Good advice from Mr Lynch re: Samsung DLP

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 734
"When you have the tech at your place ask him about other brands. My tech told me his shop stopped working on Samsung DLPs because it was all they did. Samsung uses really cheap parts, so it is hit or miss getting a good set. They also don't like to pay their bills so more than a few shops have stopped servicing them. LG wasn't much better. He said Sony, Mitsubishi and JVC were his favorate to work on because they use nice parts"".

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/69211.html

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 273
"My tech told me his shop stopped working on Samsung DLPs because it was all they did."

If that were true it would mean job security for that shop. Why would they stop?
What a rediculous statement!

Silver Member

Post Number: 745
I don't not think ANY shop has to worry about job security with any RP lamp based technology. Im sure his tech is busy without the Samsung sets. And why should he wait for payment and work for nothing?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 293
It doesn't take a shop to replace a consumable lamp. They were designed to be replaced by the owner.

Silver Member

Post Number: 823
Yes they are consumed at a pretty good and expensive clip.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 882
The tech was not referring to lamp replacement. He was talking about major repairs. Major repairs on any RP set are not cheap, and most manufacturers require the shop to pay a deposit on the parts. Since Samsung DLPs are very popular and use cheaper parts, there are tons of sets that need these type of repairs. Samsung was always very slow in paying their bills and when you are a small shop you cannot afford to spend a large majority of your time working on sets made by a slow paying manufacturer. How would you like to go to pick up your paycheck only to get a note saying "I'll pay you next week"?

The tech said he really enjoys his job, but it gets very frustrating to see the same issues over and over again with the same sets. Replacing a broken cheap part with another failure prone cheap part does not make a person feel like he is really fixing a problem. More like delaying another failure.

I'm not saying you should not get a Samsung DLP. I'm just relaying the facts that a professional tech shared with me. I'm sure many, many people are more than satisfied with their Sammy DLP.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us