecq yet), do an antenna setup from your receiver and adjust the satellite dish until you get Quality going up (just ask someone to help you out from the room while you are at the roof). After you are satisfied with Qty level just save settings. Then, repeat same steps with the other cable from 110 (no disecq yet). When finish you should be able to get your channels doing a sat scan.
Now you can conect the disecq to your receiver and you should get both birds with no problems.

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
Ok dudes, heres the deal, I have one cable hooked up to one output on the fathead dual lnb and eventhough I scan echo7 only which should be 119 channels, I get 110 channels. Do I need to go up there and switch cables to the other output and try the scan? Weather is not cooperating here at the moment. So this will have to wait.

I also have a dish 500 dual lnb but it's also a fat head. Not the dish pro. Will this work too? Both of them have only 2 output's a piece, so they are dual, not quad (4 outputs)

It's to my understanding that one output on either side of the lnb will give you both 110 and 119. I on the other hand am only getting one. Could it be because I didn't fine tune my satellite to get the best possible quality (90 %'s)that I am only hitting one bird. Again...weather is not cooperating on me finishing my fine tuning.

I know the fat head setup can work, I tried it a few days ago on a fat head setup and both 110 and 119 were downloaded and working.

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
Ok dudes, heres the deal, I have one cable hooked up to one output on the fathead dual lnb and eventhough I scan echo7 only which should be 119 channels, I get 110 channels. Do I need to go up there and switch cables to the other output and try the scan? Weather is not cooperating here at the moment. So this will have to wait.

I also have a dish 500 dual lnb but it's also a fat head. Not the dish pro. Will this work too? Both of them have only 2 output's a piece, so they are dual, not quad (4 outputs)

It's to my understanding that one output on either side of the lnb will give you both 110 and 119. I on the other hand am only getting one. Could it be because I didn't fine tune my satellite to get the best possible quality (90 %'s)that I am only hitting one bird. Again...weather is not cooperating on me finishing my fine tuning.

I know the fat head setup can work, I tried it a few days ago on a fat head setup and both 110 and 119 were downloaded and working.

bum-sauce
Unregistered guest
Dual LNB - has two outputs, used for viewing 1 single satellite slot.
TWIN LNB - also has two outputs. However, what's in that packaging is the following: 2 Dual LNB's and a switch. The TWIN is used to view programming at the 119 and 110 slots.
It is confusing needing help and saying you have a dual LNB and can only get one satellite because that makes perfect sense.

Anonymous

Dual LNB is for 2 birds..110 AND 119

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
Ok, this is what I have........please tell me if this can get both 110 and 119. If so, do I have to connect to just one output, or do I need two separate cables? Check this sale on ebay, thats exactly what I have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DISHPRO-DISH-NETWORK-PRO-DUAL-TWIN-LINE-LNB-150782-CR1_W0QQi temZ5817669883QQcategoryZ32844QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wrong Anon
Unregistered guest
For Anonymous you are so wrong:

A Dual LNB is just two LNB's...each connection can operate independently of each other so you can have two receivers each looking at different stations on different transponders. They both look at the same satellite (ie 110 Degree satellite). A single LNB only has one coax connection and cannot be used with more than 1 receiver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Mr Eye Opener, yeah that's a twin. You should be able to get both 110 and 119 with just one line.
Your diseqc should say 119 -#1 and 110 -#2 as previously stated by thill1951.
But this probably doesn't help very much as you seem to have a very frustrating problem. When you got the dish was it used or new? Maybe your lnb is shot and is worth replacing?
Here is a link for new ones in case you are interested:
http://www.dishdepot.com/lnbfs.jsp

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
Ok guys, I got my 119. After reading all of your all's latest threads, I thank all of you. I did as LK said...I put echo 7 as diseq1 and I put echo 6,8 as diseq 2. I downloaded both 119 and 110 channels and all I really need to do now is fine tune. I have 75% quality, which is good, but right now when it rained I lost a lot of signal and then it came down hard and I lost all signal.....any suggestions? It should be possible for me to get 90 % quality since I am in Texas and close to the satellites. Any body got any tricks or tips for fine tuning?

Mrs Eye Closer
Unregistered guest
Get a quality satfinder

h3lt3r sk3lt3r
Unregistered guest
@MR_EYE_OPENER

Or better yet get a friend, tell your friend to stay in the house and watch the quality on TV, while you (alone with a cell phone) go on the roof and start, VERY slowly, turning the dish either left or right, until you get higher quality level, then up or down, till you (or your friend) see the sweet 90's. You might have to scew as well, but most of the time it's not necessary.

Good luck!

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
Mrs Eye Closer..........nice touch on the name

@h3lt3r sk3lt3r

What is the best transponder to view the quality on. 2? Or how can I make sure the quality reading I get is going to be the best quality for all of my channels. Each channel has different transponders and some look flawless, while others pixelate or skip and churp (noises). When I go into the menu and I leave it on a channel that is pixelating, the quality level is down. However if I am seeing a channel that looks flawless and I go into the menu, I see the quality is way up....78%. I know I can get 90%, but I need to tweak my dish and stuff. But what is the best way to check for quality....on what transponder?

h3lt3r sk3lt3r
Unregistered guest
I'm not sure which one it is in texas (in my area it is tp14 on 119 sat), but I always fine tune it with the weakest tp and try to get the most quality out of it even if it is 55-75 (I still get a decent quality picture, until some big storm comes through), at least I'll know that others will get the best quality level possible.

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
My HRTV (404 on Echostar Package and on ECHO 6,8 Birds) is pixelating and when I check it's on 30%....so getting the quality level on this one up as much as I can, will help me get better quality on all my channels?

h3lt3r sk3lt3r
Unregistered guest
Yeah, that's the way I was doing it with TechTV (ch. 191), I was getting a jumping quality of 25 to 30, then I brought it up to 55-60 and other tp's now show a quality level of 90-99.

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
Thanks h3lt3r sk3lt3r

As coach kline would say when the waterboy's mom tells him they are having squirrel for dessert..........."EXCELLENT"

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
DUAL LNB is for 1 satellite signal (example 110) and 2 receivers...TWIN LNB aka fatboy/fathead is for 2 satellites ( Example..110 and 119) AND 2 receivers ..

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
The pictures above of LNB's have the Dual (single head)on the top row...and the TWIN's ( 2 head appearance) on the bottom row (except that triple head)...there is much confusion and use of the words dual and twin when talking about LNB's...

aimitthere
Unregistered guest
http://www.ftainstallersguide.com/satellite-system-info.html

MR_EYE_OPENER
Unregistered guest
I am at a loss here dudes, I've been trying to fine tune this b1tch and I can't hit as many transponders as my old dish 300 that would hit 119 would. I only hit some........does this mean I won't get all the channels? It totally sucks. I can only get 90% quality on a few TP's.....some of them have no quality at all.......some have 30's. What should I do. I know I can get 90%'s on all TP's. I've seen it before.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
For all who wish to use Dishpro lnbfs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dishpro lnbfs are erronously being reported as not usable with Fta receivers because of internal switch. this is not true. You can use them with no additional switch needed. The only time you will need to use an additional switch is when adding a second dish to your system. Pro lnbfs have a built in DISEQC switch not a sw21 as the legacy twin has. You can easily identify pro lnbfs by a large black D/P label. All that is needed to use this lnbf is to connect 1 cable from lnbf to rcver. Each output on this lnbf carries both 110 and 119 signals. The different outs are for connecting additional rcvrs. Load a modified dishpro channel list or modify your own list by using Gtools or channel master. To do this subtract all horiz. transps. from 25600. enter result as your new transp freq and change to vertical. IE. on sat 119 transp 6 is 12297h. doing the subtraction, you get 13303. So change transp 6 to 13303 and change h to v. Now you have 13303v And will be received dy dishpro lnbf's. To get a bit technical, the dishpro's use an oscilator that runs at 25600mhz. this is mixed with the horizontal transp freqs and new freqs are generated. If you should wish to add additional dishes to receive a third and even a fourth sat you must add a external 4x1 Diseqc switch. you must feed both port 1 and 2 with both(or in case of quad,2 )outputs. you can then add a third dish to port 3 and even a fourth to port 4. I hope this clears up the confusion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DishPro and SuperDish TP freq. settings
1=12224,V,20000
2=13361,V,20000
3=12253,V,20000
4=13332,V,20000
5=12282,V,20000
6=13303,V,20000
7=12311,V,20000
8=13274,V,20000
9=12341,V,20000
10=13245,V,20000
11=12370,V,20000
12=13216,V,20000
13=12399,V,20000
14=13186,V,20000
15=12428,V,20000
16=13157,V,20000
17=12457,V,20000
18=13128,V,20000
19=12486,V,20000
20=13099,V,20000
21=12516,V,20000
22=13070,V,20000
23=12545,V,20000
24=13041,V,20000
25=12574,V,20000
26=13012,V,20000
27=12603,V,20000
28=12982,V,20000
29=12632,V,20000
30=12953,V,20000
31=12661,V,20000
32=12924,V,20000

DishPro TWIN or QUAD LNBs have an internal DiSEq switch and use an LO of 11250
For FTA receivers the switch settings are:
DiSEq1(or A) for 119(echo7)
DiSEq2(or B) for 110(echo6,

Use no external switches unless you are adding a 3rd satellite/LNB to your system. You will also need to use a DP channel list OR manually edit the H transponders

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Thill will legacy twins work or just dishpro?

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
Legacy twins will NOT work with FTA receivers due to the sw21 built in switches,FTA uses disques switches...but they are good for Dishnet/echostar receivers using plastic cards..

Dish Pro TWINS do work for FTA due to the built in disque switches,...but are NOT good for Dishnet/echostar receivers using plastic cards..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us