Dlp Question...

Anonymous

In what order would you rate the following DLP's considering quality, specs and price?

Panasonic PT50DL54 for $ 2500
LG 52SZ8D for $ 2300
Samsung HLR5064W for $ 2600

Thank you very much for your response....

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Anonymous, I'm biased because I work for RCA, but seriously, take a look at our HD50LPW175 model at Best Buy. For $1999 or less, you get DCR, HD tuner, 7-segment color wheel, and a kick-butt picture in our new cool cabinet. I believe it provides better value than anything. Over the past year, our newer models have quality numbers that equal the best in class, too.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 820
You get what you pay for. Buy at Costco or costco nline if you can. You can get a SONY wega (Much better then DLP) for $2300 WITH matching stand and lifetime warranty.

They also have th Samsung (would'nt touch it) and Pannys. ALL come with the $350 stand. No EW needed 1 year refund, lifetime store credit.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 355
"You can get a SONY wega (Much better then DLP)"

Now...that's funny!

2oo5_u
Unregistered guest
So FYI which is the better DLP out there for the CND$2500-$2800 price range (tax in)? What do you think about: www.bestbuyplasma.com ? Are they reliable in your opinion?
By the end of this week I'll buy one...but they are so many:-))
Thanks....Anything helps...

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 358
2oo5_u,

I have the Samsung R67, which is the same as the CND R64. I'm a little biased because it's fabulous. That said, the LG is a collaboration with Samsung and looks to be less expensive. I heavily favor the Phillips lamp and I'm not sure the LG uses it. I've already seen a post about one early lamp failure on a Pani DLP. It could be just a fluke, but Pani has an couple of bad lamp threads involved with their RP LCD's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 821
I think you will find many more posts in the Samsubg problem threads...LOL

And Yes the Sony technology is far superior and most certainly more trouble free according to the same post counts,

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 15
Hey Tom;

Why would someone want a Sony RPLCD with they can get a DLP with a color wheel?

I've found that:

- cooking popcorn right inside the color wheel
gives wonderful lamp flavored popcorn,
and

- pouring soda onto the color wheel as it's spinning sprays all the chairs in the room and makes them sticky

Thus, DLP can give me that true movie viewing experience.

I heard that next year, DLP makers will add sharp knives to the end of the wheel. It'll cut you Blockbuster receipt in-half to give you that ripped movie ticket stub experience, too.

:-)

Anonymous

In what order would you rate the following DLP's
considering quality, specs and price?

Panasonic PT50DL54 for $ 2500
LG 52SZ8D for $ 2300
Samsung HLR5064W for $ 2600

Answer - None of the above

1) Hitachi
2) Mitsubishi
3) JVC
4) Toshiba
5) Sony

Wouldn't even consider buying anything else as far as rear projection is concerned.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
From a technology standpoint, LCD rear projectors have the same problem as LCD panels. . .horrid color temperature tracking. As you go from 15 IRE to 100 IRE, it's not uncommon to see 3,000K to 4,000K difference. All LCD panels go blue at the low end. DLP's don't.

Bronze Member
Username: Kwallstorm

Post Number: 15
I sure like my Toshiba but also believe the JVC and Sony will give great performance.

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 16
Hey RandyM and other DLP owners,

Do guys worry about dust? I know we've talked about dust on the fans and color wheel, but what about dust on the DMD chip?

The DMD flips up and down to reflect light to the screen. What would happen if dust builds up under the mirror so its full range of motion isn't reach? And, if it can't reach the full range would there be a build up of heat, since the chip wants/needs the chip to move to a set postion but to be prohibitive by the dust impeeding its way.

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 136
Dust can be an issue after enough build-up inside. Most sets are somewhat sealed and have filters to keep the dust down. The most vulnerable places would be the lens and the large mirrors (not the DMD mirrors). The DMD chip and the LCD panels are concealled within the light engine, so they are less prone to build-up. It may be neccessary open the set to clean the dust out every couple of years or so, depending on the environment that the TV is kept in.

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 137
One other thing, don't open your set up unless you are sure it needs to be. Once open, dust will collect on the lens and mirrors like a magnet. If you do open it up, before opening, dust and vacuum around the TV really good, and then wait at least one hour for airbourne particles to settle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 847
Save yourself alot of aggravation...Buy a Plasma.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
HD Fanatic is absolutely correct in his comments. Our RCA designs are assembled in a Class 100 clean room and sealed so dust on the DMD is not a problem. Dust on the lens itself will reduce light output at some point, but since it's out of the focus point of the lens system at that point, it's surprising how much dust it takes to effect picture quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us