Calling CableGuy...

Username: Bloodta

Post Number: 9
Help me CableGuy...I have a Toshiba 52HM94 dlp TV, with cablecard...I have the Seine 1.5.2 firmware update...and I use Charter Cable with the Motorola CableCard...The Cable folks finally got it to work about a month and 4 cablecards after I signed up...They said they were sending the signal from the wrong hub?...It worked for 4 days without problem, then it seems that if the TV is off for about 10-12? hours the Card quits working, the "CableCard Connected--Aquiring Channel Information..." screen comes up. What could be causing this? Sorry for the long post, but, I've seen your posts and how you really have an understanding of CableCards.
Thanks,
Tony

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 378
Tony, would you mind moving this thread to the CableCard threads in the HDTV Reception section? I'm bouncing all over these rooms, and it would make it easier to follow answers in one place. Sorry, I have an idea but I'd defer to the other room first. Hope this isn't a problem :-)

Username: Bloodta

Post Number: 10
Ok, moving now..

Username: Sandamnn

Post Number: 1
Help....I have a Sharp Aquos LCD-TV (32-D7DU)and am a Comcast customer. I just had the cable card installed. I am connected via the Digital Cable in. I get all the channels above 119, including HD programming. I can NOT get any of the lower channels? To complicate matters, this Model has TV Guide function and I can not seem to get it to access any information. The Sharp manual is very poor. Help!

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 474
Brad,

It sounds like it's not connected properly. Are their two coaxial (cable wires) connecting to your TV? There should be one on the digital tuner and another on the analog tuner. If there are not, you need to call the cable company back and have them come out and split the wire behind your TV per manufacturer's specifications. Look in your owners manual, it will show you how the cable wires are supposed to be connected to your TV for your CC to function properly.

Username: Sandamnn

Post Number: 3
Thanks Cable Guy for your response. I did split the signal. One to the digital port and one to the analog port. I can now get a strange combination of lower channels, but not all the channels. The Sharp manual is really poor. There is no mention of the needed to split the signal when using a cable card. There appears to be compatiablitity issue with the TV Guide system that controls channel line-up? In addition, no matter how I set-up the configuration, the TV tunes using "Air" not analaog cable?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 478
Brad,

It would be in your best interest to call Sharp and have them walk you through how to reset your TVGOS since you're having a problem with some of your channels. I know when you press guide it has an option at the top that allows you to go in and indicate what area your cable is connected in, to give the proper guide data for your area. They should be able to verify your settings as well as your indication it is tuning to "air" instead of "cable" might be the whole solution to the problem you are having. If it was set to air, nothing above channel 13 is going work properly.
As usual, please keep us posted as to your progress and solution to this problem.
regards,

Anonymous

I also have a sharp aquos 37" - cable card is working fine and I get all digital channels in the lineup- very nice- problem is that the on screen tv guide does not show any listings- I have spoken with sharp a zillion times- they had me reset it - still nothing- if I go into setup it always says cable input is set to analog- there seems to be know way to switch it to digital input- I have the two cables properly split as per the manual and get all digital channels- finally sharp told me that the tv guide on screen is only set up to list for analog channels!!! Can someone explain this ? how can a hdtv have something built into it that will not work with digital ? and by the way- the tv guide on screen feature worked great before I switched to digital !!! makes no sense !!!!

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 563
Anonymous~ I'm not certain as to why they only broadcast data for analog. I think it has to do with the guide data for TVGOS is usually broadcast via PBS, and it's only broadcasting analog data. It also has a lot to do with your cable provider and where they are transmitting the data from be it an analog or digtial source. Most of the guide data is designed to pulled from an analog source, and I've read from other posters that some companies are broadcasting it in the digital realm. In those cases they can't get any guide data, which begs to ask why some companies are allowed to do this? The whole purpose of the cc is to replace the need for a STB, but they they do things like this. I guess the FCC should spend a little more time going over the rules and regulations with a fine tooth comb to work out the oversights.

Sumors
Unregistered guest
Just want to echo comments from "Anonymous" regarding Sharp's on screen TV Guide, as well as listings shown on the bottom of the screen. It only shows the analog stations - no digital at all using Comcast cable. Sure wish this could be fixed, so we can take advantage of a feature we paid for.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 592
In retro after reading both post again, a quandry: With the advent of cable companies switching over to an all digital broadcast, as time and money allows them too, this is going to not only be an issue for the digital channels currently, but all channels at some point and time. I think it should be up to the manufacturers to change the location they gather the data from Gemstar. Since it currently gathers data off the analog broadcast, they will have to redirect it to read off a digital carrier. Then the fun begins...Does Gemstar have access to a digital carrier to insert the signal? Who is responsible for this data?
Well, with the advent of a 2-way CC TV, the cable providers should be able to offer the IPG again(as they stated with the 1-way version the IPG would not be available) This is only applicable for people with 2-way TV's. The people with the current 1-way are going to be left out in the dark as far as I'm concerned. I don't make these things, but I do have to work on them, and I can already see the confusion and finger pointing under current conditions, I can't wait to see what happens in the coming months. As I said before it's up to the individual providers on how they broadcast their signals, and as time goes on most if not all should be broadcasting an all digital signal. Because the TV software is proprietary to the manufacturer, there is nothing a cable company can do to force them to change how their TV interacts with our signals. You as the consumer have more power in this realm because you have purchased their product. It would seem to me that if every single owner of "X" brand were to write the company and complain about the lack of these features they would have to do something about it. The problem is there is no grassroots movement trying.

Tim from Parma OH
Unregistered guest
I just ordered a Sony Bravia 32" LCD TV - KDLV32XBR1 with a built in tuner and am looking to upgrade to HD programming using a cablecard. I was told by my cable company (Cox) that they don't have a self-installation. And they charge $29.95 for installation. Does that sound 'right' ?? They say it's a very delicate installation. ALSO, is there anything else I need to consider while getting this option. Any advice would be appreciated !!

Tim from Parma OH
Unregistered guest
Cableguy, I moved the above question to cablecard thread....after I read the rules of this forum....SORRY !!! Many THANKS for your advice & time !!

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 606
Thanks, I'm going to the other thread as well :-)

Username: Skydvr1229

Merritt Island

Post Number: 3
HELP Cable Guy.... I have a Sony DHG HDD 500 ( high def recorder) that keeps losing the hi def channels... I am using a SA cable card...Calling Sony Tech Support..is the second worst thing I could do... ( the first was buying this unit) If I unplug unit and remove cable card, the reinstall and power on... channels reappear temporarily....please helppppppp

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 665
Larry~ have you seen an error messages? regardless the best thing I can offer is to call Sony back again, demand to speak with a supervisor in tech support and report the issue. There is a problem with the device, Sony techs/engineers are aware of it and they should schedule a repair call to fix it. Usually there is an error 161-6 (similar to the TV issues with Sony and CC's)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us