I have a question about 1080p DLP Tvs

Username: Saltyrhino

Post Number: 1
So ive been doing a bunch of research on all sorts of HDTVs and im looking into 1080p's. My big question, that i havent found an answer to, is that if i buy a 1080p DLP, is there any way to have the TV display the show's native resolution, or are you stuck with scaling issues? Say a game is scaled from 720p to 1080i, and it looks shitty, is there any way i can have the tv display 720p?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch guys and gals.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 352
An easy one...NO!

A 1080P set will only display 1080P.
Same goes for a 720P set.
Most CRT HD sets only display 1080I.

I don't happen to think that scaling is a problem unless you are scaling something less than 480I to a 60 inch screen. Let's face it, DVD's look pretty damn good scaled to 720P and the 1080I format that CRT's are made to display.

As for games, old boxes were made for tube sets and don't look all that good on a 720P display.
The new xBox and the upcoming PS3 will look incredible and come closer to computer gaming standards with their 720P and 1080I output capabilities. Anyone with a 1080P set will want to set the game box to output 1080I and allow the set to convert the scanning method to progressive for an awesome picture.

Username: Saltyrhino

Post Number: 2
So in short, i guess what im asking, is that should i get a 1080p set or will i be dissappointed?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 353
I'd have traded my 720P for 1080P if I had the bucks. One post I read from a Samsung HL-R5078 owner said, "it's like a window on reality".

They are pricey, though!
Maybe next year the prices will drop some.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us