Sony KDF-E42A10 - Digital Audio Output not working

Username: Gck105

Post Number: 1
I am having trouble with the digital audio output on my Sony KDF-E42A10. I am inputing through the HDMI input. I have tried using a DVD player and the HD Cable box. The digital audio in will work on the receiver if the DVD is plugged in directly.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I was on the phone with Sony tonight for 2 hours with no resolution. I am waiting for a call back from the next level of support. Everyone as Sony seems stumped. I am hoping the tv doesn't need repaired. It is less than a week old. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 133
I have heard of audio issues when using the HDMI port. The best solution is to hook up composite analog L/R cables for the audio to the tv. The TV speakers although decent for tv speakers are not worthy for a digital audio signal anyway, and nobody would likely ever notice any perceivable difference.

Post Number: 2
Yeah, the analog outputs work, but I was trying to get the best connections possible. I have the Digital output going to my reciever. I only mentioned the TV speakers were working to show that the HDMI was tranmitting the sound as well as the video.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 139
Okay, I think I understand what you are saying. You have your cable box hooked to the TV via the HDMI cable, and then you are outputting the optical audio output from the TV to the receiver, and no audio is outputting from the TV to the receiver, right? There are others that have had the same problem on the AVS forum. The best solution is to just hook up the analog outputs to the TV's analog inputs. For some reason, the signal does not complete through from the HDMI input to the digital output. However, with the analog inputs, it will convert to digital and output the digital output from the TV. This is a known engineering flaw from Sony.

BTW, if you use the built-in tuner, it will output the digital output from the TV with no problem.

Post Number: 3
You got it right. That seems to be the only way to do it. I am still waiting to hear from Sony to see if there is a fix.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 142
Another thing to note, this was a known problem with last years model, the WF. It appears that Sony has not taken any action to correct the problem since you have the problem with the new model. That's a disappointment and shows that Sony has no interest in correcting these minor yet still significant design flaws before introducing them to the market.

Anonymous

Here's what happened to me. I have the Sony 34" widescreen HDTV with HDMI. I have Time Warner cable of NY. The HDMI output on their boxes only gives video, NO audio. So I tried to connect the audio cables to the set from the cable box,still NO SOUND. What I found out from Sony is that the set is expecting sound with the HDMI connection and will block any other input sound source.
Just for anyone's information cause I thought there was a problem with the set. I hooked up the set with my DVI output (which is only video) from a different TW cable box,used an adapter and used audio cables. The set recognized a DVI signal and everything works fine (picture and sound) with the HDMI connection.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 163
That makes sense. With the DVI connector, the TV senses an open on the audio connection, and activates the analog audio input circuit.

Thanks for the info.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us