Cable Reception

Username: Jpatey

Post Number: 4
I recently purchased a Samsung 50 inch DLP. I have Cablevision in LI, I am a littel diapointed with the picture other than the HD, which does look great. I was on the phone with the tach last night and they were walking me through stretching the picture and all of that so I do not have the bars on the side. What is the best way to connect to the cable box so I can improve my picture on all channels. Any help is appreciated.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
It all depends on what type of outputs you have on your cable box. If you have component outputs, use them for the best picture but I'm sorry to say, anything but true HD just doesn't look as good as you thought it would. I have a Sony LCD but tried the Samsung before hand and the regular pragramming is OK but not anything to write home about. And it all depends on the program itself whether it is good quality video or not. One of our local independent stations was airing programs on S-VHS. Not pretty.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1206
In certain situations, DVI/HDMI will give a better picture than component. If your cable box has both, experiment.

The MOFO has spoken.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
Yeah, the digital cable boxes have those and would be the way to go. The price for those cables are higher so do a test and make sure you can take the cables back if you can't tell the difference.

Username: Jpatey

Post Number: 5
Thanks, for the help I was hoping there was a way to improve it without spending $150 on a HDMI cable. Grfunk, is there a reason you got rid of the Samsung for the Sony?

grfunk
Unregistered guest
I had the Samsung for about 3 weeks and I had to adjust the brightness, contrast and color all the time. I just couldn't find a setting that everything looked good. Standard Def pictures looked a little waxy on it too. It just all depended on the programming I was watching. Before the 30 day return time was up, I took my DV camcorder to Best Buy and Circuit City and took a hard look at the Sony and other LCD and DLP TV's there. I know that isn't the best test but I know what that material was suppose to look like so it was just a reference. HD looked good on the Samsung but I wanted the best that I could find for SD programs. The LCD is not perfect by all means but it was better than the Samsung. So, I brought the Sony home and was happier. Last October, there wasn't a lot of choices so other DLP makers might have a better picture now but at the time I didn't find one. I like the DLP. I saw many of them at the CES in Vegas. It's just when you get them, or any other TV home and you are watching what you normally watch, you see stuff you are not happy with. This transistion time between SD and HD is the pits. It will be a very long time before everything is in HD if ever. It costs a lot of mony to do HD and there are too many poor TV stations that are going to give you SD for a long time after we turn off those analog transmitters. I think you can get the HDMI cable from Acoustic Research for less than $50. I think Best Buy has them. That's if you want to go that route.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1215
Good choice. Samsung sucks, to put it bluntly.

The MOFO has spoken.

MOFO FanBoy
Unregistered guest
Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO
Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO vGo MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO vGo MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO vGo MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO vGo MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO Go MOFO

Gold Member

Post Number: 1219
Thank you, thank you very much.

Appreciative MOFO has spoken.

Username: Markdoh

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Samsung 30" Widescreen Flat-Tube HDTV with HDMI (TXR3079WH). I chose this set because: I needed a TV no more than 18 inches deep because of the size of my armoire; I don't have HD or even digital cable yet, so wanted a tube TV; and, it got at least average reviews from Consumer Reports and CNET. However, the picture is pretty bad. I had the cable (Comcast contractor) guy come and install a new plug and he couldn't improve it. I don't think it's the cable because I plugged in my 12-year old Sony TV and the picture was great.

My questions are:

- Is it possible that TVs like this have a below average picure when used for analog cable?
- Anything I can do to improve the picture?
- Does it make sense that I shouldn't buy an HDTV set if I'm not going to get HD for at least 2 years?

As you can likely tell from my post, I'm a video novice (and not real bright to begin with), so any help is greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

I have a problem:I hooked up 2 tv's in different rooms each hooked up directly from wall to an SA4200 cablebox to the tv. One room gets all proper channels but the other misses some of the premium channels. Switched boxes but the same TV still misses channels and the other tv still gets all proper channels. What's wrong?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us