Bad Kitty!

Username: Dlickets

Post Number: 1
Hey all-
I have a 55" Sony rear projection TV. The other day my cat was on top of my TV and in an attempt to get off of it, he scratched the plastic screen protector. I have checked around, but none of the major dealers sell a plastic repair kit. I have found a few products online that claim to fix scratches in plastic... anyone tried these products on TVs???
Thanks for any help.
DL

Bronze Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 73
Derek,

None of the dealers are going to have a plastic repair kit. In most cases a dealer will just replace the screen $$$$$$.

For a dealer, it's too time consuming to repair a screen.

What I'd do is find out what kind of plastic is used in the screen protector.

I've used kits to polish the plastic side curtains, rear windows of old British MG's to remove scratches, and used metal polish on plastic on polycarb headlights... starting out with sandpaper (wet/dry) about 1000 grit, them working up in 1,500, etc in grit, then followed by the plastic, and or metal polish to do some headlight assemblies and some cell phones with scratched plastic.

I don't see why it wouldn't work for a screen protector IF it hasn't been "coated" with something.

Currenty I have a JVC HD-61z575 with a scrathed screen as well, thing is it's a mat finish, and I think I read somewhere it has some type of top coating so I'm not going to mess with it.

PS: If you DO find an info, please POST back and the info on this subject is very limited!!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 74
Another option may be to remove the screen protector altogether... OR maybe reverse it so the scratch doesn't show...

Look around on this site:
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/experttips/panelofexperts.html

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/sony/xbr_screenrestack.html

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 93
There are products out there that will fix it. It will be time consuming but it can be fixed. Try this:

http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/aircraft_kits.htm

It's for removing scratches from Airplane window Plexiglass. It's a series of fine abrasives in descending grades, Should work just fine for the application you are looking at. Plastic is Plastic. If your screen is matte finish just be sure and don't take it all the way down to gloss or you'll have a shiny spot. I've used this product and if used carefully it should solve your problem just fine.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1511
Lol what about removing scratches from flesh?

Just a few moments ago I was relaxing in bed watching a program about the Smiladon(sabretooth cat) on the Science Channel. I was admiring the picture on my Sammy HL-R6178 and thinking just how good the standard definition picture looked upscaled to 1080p. Well apparently the cat casually grooming itself next to me was admiring it as well.

As we were going to commercial a cutscene appeared of a computer generated Smiladon racing forward to attack. Pounce(the cat) DID NOT like this situation at all and proceded to dig deep furrows in my chest as she rapidly made her escape to the other room.

Ouch, lol.

I know, fairly off-topic, but I couldn't resist sharing. Whattaya thing of that tombong? I bet you don't you get this type of reaction from your pets with that plasma of yours.

:-)

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 124
LOL Fishy

I guess we found a big problem with HDTV lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us