Laptop/tv issue

Username: Rvinall

Post Number: 1
Ok, I got another question about hooking up laptop to TV so you can watch video on the TV. I saw there's a thread about this, but I hoped someone might be able to help my specific problem.

I have a Gateway M520CS, a decent new laptop I just got last january. Unfortunately, it has no s-video port, so I got an adapter to go from the 15-pin VGA port to a s-video cable to plug in to my TV. However, it didn't work, and I only get black and white fuzz and junk on the TV, I can't see any real picture. I got this adapter:
http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/CV-25120.html?id=voPKXP83

Is there maybe settings I can change to get it to work? It obviously recognized something, because I got the black and white fuzz on the TV. Would maybe an adapter to go from the 15-pin to red yellow white A/V plugs work, and does such an adapter even exist? Maybe my comp has no TV out capability?; I don't know how to tell if it does or not. Or am I just screwed?

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it, it's been pretty frustrating not to be able to hook them up.

Bronze Member
Username: The_nerdly_guy

Post Number: 32
You should really read this article, "How to connect a computer to your TV set". It does a really good job of explaining how to do this.

Anonymous

Reilly,

I also bought the item you got from computercasesandcables, also resulting with the black and white fuzz. If you google VGA and S-video, it becomes clear that THERE IS NO 15-pin VGA to S-video SOLUTION, and that the company just hired some monkey to slap together incompatible adapters and selling as many as they can before people get wise. Given that it's only a $5 part, it's a pretty good scam.

I'd go for a VGA to transducer to Component Video solution except that it's kinda expensive. There is a VGA to Component Video Adapter on NewEgg but am not sure if I should get it since my laptop videocard is IBM instead of ATI.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us