Hdmi to dvi problems

Janko
Unregistered guest
I thought dvi and hdmi were the same. Found out this is not the case all the time. Bought one of those upconverting dvd players with hdmi out. My tv has dvi input. To make long story short, the colors were off especially green. Returned it. Then I found this on Secrets of Home Theater. Hope this helps someone avoid a hastle.
"DVI is an 8 bit RGB signal, while HDMI can be 8 bit RGB, or 8 bit, 10 bit, or 12 bit YCbCr. If you have a DVI source and DVI display, there will be no problem. If you have a DVI source and an HDMI display, again, no problem. If however, you have an HDMI source and a DVI display, the below-black video information may be lost in the translation. There is a bug in the Silicon Image HDMI transmitter that pops up when converting YCbCr to RGB. The HD TiVo and Pioneer 59AVi do not have this problem.

Even though source information (DVDs, HD) is all 8 bit color, if DSP is applied in 8 bit, such as in a video processor, rounding errors will toss out some of the data. On the other hand, if the data are 10 bit, such as with YCbCr, then the rounding errors don't occur. In fact, 14 - 16 bit is optimum for processing. Also, DVD data are YCbCr, and are converted to RGB in the player for the DVI output. RGB cannot represent all the data in YCbCr, and this is why the below-black information gets truncated."

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1218
Exactly. Several months ago I suggested that some experts indicate that there may be a difference in transmission-even cited an article. But no one gave it any credence.

The MOFO has spoken.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us