Is my Toshiba TV dead?

Username: Mlaz19

Paterson, NJ USA

Post Number: 1
My rear projection Toshiba 57HX81 which was working fine, appears to be dead. Hopefully someone can help. I turned it on and got the input menu screen which showed the options, but the color was separated and the words appeared to be rolling into a funnel shape. Then it went black. The on/off button is flashing red and does not actvate the tv. I am a sports addict so I am missing the opening of the Hockey season, Baseball playoffs and Sunday Football is coming up quick. Anybody that can help would save my sanity!

Thanks,

marc

Bronze Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 75
Tonight I just sold my 57H81, it being a replacement for another set in which the digital convergence board went bad in. (Long story., Took about 8 months to get a working TV!)

Color being seperated sounds like a digital convergence board, but could be related to many things.

My advice to you would be to go down to Sam's or Costco and buy a new set. (Preferablly COSTCO, as you can RETURN a set at ANY time in the future for a full refund!!!!! NO NEED for a "service contract", like thru Sam's.)

For example at Sams I saw a 56 inch RCA, for $1,299.... and the thing had ALL kind of inputs on the back of it that the 57Hx81 does not have.

I would think that you are going to be looking at MANY hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to fix the current set you have now. Another thing to think of is "parts".

The thing is there is NOT going to be many parts for a set as old as yours. (if any) I found that out the hard way, waiting about 4 months for a digital convergence board, only to find out that they would NEVER be getting ANY, EVER.

That set was straight off the showroom floor, it was a display that had died, bought it DOA, took about 4-5 months to get a digital convergence board... and it turned out something else was amiss also, the set dying AGAIN the NEXT day!!!!

The thing is they only make so many parts, so many for the retail shipping sets, and mfg'ing so many for spares. After the spares are GONE, they're GONE. (Unless a third party maybe goes into the business of fixing the boards).

Best of luck to ya, but I think you need to look at the cost to repair, and then think about if the set needs repair again, and then fiqure out the advancements in the last few years in the new sets, and then fiqure in the price drops like that RCA I mentioned for $1,299.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Marc,

Make sure to post BACK either what the FIX was, OR what set you end up buying.

If you get the set fixed, post back the fix along with the part numbers of the parts replaced OR repaired.

I'm sure the info may prove useful to someone else looking for the same info..

Don't be one of those people who post asking for advice, then never post back the "fix".

Username: Mlaz19

Paterson, NJ USA

Post Number: 2
Well just paid $500 for installation of a replacement convergence board. You were right WeAreNotAlone69. Repair Tech told me to limit my son from playing Nintendo on this TV. He recommended not playing on any large screen TV because kids will play for hours at a time and cause the board to overheat.

I would have looked at a new set but my kid is having 20 friends over tomorrow for his 18th birthday and I would never be able to finish my research and purchase in time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
Here's a page with some Toshiba tips:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/toshiba/toshiba_tips.html

PS: It's down right now, usually it's up.

On the tech saying it would cause the "board" to heat up... I think he was bs'ing you.

On a CRT based set it's not good to have static images for any amount of time due to BURN-IN on the CRT tubes themselves... That's why you don't want to play "games" on a big screen.

Keep your contrast turned down helps alot in that respect, plus gives you a better picture.

DIG CONV board
23786519 Your Price: $84.89 EA

Description: DIGCONV PD0078C Core/DUD Value: $0.00
WAS 23786519X Total Price: $84.89 EA
Vendor: TOSHIBA Suggested Retail: $120.52 EA
On Hand: INVENTORY NOT AVAILABLE
ETA: CAN BE ORDERED

Unregistered guest
my toshiba is only 4 yrs old....for a few weeks takes a while for the picture to come on and now wont at all---picture tube? shouldnt it last longer?

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
Chris,

If you were to go down to the local auto parts store and ask for a water pump for a "car".... without giving the parts guy the mfg/year/model/engine size... Do you think you would get the right pump? (or tech advise?)

Are we to assume you have a Toshiba 57HX81? 57H81?

Unregistered guest
Have a Toshiba 53UDX10B and the picture is "ghosted" and there is a curved green line from the top left corner to the top right corner and goes about 1/4 way down screen? Any chance there are still parts available to fix this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
Toshiba 53UDX10B ????

4:3 HDTV Monitors/NTSC Televisions
Hitachi's UltraVision Digital 4:3 digital projection line features the 61 and 53-inch HDTV Monitor UDX series (61UDX10B and 53UDX10B) with D3VirtualHD digital signal processing circuitry. The UDX series also features 1,200 lines of resolution, 1080i/540p display resolution, a 5-element lens system and Magic Focus 4 automatic digital convergence system. Other features include multi-view PiP, two component inputs and SRS/BBE surround sound with 24-watt front speakers. The 61UDX10B retails for $2,999 and will be available August 2001. The 53UDX10B retails for $2,499 and will be available July 2001.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us