480p on a Phillips LCD (26PF9966)

Username: Ryyo

Post Number: 1
Hi all, I'm setting up an Xbox on a Phillips 26PF9966 LCD HDTV, and I'm having a hard time getting 480p to work via my component video cables.

Here's my setup:

xbox >> HD AV-pack >> component cable >> Component in on HDTV

When I start the Xbox with 480p enabled on the dashboard, the xbox splashscreen display correctly, but once it jumps into the game (Halo 2 of course), the signal becomes scrambled, and my TV eventually goes to a blue screen indicating it's lost the CVI signal (component video input).

As disturbing as this is, I believe I may know the problem. In the setup screen, I have 3 possible input options:

TV
PC
HD

My component inputs are actually listed under "TV", while the HD input is referring to my HDMI input. So: is it possible that my TV will only accept 480p via HDMI? If that's the case, I'm pretty much okay with it, since the primary use of this particular display will be for next-gen 720p video games.

Let me know if this makes sense to you more seasoned HD veterans!

Anonymous

You have to use the Component to VGA cable that came with the TV. The component jacks that are on the tv are 480i only, they cant handle 480p or above. You would then press the HD button, the VGA in with the components will detect as HD-A for analog. The HDMI will display as HD-D.

Hope this helps. I have a 30 in version of this tv and it got me the first time too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us