DLP,Plasma or LCD?

Username: Wall232

Post Number: 1
Ok, I am looking to buy a new TV, obviously, and I am unsure of which technology to go with.

I have heard so many things about each of them, it seems to me that they all have their flaws and they all have their positives.

I am a big video game player, Xbox/PS2, I also am into watching a lot of live TV as well as DVD's. Is there one technology I should go with that will make me happy?

I have heard about the "rainbow effect" as well as bulbs blowing out on the DLP's, until I heard about this I was ready to buy a Samsung DLP, but now I am not too sure. Plasma's and LCD's have their problems too from what I keep reading.

Can anyone help me figure out which stories I have heard are true and which ones are overly hyped up?

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for your input.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1669
My suggestion would be LCD.

DLP is expensive and bulky. Plasma is going to become extinct with new LCD technology.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/displays_LCD_DLP_plasma1.html

If you want to avoid the descriptions of each technology, just go to this page and check out the chart at the end: http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/displays_LCD_DLP_plasma8.html

Username: Nepenthe

Post Number: 2
Wayne,

What is your budget like?
Understand that every technology has its merits and drawbacks.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1681

quote:

Understand that every technology has its merits and drawbacks.

Obviously, that's why I posted those links.

Budget of course is important, but if you have patience and save up to buy what you really want, it won't matter.

Post Number: 2
Well, I would like to spend in between $2000 and $2500. Don't really want to go much higher then that, but there can be exceptions.

tho_x_tran
Unregistered guest
If you consider using your HDTV as a PC monitor then avoid Plasma since the PC background will worsen the Plasma burn-in effect.

It seems more LCD HDTV models offer PC input than DLP's and that's why I picked a Panasonic Rear Projection LCD. The problem with LCD HDTV is that they are still in relatively small sizes and quite expensive. If the size can go past 50" and prices come down reasonably, I think the thin LCD HDTV is probably best.

There seems to be some issue with Rear Projection LCD lamps as reported by quite a number of people.

Also note that the HDTV DVI is not for the PC connection, only those with VGA connections are.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 713
I can't tell you what to buy. I will tell you stay FAR away from any lamp based TV. The $250 lamps every year will be anissue as well as the week or more downtime waiting. Don't believe me though. Spend a day and peruse these threads. Then read the LCD and Plasma threads. You will find you need to feel lucky to have a problem free lamp based TV.

But don't believe me....Read read read.

IF you do decide on any TV especially a lamp based TTV . BUY IT AT COSTCO...They have a lifetime warranty on them (within commom reasoning). NO EW to buy NO stands to buy. The Sony 50" is 2300 with stand right now. They have Toshiba and Sansung as well. That is the best advice you will get on this board for these TVS .

BTW I do not work for Costco. You don't have to work there to see the benefit of making a big purchase like this there.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 76
Jexx, thanks for the links, but those articles are almost two years old. Things have changed quite a bit since then. I was reading them thinking it was not qutie right and then I went back and looked at the date, 02/09/2004.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 268
JimKW,

Have you decided on a set yet?

Wayne,

Welcome to the forum!

You're going to get a lot of biased opinions here.

I have a Samsung HL-R5067W DLP and it's wonderful.
I chose it over all others for it's brilliant, clear, crisp, fast refreshing picture.
It is a consumable lamp projection technology, but in my opinion, the picture is the best. It's well worth the occasional lamp, which restores the picture to like-new condition, unlike other display technologies.
I keep a spare lamp handy for no downtime.
Folks are reporting no gaming problems with the "R" series.

Silver Member

Post Number: 748
Wayne FYI is DLP4ME and a shill for Texas Instuments. I would not call any informaation fom him unbiased,

I have never owned this set or any RP Lamp based set. Just reading this forum, weeding out the
shills (biggest defenders usually one particular manufacturer) you will find out all you need to know from actual users who are screaming foul.

Buy at your own risk or buy at Costco where you can take it back if it ever fails. No EWs to buy, Just return and replace or get a refund (no restocking fee). That is the ONLY way to "beta test" this technology,

Samsung seems to be the worse of the bunch according to the amount of posts here with issues.

Just read, DO NOT BELIEVE ME. I have no special credibility at all. Just read the posts. Im doing you a favor here.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 78
FYI, I have decided, but I have not bought anything yet. If I had to buy one right now I would definitely get the HL-R5067. Just told some other guy here at work about it. He was about to buy a Sony plasma for $3,000 and I told him he should check the DLP's out before buying Plasma.

When I started looking here, I really thought my old Mitsubishi was going, but it is still working fine. It's not what I want, but with the way prices are dropping and technology is improving, I feel the longer I wait the better. I know my daughter and her boyfriend are really happy with their Samsung DLP that they have had for about two years.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1690

quote:

Jexx, thanks for the links, but those articles are almost two years old. Things have changed quite a bit since then. I was reading them thinking it was not qutie right and then I went back and looked at the date, 02/09/2004.

A bit has changed, yeah, but nothing significant enough to rule it out as invalid.

Here's something newer which involves a mix of the popular new technologies and an emphasis on plasma displays (I recommend everyone read it in it's entirety): http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/plasmaTVperformance.php

Silver Member

Post Number: 751
Wll that article should shut up those who believe RP lamp based TVs will outlast and out perform a plasma.

I know burn in was a "scare" tactic and have been saying it all along.

Its nice to be right sometimes. Your link deserves its own thread.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 287
I answered your question on that thread you created.

No! It won't shut us up.
We know the facts about chemical based displays.
With light and time, they all die!

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/163370.html

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the information everyone.

Going this weekend to check out a few TV's and see for myself.

Silver Member

Post Number: 762
"With light and time, they all die!"

But that light will last 12 years of 12 hour a day TV watching if it only gets 1/4 of the manufacturer's life expectancy

Hardly the 2100 hours the lamp based TV makers warrant their lamps for!! Thats $5000 worth of lamps in 12 years........LOL

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 300
Pure speculative bullshit, tom.

Silver Member

Post Number: 767
Yeah ok, all you readers can believe a shill for Texas Instruments (FYI,DLP4ME etc) or you can read the information I have posted from actual owners of this technology.

My proof is under your nose. His proof is all Hype and advertisement. Don't believe me. I implore you NOT to believe me, Just read the threads.

The longest ones are the "Samsung Problem" threads....go figure.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 305
More Samsungs on the market than any other display. It's not uncommon to have a few glitches with the massive numbers involved with the most popular brand.

I'm an actual owner.
You don't post my remarks.
Smurf is an owner.
You don't post his either.
Lot's of happy owners, tom.

Silver Member

Post Number: 771
Neither yourself nor Smurf will admit to any issue, He sells them You work for the maker of the DLP chip, ....Im talkin of real owners who have no axe to grind. there are many here with issues.

Not becasue they sold the most. but becasue they fail the most.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 308
Real owners, of which you're not, don't whine and b!tch like a little girl the way you do.
You're grinding everything in sight and you own none of it.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1704

quote:

Real owners, of which you're not, don't whine...like a little girl the way you do.

How many owners have you seen with broken electronical equipment?

Silver Member

Post Number: 773
Im one of the smart ones who DID NOT get seduced by the hype and buy one, I am only trying to help others do the same research I did. They may feel they will be lucky and not have any issues.

I say good luck. Im not an ownwer for a very very good reason. In fact many many reasons. they are all easily found ob these forums.

Im not whining half as loud as those who spent $4000 and are now suffering from the deepest blacks for weeks on end. They are the real whiners .

I am a warner...to prevent those newbies from becoming a whiner.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 314
A few.
After all, it is electronic equipment.
Products of humans are hardly perfect.

Silver Member

Post Number: 776
Tell that to the millions who get on fly-by=wire aircraft every day.

we are not expecting perfection, we expect to get what we pay for and truth in advertising.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 316
I think there were 3 major airline crashes already this year. Who are you kidding?

Silver Member

Post Number: 782
Yeah and over 700,000 flights!

Any other rediculous statements bozo?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 320
Resorting to name calling, I see!

That's ok. I forgive you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 786
IIm sorry I really thought that was your name after a statement like that. My Bad.

shut your mouth
Unregistered guest
bONG,
This forum is a joke for useful info largely due to you.

There is some tech info, but you have to wade thru 50 of your posts repeating the same useless garbage in each thread.

I hope you one day you get real sick and the doctor that needs info to fix YOU has to wade thru 50 posts of someone like you in the info the doctor needs.

You also have a bad habit of taking a thread off topic. I hope the doctor that one day needs the info otherwise you croke runs across someone like you and does not find the info he needs.

Better yet I hope it's someone you love, and you have to watch them suffer due to some idiot like you.

Some idiot posting crap, or maybe some idiot like you that thinks it's cool to do an attack on a site and the site goes down and the doctor can't access the info.

People come here looking for INFO, tech info to fix a problem. Very few come here before buying.

Bong's response, blah, blah, I don't care about people who have already bought, blah, blah ,blah.

Silver Member

Post Number: 787
OMG you are equating the failure of a TV with a heart attack, You need help buddy,

You are equating youe TV with your lover?
Nobody comes expecting to fix a problem
NO ONE HAS FIXED ANYTHING!

All they say is "I have that problem too" Or Call a tech" or " Gee thats not right" Or " Lets start a petition"

People come her to whine...like you are doing right now.

Deal with it or go away......

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1707
That was farfetched...

Silver Member

Post Number: 791
Some have no imagination. Its probably "To Those that say"

His eloquant letter to the mods was evidently ignored. Anyone can see I plainly just respond as I see fit and those who dislike my opinion are unregistered or post under a few names like DLP4ME aka FYI aka.........

Shut your mouth
Unregistered guest
Wrong again bNONG

I do not wish you death but instead pain, pain like your causing those that come here looking for help instead of what you post. Better yet I do wish if you or someone you love gets sick the doctor cannot access the info he needs because of some idiot like you.

Maybe then you'll understand. (pretty cool those DOS attacks, and/or thousands of posts of rubbish by some idiot like you, eh?)

Btw mr pea brain, there are doctors that do research on issues via the internet.

Thing is even with opposing viewpoints they are trying to "fix" an issue /help another doctor... unlike you bNONG.

Shut your mouth
Unregistered guest
Wrong again bNONG

I do not wish you death but instead pain, pain like your causing those that come here looking for help instead of what you post. Better yet I do wish if you or someone you love gets sick the doctor cannot access the info he needs because of some idiot like you.

Maybe then you'll understand. (pretty cool those DOS attacks, and/or thousands of posts of rubbish by some idiot like you, eh?)

Btw mr pea brain, there are doctors that do research on issues via the internet.

Thing is even with opposing viewpoints they are trying to "fix" an issue /help another doctor... unlike you bNONG.

Shut your mouth
Unregistered guest
Wrong again bNONG

Shut your mouth
Unregistered guest
Wrong again bNONG

Shut your mouth
Unregistered guest
Wrong again bNONG

Shut your mouth
Unregistered guest
Before you open your mouth mr pea brain bNONG multiple posts caused by

Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error

Shut your mouth
Unregistered guest
Before you open your mouth mr pea brain bNONG multiple posts caused by
Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error

ENOUGH ALREADY!
Unregistered guest
HEY SHUT YOUR MOUTH, OR SHOULD I JUST CALL YOU

DLP4ME OR FYI, YOUR USE OF NAME CALLING AND

PROFANITY ON THIS FORUM HAS GONE TOO FAR! JUST

BECAUSE BONGY BOY (AND OTHERS LIKE MYSELF) DON'T

AGREE WITH YOUR TWISTED POINT OF VIEW, DOESN'T

MEAN THAT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO COME ON HERE

CALLING PEOPLE NAMES. YOU ARE BREAKING EVERY RULE

PUT IN PLACE ON HERE. I AM SICK OF YOUR BS AND I

AM REPORTING YOU TO THE MODERATOR. BTW, THE ONLY

PERSON THAT WOULD HAVE SUCH A CONTINUED

PERSISTENCE AS YOU DO WOULD HAVE TO BE SOMEONE

EITHER WORKING FOR SAMSUCK OR TI WHICH YOU HAVE

ALREADY ADMITTED THAT YOU HAVE WORKED FOR. AND

YOUR CLAIM OF 30 YEARS OR MORE LIFE OUT OF A DLP

IS RIDICULOUS. EVEN IF THE DMD CHIP WERE TO LAST

THAT LONG, (AND IT WON'T), ALL THE OTHER

ELECTRONICS WILL HAVE BEEN LONG GONE, INCLUDING

THE COLOR WHEEL THAT SPINS 10000 RPMS. WHAT A

JOKE. DO YOU KNOW WHAT "SOLID STATE" MEANS? IT IS

AN ANTONYM FOR DLP.

Shut your mouth
Unregistered guest
PROFANITY ?

Were?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 327
I posted this on another thread, but it's worth repeating.

Each post is tagged with a date/time stamp and the ip address that originated it. This enables moderators to perform reverse look-ups to determine a poster's identity and/or their ISP. Internet abusers can be reported to their ISP, who can, at their disgression, suspend or terminate the abusers service if they wish.

Our moderator, whom I know well, can see which posts are abusive and who is using multiple unregistered user names. He also knows which registered and unregistered users are helpful and make positive contributions to the forum. He puts up with a lot, but he has his limits too. Some of us are right on the edge. You will know you have gone too far when your posts or whole threads begin to disappear. You will not know if you have been reported to your ISP until you receive a Cease and Desist letter.

While tom bong may be a pest seeking to escalate his post numbers to "Gold Member" status for additional fabricated credibility, he does have an opinion. To think that he will somehow shut up or go away is completely rediculous. Our moderator will not put a muzzle on him, either.
If you don't like what he says, you can comment or ignore. Same goes for my posts.

I happen to believe that DLP lamp projection technology is superior to all fading chemical based displays. I think it's catching on as one of the best large, yet detailed displays available.

I understand consumable lamp technology and feel that strides are being made to lengthen the life and reduce the cost of lamps.

Unlike tom bong, I don't group the Phillips lamp, used with Samsung DLPs, in with Toshiba, RCA, or Panasonic.
I feel that Phillips lamps stand alone as a more reliable product design.

Each time I see tom bong throw a blanket on the whole group and set fire to it, I will call him out on it. He knows that. Dishonest non-objectivity will not stand at the top of this forum as long as I'm breathing.

As for detractors, tom bong has plenty.

As for "Enough Already" or whoever you are, do your worst!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1722
A moderator? Wouldn't that be the admin? I don't recall him assigning moderators...

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 332
I guess so.
You have been around here on this forum forever, Jexx.
I'm sure you know Mr. M better than me.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1725
Not really, considering you registered only one month after I did...unless that was sarcasm...heh

I wish he would assign mods...

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 333
No sarcasm.
I didnt really notice the month.
I just saw 1720 posts.
You must hang out on another topic.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1728
Yeah, the majority of my posts are in the Car Audio forum...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us